Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Suggestions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2020, 03:30 PM   #1

MABDR Mid Atlantic Backcountry Discovery Routes

Anyone ever heard of these routes or done them>?
So I was trying to find a way to map enjoyable motorcycle roads because google just dont cut it. If you use google avoid highways it will avoid highways but sometimes it would be better to jump on the highway for a bridge crossing ect. Searching around and just to be clear im not promoting this route or site or even recommending it but I found this site "RideBDR" and they have back country discovery routes. I wanna say my opinion is they made the route to sell maps because you can PURCHASE THE MAP and dvds ect. Seems catered to the BMW and krl 650 ect adventure bike crowd. All of the map reviews on amazon are not great so there is that. But it was a start for the route I made. You can just use google while looking at the MABDR and set your route. Im going North to South Starting at the North part of section 7 because its the expert section. Harleton, P.A. I think? Gonna finalize it later.
There are a few routes but the one I'm looking at is the Mid Atlantic BDR. It ranks as the least difficult and is passable with a 4x4 meaning its not a single track trail. It just happens to be in my area. There is an "expert"section but on youtube it looks like rough gravel roads with river crossings.
The reason I dont like the entire route is because when you look it over there are loops and zig zags. I understand that the point is to enjoy the ride and see the sights but 5 and 10 mile loops where a 500ft cut though road puts you in the same place is so counter productive. Id rather go the same distance but travel farther if that makes sense.
Thinking about trying it with the TBR7. It would be a good test for a china bike. Maybe if it survives ill start to like it. I think 250-300 miles a day is do-able idk. Ill keep this thread updated if theres any interest.

Old 07-30-2020, 03:20 PM   #2

Ill keep this thread updated if theres any interest

there is, looking forward to it.

Old 07-31-2020, 06:46 PM   #3

Cool. I dont wanna get to crazy and I did re=route most of the first half of my trip but I figured for day 1 about 130 miles and see how it goes from there. The Most I have done in a day on the Tbr7 is 60ish Miles. I have a couple stops planned for cool down time(planned by looking at satellite maps and finding cool things), Not sure how much of a difference it will make because the top end and exhaust cools normal ,But the low end takes all day to really cool. 10 minutes of riding could be the same temps as 1hr idk.
I figured there are camp spots at 130 miles(Bear Mountain N.Y.) but if its still early and going good I can go another 60 miles to the original day 1 stop in P.A. From there its another 140ish miles to the MABDR expert section. By then maybe ill have an idea of whats realistically possible. The expert section is 10 miles and after that I get back on my own route.
All of this is loosely planned and could go in the mountains more(Skyline drive) Or just stay in the farm land,Anything but city's. I have it printed with a skyline drive route or from the same gas station go a different route. I wanted to use my new Gopro GPS for the elevation changes because I start at sea level but my PC isn't windows 10 and quik on mobile only adds speedo I think. That took the wind out of my sails about my mountain route. Also breaking down around farm land is probably better then breaking down in the mountains on the tourist routes. Its a lot to think about.
I have extra tubes, an extra chain, a gallon of T6 Rotella, 28w Solar panel, and so much im probably way over packed and I keep trying to reduce the load. The lighter the load the more enjoyable the ride. Some of the videos of the MABDR riders on 1200cc BMWs take 5 days to complete it so IDK.

Old 08-01-2020, 10:36 PM   #4

cutting the weight is always a good thing, one of my other hobbies is multi day hiking and when I started taking my 1st born grandson at the tender age of 5 or 6 I had to tote all the gear for both of us and I found out real quick what a mule goes through. back in those days just my gear for 2 or 3 days went around 30-35 pounds now 3 or 4 days goes around 20 and I could actually get it a little lower but it would cost more coin than I can bring myself to get off of. are you going to be camping or staying in motels or lodges?

Old 08-02-2020, 11:37 AM   #5

Camping. I know what you mean about the weight, looking at my basic gear and the sleeping bag is 2.9lbs ,Tent is 3.2lbs ect... I think I can leave my extra tbr7 chain behind because im not bringing my extra sprockets. The thinking being if I need the chain then I probably had sprocket issues so either bring both or none. I'll reduce it to the master link just in case I lose mine. I dont expect to do much hiking because i'd have to leave the bike somewhere.
Looking at my gear I think it will be about the same weight as 2 normal riders on the tbr7. I wanted to put my extra gas can on top of my pelican case but I don't think there will be enough space. Some of the long sections on the MABDR could be 100-130 miles between fuel.

Old 08-02-2020, 12:21 PM   #6

these items will lighten your load some. the bag is one I bought just out of curiosity and I used it down to 20F with down under wear and thick wool socks and only my toes got a little cold. with a normal base layer I would think it would be pretty close to the rating. I normally use quilts and in warmer weather that is how I used this as well. My grandsons and a friend of mine use the stove with good results and it only weighs an ounce or so. My friend has the three man tent from this company https://zpacks.com/collections/shelters
He bought after we both spent the night trying to keep our down dry in a cold rain last November. He was in a pretty good brand light weight one man tent and I was in a one man tent I bought off amazon, nature hike I think. it is a great fair weather tent and will take some light rain but it was next to useless in heavy rain and re-coating it kinda negates the purpose of buying a ultralight tent. One thing I have discovered is light is rarely cheap when it comes to camping. youtube has some good light on a budget stuff but a water tight tent is a must even if it weighs more. I added this because I realize you can only cut the needs for the bike by so much on a trip like yours. GOOD RIDING !!!

https://www.amazon.com/AEGISMAX-Urlt...%2C876&sr=8-26

https://www.amazon.com/BRS-BRS-3000T...s%2C972&sr=8-4