Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 12:08 AM   #1

Odd gear patern, is it safe?

Got my new bike.

From neutral, pressing down is 1234 and 5th gear. To down shift, I kick up. 54321 neutral.
Neutral is not between gear 1 and 2.

To me, in an emergency stop, kicking gears up is un-natural.
Shifting past first to neutral, means you can get to neutral by mis- counting.

This bike is going on the road, never to see dirt. I know someone else has a problem like this. I don't have the cash to fix. Is it safe to ride.

Thanks for your time.
gy150xy new2riding

Old 04-25-2007, 12:34 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to liverchip
Wow sounds like you have a rotary type tranny. Can you post a photo or two of that motor?

2007 X-Moto(Jetmoto) GY250
--mods---
15/40 sprockets
UNI Pod Filter

2007 Shineray TMS 200XYi--Betsy
Betsy Mods:______________________
Acerbis DHH headlight
FMF Powercore pipe
Uni Pod Filter

Old 04-25-2007, 12:41 AM   #3

Sounds like a Rotary to me, most get used to it, this was one of my biggest fears buying a grey market bike from E-bay... Post some pics, I'm sure we can help you...

Old 04-25-2007, 12:50 AM   #4

I have a great camara, can take pics, but why bother taking off the farings, I'm stuck with the bike. I'd sell it if i could, but I won't stick someone else with my problem. I could swap in a used yamaha motor, but for the same price I could get a used virago. certified. I don't have the cash to change anything anyway. Either I ride it and take my chances, or store it in my garage. :oops:

Old 04-25-2007, 01:01 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to TheOtherRide
What brand is it? Where did you get it?

From what I've read, I think the hardest part is if you own 2 bikes...one like yours & one that's 1 down/4 up. That would screw a person up! I bet if you ride it a while, it'll be second nature. At least you won't have to drag your foot over the top of the pedal to downshift :?

Old 04-25-2007, 02:09 AM   #6

If you were stopping in that big of hurry wouldn't you just pull in the clutch and hit the brakes?

I think it should be fine as long as you can get used to it... But really, the important thing is your comfortable with it... Not wether or not we are..

Old 04-25-2007, 04:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherRide
What brand is it? Where did you get it?

From what I've read, I think the hardest part is if you own 2 bikes...one like yours & one that's 1 down/4 up. That would screw a person up! I bet if you ride it a while, it'll be second nature. At least you won't have to drag your foot over the top of the pedal to downshift :?
It becomes second nature very quickly, I used to have a Twin Port Jawa, which is "down" for "up changes", and a Yam XS850. Swaped between the two no bother. Pukka racing bikes use this pattern as well, come to think of it I'd prefer it.

Jonathan.

Old 04-25-2007, 06:47 AM   #8

I don't see it as a 'problem'. It's just different. You'll get used to it in no time. I had a Yamaha Tri-moto 125 with a similar pattern, except 1-5 was all up instead of down.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 04-25-2007, 07:19 AM   #9

Be careful. I've heard that on some of those rotary shifting tranny's, it goes down 12345, then neutral, then 12345 again, etc... You wouldn't want to be in the top of 5th gear and accidentally shift down again and somehow get it in first. Does yours do this?

Other than that, I guess its just something you'll have to get used to. I know, it was one thing I made sure to call the dealer I bought from and ask because I was afraid of getting a rotary tranny. IMHO, it is very shady not to disclose that information up front and to not make it very clear to any potential buyers that the bike has a rotary shifting transmission. So, who did you buy the bike from so we can put them on the black list?

EDIT: There is no black list per se. Just would be good for people browsing this forum pre-purchase to see what brand you bought so they don't end up in the same situation.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:29 AM   #10

You will get used to it. Be careful until you do. I would stick to side roads and intentionally run up and down the gears wherever possible for training.

Talk about funky shifting, I have a BSA 441 that shifts on the right. I have a Benelli Dynamo Compact that shifts 1 up 3 down non rotary.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1
You will get used to it. Be careful until you do. I would stick to side roads and intentionally run up and down the gears wherever possible for training.

Talk about funky shifting, I have a BSA 441 that shifts on the right. I have a Benelli Dynamo Compact that shifts 1 up 3 down non rotary.
The first bike my dad had, that I remember, was a Triumph 750 Bonneville chopper. Right hand foot shifter, left hand foot brake. I remember him taking me for a ride the day he brought it home, slowing down and hitting the rear brake while intending to drop a gear. He still has that helmet with a nice chip missing where my helmet slammed into his. Hehehe.

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2021 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 HP!

Old 04-25-2007, 09:39 AM   #12

Thanks folks
PENGUIN i'm gonna try right now, going from 5th to first would be deadly. The bike is a XingYue gy150xy, from Daymak.

http://www.daymak.com/bikes-toronto/.../daymak.html&2

My bike is the Eagle 150 at the bottom right of the page.
Again Thank-you for your replies. I'll post pics of my bike later. I have to go back to Daymak, they didn't give the certificate of origin, nor the manual. I can't really ride till I've got plates and insurance.
Can a non-rotary tranny be switched in?

Old 04-25-2007, 10:09 AM   #13

Well I never!
pressing down on the shifter.
1st, 2,3,4,5,neutral, 1st, 2,3,4,5,neutral, 1,2,3,4,5,n, visous circle

I have pics of the bike. I've tried to inbed them (alt/p) and stuff but I don't know how to get them to you. Can you explain how to imbed a pic?

Old 04-25-2007, 12:46 PM   #14

If it were me, I'd find another bike. That not only rediculous, it's a recipe for disaster.

Current Chinabikes: 2023 Titan DLX & 2021 Lifan KP Mini w/ 210cc BRT kit, 22 HP!

Old 04-25-2007, 01:12 PM   #15

I just spoke to daymak.
They said that if a rider makes a mistake in 5th gear and switches into 1st, the bike won't want to shift because of the speed of the clutch plates. If it did go into 1st. it probably won't kill the rider, just destroy the transmission and engine. I asked what would happen in a curve, and he got real quiet.

Hey anyone want a 1000$ dollar canadian, chinese 150cc DS?
No I didn't think so.