Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 10:58 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Hmmmm I was wondering why I hadn't seen the CSC dude around for a while? No china bike I know of has those labels on the muffler. Many china bikes ARE legal. I think you are just making trouble for CSC and maybe all of us? CSC is the one and only company really standing behind there China bikes and what your doing is not going to help anyone. (I dont think your helping you) Ive read those threads I stand with CSC and I do believe you are wrong for doing this.
I hope you think better or lose your case. (for the good of us all)
They aren't actually legal without the proper labeling. Initially that's all I told CSC and I was just trying to help them out initially by getting them to make the bikes fully legal so nothing would happen down the road. I've seen similar stuff take down a large importer.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:02 AM   #47

Quote:
So I managed with the aid of some small washer's to rebuild my rear wheel. Sooooo I thought why not test ride what do I have to loose? Soooooooo Iam riding my bike and I step on the rear brake peddle and it brakes off. (there is my answer as to what I have to loose) They had not welded the foot peddle on they just tacked it. Wow these China bike are just sooooooooooooooo much fun to work on I wonder what there like to ride?
Sounds like you got a lemon of a bike, rotten lemon perhaps. Mine rides well, most others seem to as well. I think yours will once you get it runable, but apparently you're gonna have to go back through every inch of the thing which sucks.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:13 AM   #48

Head Scratching

Quote:
Originally Posted by '16 TT250 View Post
They aren't actually legal without the proper labeling. Initially that's all I told CSC and I was just trying to help them out initially by getting them to make the bikes fully legal so nothing would happen down the road. I've seen similar stuff take down a large importer.
If these bikes are as you say "not legal" all the states would not be reging them making them legal to ride on the street? The gov decides what is or is not legal NOT YOU?!
So why would you want to "take down" as you put it CSC there good guys. And if your gov will reg and plate our bikes whats the problem? My Sheriff inspected my bike and he says it legal I have the plate to prove it! ALL the states say the TT250 is legal. In all the world only YOU say there not legal? Your having no problem with the legality of your bike. No one is taking you to court for running a illegal bike sooooooo why are you doing this? Iam not joking when I ask do you work for a jap bike dealer? I dont get some people. I just wish I had a bike I could ride. You have a fine one and you dont ride it because of stuff you've made up in your own head?! Man what a world!!

Old 09-28-2016, 11:25 AM   #49

Quote:
Sounds like you got a lemon of a bike, rotten lemon perhaps. Mine rides well, most others seem to as well. I think yours will once you get it runable, but apparently you're gonna have to go back through every inch of the thing which sucks.
Ya sucks big time but I have a tig so Ill weld it. All I wanted to do is ride a motorcycle not build one from scratch or deal with all the a hats giving me a hard time for trying to find some help. All this stuff really piss's me off.

PS Iam sure once I rebuild all of this bike it will be a good bike.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:51 PM   #50

Quote:
If these bikes are as you say "not legal" all the states would not be reging them making them legal to ride on the street? The gov decides what is or is not legal NOT YOU?!
So why would you want to "take down" as you put it CSC there good guys. And if your gov will reg and plate our bikes whats the problem? My Sheriff inspected my bike and he says it legal I have the plate to prove it! ALL the states say the TT250 is legal. In all the world only YOU say there not legal? Your having no problem with the legality of your bike. No one is taking you to court for running a illegal bike sooooooo why are you doing this? Iam not joking when I ask do you work for a jap bike dealer? I dont get some people. I just wish I had a bike I could ride. You have a fine one and you dont ride it because of stuff you've made up in your own head?! Man what a world!!
I didn't decide it's not legal, it's not in my own head, the federal and Ca laws are very clear and the bike isn't legal. My intent was never to bring them down, just to make sure the bike was 100% legal. If my intent was to bring them down I would have started that ball rolling months ago. I know what can happen to owners of vehicles that are discovered to be illegal and I don't want to be left screwed if the law decides to crack down. As for the immediate impact, the closest off-road area to me doesn't let bikes in without the exhaust stamping showing that it's either street legal or forestry approved. The average street cop may not know or care, but many do. There was a push in Ca. a while back for cops to start checking labeling on bikes, one without the labeling could get you a ticket or an impounded bike. In either case I believe the bike has to be brought into compliance to clear the issue which can't be done without access to compliant parts/labels.

Had CSC initiated with trying to make the bike legal or talking to me about solving the issue instead of lying and telling me it was legal we wouldn't be here. The fact that they issued stickers clearly showed they knew they weren't legal. Those stickers don't make the bike legal, they just make the bike look closer to legal; still not solving the problem. The issuing of those labels may be a crime itself. They keep arguing that the bike is legal and basically saying I'm wrong, but having a lawsuit looming made them offer a refund which tells me they're probably not as ignorant as they're pretending to be and know that it's an illegal bike. If they decide to have this go in front of a judge I guess we'll see what happens. If the judge decides that the written law doesn't apply for some reason and that the bike is legal I'll have a document to somewhat cover myself with, if he rules against CSC who knows what else might happen.

