Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2014, 01:52 AM   #31

Awesome! How much of the Tail did you ride?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-24-2014, 08:04 AM   #32

I rode up the Dragon to check on a crash at about Mile Marker 7 in TN (8 miles out of 11 total) and the road was blocked there with emergency vehicles (one fatality) so I turned around and rode back home. I was wondering why there was no oncoming traffic.

Probably about 80 miles total for the day. Ran out of gas but luckily I was not on reserve on the petcock so switched over and rode home.

The bike has surprisingly good performance for a 110 cc hack. Almost done with the break in so I can do some high speed (?) runs soon. Definitely can stand a tooth or two on the engine sprocket.

All my Chinese bikes have been geared too low. The Dong Fang DF250RTB is the worse in being geared too low. Changed the rear from a 45 to a 35 and probably could use a 30.
The Sky Team monkey sprocket also needs to be changed. You just about run out of first gear when you cross the intersection.

Oh, about four people here and on the net are ordering the monkey hack. I need to get a commission from the internet dealer. Still have not got the MSOs for the two monkey bikes.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:22 PM   #33

I can see myself making dump runs with the little sidecar unit. We have no garbage pickup here, but the dump in Keaau is on the way to Hilo. Our dumps are 100% free. In the Seattle/Tacoma area, they had a $20.00 minimum charge, unless you were just bringing recycle stuff. We haul recycling, trash, and redeemable glass and plastic bottles and cans, and just do it when we are going somewhere anyway. The hauling capacity with this rig would be handy.

Let us know what a realistic cruising speed might be on that thing.

Of course, I don't know how that thing would do riding over hot, flowing lava!! We have a lava flow heading for Pahoa as I write. Pahoa is about 6-8 miles away. It is quite likely to cut Pahoa in half, and then cover the highway. That will cut off a bunch of folks in "lower Puna" from getting to Hilo for work, supplies, etc. They are working on two roads that haven't been used for a long time as alternative routes. But, if the flow crosses the highway, and makes its way to the sea, it will flow over both of these roads. Then, it's time for plan B. The people here are still recovering from hurricane Iselle, and now we have this.

Old 09-26-2014, 06:18 PM   #34

Flowing lava, WOW.

No garbage pickup here in the mountains unless you are a Cherokee. The tribe picks up for it's members. The dump is free for household garbage. Also have a place to recycle. Just took the bike crate angle iron and cardboard there today.

I need to get a GPS to check the speedometer before I can comment about cruising speeds.
Also need to add a tooth or two to the front sprocket.

Old 09-27-2014, 02:16 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
Flowing lava, WOW.
Yes!! Double whammy coming right after a hurricane?!

[/QUOTE]

I need to get a GPS to check the speedometer before I can comment about cruising speeds.
Also need to add a tooth or two to the front sprocket.[/QUOTE]

Have you found a sprocket source? Are they simply Honda replacement/aftermarket parts?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 09-27-2014, 05:31 PM   #36

All three of the mini bikes have a 15 tooth front sprocket so I would like to add a tooth or two. All need to be geared up to make first gear last more than an intersection. I'm gonna check with trexuk over on mychinamoto for type of sprocket since he has been changing sprockets.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:21 AM   #37

Added a 17 tooth front sprocket to all the monkey bikes and that made first last longer than across the intersection.

Last edited by Barnone; 07-13-2019 at 09:13 PM.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:26 AM   #38

Was the top speed increased as well? There will be a point where the engine doesn't make enough torque to use the higher gearing, and I'm wondering if you're near it.

Awesome pic! The young lady looks like she's having a great day. Your Granddaughter?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-10-2014, 09:15 PM   #39

Weld,
She is a young friend that I promised a ride in my Ural but a guy came from FL with the asking price and it was sold before I could give her a ride. She now wants a longer ride.The neighborhood kids all love the monkey hack.

I'm still breaking the monkey hack in but have seen 42 MPH on my GPS app in my cell phone. I think she has a little more.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:31 PM   #40

Barnone, how tall are you? Maybe they should make a CT clone available with a side hack?? You have a CT clone. How much roomier is the CT than they little monkeys?

Old 10-11-2014, 12:52 AM   #41

That makes perfect sense--they have a 125cc DAX clone which competes head to head with the Skyteam DAX clone, but they could clearly differentiate and move more bikes if they added a side-car to their DAX, like this little Z50 replica version. More power and taller. I am relatively short at 5'7", so either of these would be fine for me, but I could imagine someone taller than me finding the little Z50 hack a little short, but riding a DAX with no problem.

There does seem to be a trend with 3 wheelers vs. 2 wheelers for many people nowadays, and while Ice Bear has a chopper-type 3 wheeler, and several models of scooter 3 wheelers, a taller DAX replica hack would fit the bill for those who might not like three wheel scooters (i.e. me) and don't particularly like 3 wheel chopper/cruisers (me, again), but would like a hack with more power than the 110 Z50 version (here I am again, but I would still ride the 110)...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 10-11-2014, 04:21 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjn View Post
Barnone, how tall are you? Maybe they should make a CT clone available with a side hack?? You have a CT clone. How much roomier is the CT than they little monkeys?
I'm 5'11".

The CT70 clone is a lot more roomy than the Z50 clone however installing a hack on the CT70 would be much more difficult since it does not have a lower frame.

If you wanna play with a sidecar you can't beat the price of the monkey. It was about $1100 delivered.

Old 10-11-2014, 04:38 AM   #43

Grin

You could always add a bigger motor to the monkey hack but it seems to have plenty of power as is for what it is. Mine will run at least 42 GPS MPH with the 17 tooth, not sure I wanna go much faster on the hack.

I spend six months in the motorcycle riding heaven mountains of Western North Carolina where thankfully straightaways and traffic doesn't exist.

The other six months in South West Florida is a different story.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:41 AM   #44

Those Lifan 140cc engines seem to be plentiful and low-cost For about $1500, the Z50 sidecar and engine would allow me to commute to work and back (in theory--as long as it could maintain 55 for several miles) on one of those. I could deliver pizzas at night and on weekends (although I could do that with the 110)

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 10-19-2014, 02:36 PM   #45

Took a cold ride to the Dragon this morning to have breakfast with some riding buddies.
Warmed up nicely on the way home.
She is topping out at 45 MPH GPS with the 17/32 gearing and 4.00-8 instead of the 3.50-8 tires. Practical cruise on level road is 35 MPH GPS. Speedometer is 5 MPH optimistic at 30 MPH indicated.

Last edited by Barnone; 07-13-2019 at 09:14 PM.