Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2022, 08:21 PM   #1

Overpowered Hawk battery upgrade?

So I found a thread on here about it when searching but all but one of the links are 404'd at this point lol.

This battery seems VERY weak. It's only producing 12.5 volts despite saying 13.6-14 on it? Or is that supposed to be with the bike running?

My battery is already failing under load. Says 12.5 at full charge, I hooked my battery monitor up and when trying to start the bike with electric start the battery will dip from 12.5 to 3-4 volts.

I'd prefer something that I don't have to worry about dying because I'm an idiot and tried to start the bike 2-3 times with the kill switch on.

Is there a "size" for this battery like there are for car batteries? What's a good CA and CCA for these?

Old 12-22-2022, 09:21 AM   #2

The 13+v is when the engine is running. Nominal sitting voltage of a 12v battery is 12.65v.

If it drops to 3-4v when cranking, she's dead, Jim.

As for size, anything that fits in the battery box with the terminals on the correct ends is just fine. the engine doesn't require huge CCA to start and run. Whatever fits, will be good enough. There should be a size and capacity designation on your current battery, try to match it up to that..

Something like 12v-7aH-YTX5L-BS or similar. It' that 5L-BS part that specifies the size, among other things.

Old 12-23-2022, 08:24 AM   #3

Did you ever read about the battery archeologists found that had been made in ancient Sumeria? Well, that battery is better than the one you get in a Chinese bike.

Old 12-23-2022, 09:58 AM   #4

Whoa, whoa, whoa… some of us were around when that battery was lost…

Old 12-28-2022, 12:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldenslow View Post
Did you ever read about the battery archeologists found that had been made in ancient Sumeria? Well, that battery is better than the one you get in a Chinese bike.
Lol I don't doubt it!

Old 12-28-2022, 12:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard_Cain View Post
The 13+v is when the engine is running. Nominal sitting voltage of a 12v battery is 12.65v.

If it drops to 3-4v when cranking, she's dead, Jim.

As for size, anything that fits in the battery box with the terminals on the correct ends is just fine. the engine doesn't require huge CCA to start and run. Whatever fits, will be good enough. There should be a size and capacity designation on your current battery, try to match it up to that..

Something like 12v-7aH-YTX5L-BS or similar. It' that 5L-BS part that specifies the size, among other things.
Awesome, thanks for the info

Old 01-03-2023, 07:27 PM   #7

I’ve had the bike for about three months now / 500 miles, and the battery started leaking. Can’t make better than 12.2 V sitting, and obviously they cheaped out on the battery to provide a better price point on the bike overall. I’m going with a Mighty Mouse Gelcell

Windscreen: EGO BIKE Smoke 18*16 Tinted... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019Z6VA4Y...p_mob_ap_share

16T 520 front sprocket: WPHMOTO 520 20mm 16T Chain Front... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0865YF176...p_mob_ap_share

Simple, cheap exhaust wrap: Titanium Exhaust Wrap 1" x 16'... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073ZBF72X...p_mob_ap_share

Old 01-03-2023, 09:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldenslow View Post
Much to my surprise, the battery that came with my Taotao Hellcat lasted for four years.

Old 01-03-2023, 09:12 PM   #9

I swapped the original battery on my Daytona TTK200from the old style original battery to a Sealed GS Battery model number GT6A and it made a huge difference, on the old battery I was getting starting issues and also the instruments sometimes cut out and the fuel gauge read empty even with a full tank.

As soon as i changed to a better battery all the problems solved themselves and it gave me much more confidence in the bike overall.

Old 01-06-2023, 02:03 AM   #10

The only good motorcycle batteries I've ever used are Yuasa. There may be better but not for the same money. I had one Yuasa last 8 years in a Vulcan 1500. Most other SLA bike batteries seem to last 1-2 years.

Old 01-06-2023, 09:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellkitty View Post
Much to my surprise, the battery that came with my Taotao Hellcat lasted for four years.
Shockingly the original battery in my 2020 Vader is still going strong! Coming into year 3 in a few months... I really expected it do die and not recover after the first winter.

Old 01-06-2023, 01:30 PM   #12

Me too 2 years and going strong,2021 TBR7. Hope for another year,needing front brake pads soon.4000 mile or what ever,dont really know. Love these china bikes.

Old 01-07-2023, 09:09 AM   #13

I have a Chrome battery in both my China bikes. The one in the Magician is 4 years old. When I got my Bashan used, it had a lot of problems with electrics which turned out to be the starter relay. After replacing it and the brand new Yuasa battery that was in it(wouldn't warranty because I wasn't the original owner), the Chrome battery has worked flawlessly. I actually had installed the smallest 12V Chrome battery available. Both Chrome batteries I've bought have been cheap, the last $26 delivered.

2016 Magician 250