Just so you understand, the federal and state laws both require that the bike frame and muffler be labeled by the manufacturer at the time of manufacture and that the labeling has to be something permanent that can't be removed without destruction. It's a one-two punch against the bikes. The stuff written on the stickers is another point that's shaky, but they might meet that part of the requirements.

Everyone else ignoring the law doesn't make everyone else right and me wrong. People are being pissy with me for having discovered it and pressing the issue, ok I get it. Ignorance is bliss and I often wish I could be blessed with it. And no, I don't work for any dealer, bike seller, or anything else related to the motorcycle industry. If someone in the industry wanted to use this to shut down the Chinese import competition it could be a quick way to do it.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:58 PM   #51

Quote:
Ya sucks big time but I have a tig so Ill weld it. All I wanted to do is ride a motorcycle not build one from scratch or deal with all the a hats giving me a hard time for trying to find some help. All this stuff really piss's me off.

PS Iam sure once I rebuild all of this bike it will be a good bike.
So I take it the seller has blown you off on the warrantee or did you decide that fixing it will be less of a hassle? As sucky as it is to have to do so much, at least you'll be intimate with your bike. BTW, I didn't read everything about your wheel but the "fixing it with washers" has been stuck in my head. If you had to shim it at the axle beware that you could put the bearings in a bind/side load condition that can be disastrous. Just putting it out just in case.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:18 PM   #52

Quote:
I didn't decide it's not legal, it's not in my own head, the federal and Ca laws are very clear and the bike isn't legal. My intent was never to bring them down, just to make sure the bike was 100% legal. If my intent was to bring them down I would have started that ball rolling months ago. I know what can happen to owners of vehicles that are discovered to be illegal and I don't want to be left screwed if the law decides to crack down. As for the immediate impact, the closest off-road area to me doesn't let bikes in without the exhaust stamping showing that it's either street legal or forestry approved. The average street cop may not know or care, but many do. There was a push in Ca. a while back for cops to start checking labeling on bikes, one without the labeling could get you a ticket or an impounded bike. In either case I believe the bike has to be brought into compliance to clear the issue which can't be done without access to compliant parts/labels.

Had CSC initiated with trying to make the bike legal or talking to me about solving the issue instead of lying and telling me it was legal we wouldn't be here. The fact that they issued stickers clearly showed they knew they weren't legal. Those stickers don't make the bike legal, they just make the bike look closer to legal; still not solving the problem. The issuing of those labels may be a crime itself. They keep arguing that the bike is legal and basically saying I'm wrong, but having a lawsuit looming made them offer a refund which tells me they're probably not as ignorant as they're pretending to be and know that it's an illegal bike. If they decide to have this go in front of a judge I guess we'll see what happens. If the judge decides that the written law doesn't apply for some reason and that the bike is legal I'll have a document to somewhat cover myself with, if he rules against CSC who knows what else might happen.

Just so you understand, the federal and state laws both require that the bike frame and muffler be labeled by the manufacturer at the time of manufacture and that the labeling has to be something permanent that can't be removed without destruction. It's a one-two punch against the bikes. The stuff written on the stickers is another point that's shaky, but they might meet that part of the requirements.

Everyone else ignoring the law doesn't make everyone else right and me wrong. People are being pissy with me for having discovered it and pressing the issue, ok I get it. Ignorance is bliss and I often wish I could be blessed with it. And no, I don't work for any dealer, bike seller, or anything else related to the motorcycle industry. If someone in the industry wanted to use this to shut down the Chinese import competition it could be a quick way to do it.
Sounds like BS to me but I am ignorant and happy
Must be a curse to be so smart that to the common person you just sound like you are talking jibber jabber.
Be sure and give a big long response to this reply about how gracefull you was to CSC and how sorry you are to the simple minded people on every China bike out there.
I know it must be hard for you to see all the world's problems and have to fix them
You must be anal or is it anus I don't know I am sooooooooo stupid

Old 09-28-2016, 07:37 PM   #53

California is run by the trial lawyers association, but behind the scenes. I read a recent article about a lawyer in the Bay Area who goes to small businesses, uses their restroom, and if mirrors, sinks, and signage are not to some exact standards, he sues the business under some law the trial lawyers could think up (with the help of the ADA). The shakedowns, er, settlements, are several thousand apiece, and the article was saying how this guy, and a couple others, were using the loophole. And, we are talking like an inch or 1/2 inch where a sign was off, not like a urinal was ignorantly installed and not usable by a short person--that is why the article was published (maybe even a liberal newspaper like the L.A. Times) because of how people (in California, obviously) could try to twist some law, and some do, to create a lawsuit.

