Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2014, 09:35 PM   #1

faded 49cc 4 stroke atv

a couple of weeks ago a co-worker asked me to see if I can get his son's atv running and give it a splash of paint...nothing too fancy considering the time of yr and I have to do it outside.

turns out he had assumed that because it was a 49cc engine that he needed to put 2 stroke fuel in it.

lucky for him they did not run it for more than 10 hrs and then couldn't get it started again and it sat for yr in the garage.

I cleaned it all up and used a wole can of carb clean on the tiny carb lol it was pretty gummed up.

got it running again.

http://vid863.photobucket.com/albums...ps00d064e3.mp4

then I started on the body and did what I could with the time frame of just sun this weekend.

needs to be redone next summer properly using self leveling primer and wet sanding ect. but this will do for now for the young man.
as you can see the once nice orange is badly faded so.....

painted the nose first.

let the black bake in the sun for most of yesterday and all of this morning.

then masked and went at the rest of it.

going to leave this sit for a few days in the shed and then put the atv back together then in a couple of weekends from now we are going to meet my co-worker and his kid and wife out at a place here to go riding for the day.

will get a couple more pics of the atv when it is back together.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:05 AM   #2

Nice! So, other than carb cleaning and paint, it doesn't need anything?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-22-2014, 11:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Nice! So, other than carb cleaning and paint, it doesn't need anything?
You got it....cleaned the carb, put a new better fuel filter on it, cleaned the tank and lines and slap some paint on it and good to go ....one of the esiest ones i have done lol

Old 09-22-2014, 11:51 AM   #4

I hope your buddy's kid is thrilled by it.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-23-2014, 02:48 PM   #5

motor

yes this is a 50 cc 4 stroke.... people think because it says 48 ml on the motor that is what it is,.,,,, they round it off to 50 cc... they are cheap motors to pick up... I had 20 of them when ZSTAR Shut down... blew them out for $100.00.. I think I have acouple left ... with the starters off.. cheaper than rebuilding them.. these are very good atvs for starters.. they hold up well..... you did a great job on the body..

Old 09-23-2014, 04:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASHLIGHTBOY View Post
yes this is a 50 cc 4 stroke.... people think because it says 48 ml on the motor that is what it is,.,,,, they round it off to 50 cc... they are cheap motors to pick up... I had 20 of them when ZSTAR Shut down... blew them out for $100.00.. I think I have acouple left ... with the starters off.. cheaper than rebuilding them.. these are very good atvs for starters.. they hold up well..... you did a great job on the body..
thanks Flash...going to re-paint it next summer using all the right stuff and let it bake in between coats in the sun.

Old 09-27-2014, 10:14 PM   #7

ok finally done.....harness re-routed, body mounted and decals applied.

took it for a burn (yes I rode it lol) and I must say that for a 49cc kids atv this thing hauls ass.

Old 09-28-2014, 01:40 AM   #8

Nice work!

Believe it or not, there's more power to be unleashed by uncorking that muffler. I did that with my daughter's 50, and the difference was impressive.