I am interested to see if this lawsuit prevails, and how Californians will no longer have a CSC bike to purchase. Not every lawsuit is successful, thank goodness, and lets hope this one isn't, and that CSC has expensive lawyers they had to hire to defend themselves that need to be paid from the losing party...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 09-28-2016, 07:56 PM   #54

Quote:
So I take it the seller has blown you off on the warrantee or did you decide that fixing it will be less of a hassle? As sucky as it is to have to do so much, at least you'll be intimate with your bike. BTW, I didn't read everything about your wheel but the "fixing it with washers" has been stuck in my head. If you had to shim it at the axle beware that you could put the bearings in a bind/side load condition that can be disastrous. Just putting it out just in case.
I had to shim where the spokes go through the hub so they wouldn't pull through. I have given up on getting any parts from SP. Iam on my own with this bike. When or if I get this bike to the point I can ride it with out something braking Iam sure Ill love the little pain in the azz. If anyone has any problems with there Bashan I should come in handy.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:58 PM   #55

Quote:
I didn't decide it's not legal, it's not in my own head, the federal and Ca laws are very clear and the bike isn't legal.
I am no expert, but I think you are confusing requirements for street legal bikes with that of off-road motorcycles. Also, I seriously doubt you will get your bike impounded for not having a stamp on your muffler. I go to all of the riding areas around Southern California regularly and not one of them checks anything above and beyond your current registration (green sticker or plate).

I also couldn't find this federal or state law anywhere other than this little bit on the USFS website:

http://www.fs.fed.us/eng/pubs/html/0...7/03511307.htm

The entire page seems to mostly address OHV's and not street legal bikes, even though there is a breif mention of what a dual-sport motorcycle is. Even then, it states that even though a muffler might have a stamp, it does not guarantee that it is tested and compliant. The document clearly states that a rod is to be used to feel for the spark arrester. Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:00 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
California is run by the trial lawyers association, but behind the scenes. I read a recent article about a lawyer in the Bay Area who goes to small businesses, uses their restroom, and if mirrors, sinks, and signage are not to some exact standards, he sues the business under some law the trial lawyers could think up (with the help of the ADA). The shakedowns, er, settlements, are several thousand apiece, and the article was saying how this guy, and a couple others, were using the loophole. And, we are talking like an inch or 1/2 inch where a sign was off, not like a urinal was ignorantly installed and not usable by a short person--that is why the article was published (maybe even a liberal newspaper like the L.A. Times) because of how people (in California, obviously) could try to twist some law, and some do, to create a lawsuit.

I am interested to see if this lawsuit prevails, and how Californians will no longer have a CSC bike to purchase. Not every lawsuit is successful, thank goodness, and lets hope this one isn't, and that CSC has expensive lawyers they had to hire to defend themselves that need to be paid from the losing party...
With this stuff going on I can see CSC bikes getting more expensive. That cant be good.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:08 PM   #57

Quote:

Feel free to post here. I just think your wrong but Iam glad your here.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:54 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post

The impact could be a lot worse than just not being able to buy bikes from CSC which is swaying me towards just settling. I see no way they can recover fees in this case so I'm not worried about it.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:06 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by EachAdventure View Post
I am no expert, but I think you are confusing requirements for street legal bikes with that of off-road motorcycles. Also, I seriously doubt you will get your bike impounded for not having a stamp on your muffler. I go to all of the riding areas around Southern California regularly and not one of them checks anything above and beyond your current registration (green sticker or plate).

I also couldn't find this federal or state law anywhere other than this little bit on the USFS website:

http://www.fs.fed.us/eng/pubs/html/0...7/03511307.htm

The entire page seems to mostly address OHV's and not street legal bikes, even though there is a breif mention of what a dual-sport motorcycle is. Even then, it states that even though a muffler might have a stamp, it does not guarantee that it is tested and compliant. The document clearly states that a rod is to be used to feel for the spark arrester. Seems pretty cut and dry to me.
There are some variations in the requirements and enforcement between street & off-road only bikes, but both require labeling. The rod test does apply whether or not it's labeled, they know people gut mufflers out. A non-labeled one isn't legal to use even if it passes, altho I assume most rangers wouldn't care about the stamp as long as it's not too loud and has an arrestor. I've never heard of an off roader being impounded for non-compliant stuff, but on the road it happens, tho I assume it takes more than just a stamp issue to go that far.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:13 PM   #60

Quote:
Feel free to post here. I just think your wrong but Iam glad your here.
Thanks man. I knew I'd probably get shit around here which is part of why I hadn't posted anything about suing them. I guess I shoulda just not answered to the questions of why I was suing, but I didn't want people thinking CSC had wronged me as far as the normal parts/warrantee type stuff like you got from that other seller.

Closed Thread