Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2019, 10:03 PM   #1

Vader Shifter Problems

OK guys, before the purchase of my new Boom Vader, I read where people were saying that the shifter was a bit stiff. Upon putting the first 100 miles on my bike, Holy Sweet Jesus is this thing stiff. I have a bruise on the top of my foot. I know it will wear in a bit over time, but I am currently not even wanting to ride because my foot hurts. I was thinking today though, and was wondering if any of you guys have ever installed a heel to toe shifter to their clone bike?

Old 08-07-2019, 12:26 AM   #2

It might be a little stiff but not so much where you bruise your foot. Did you change the oil since you bought it? You don't want to be running it with the oil it is shipped with. I think most run 10w-40w or 15w-40w oil the is approved for use with wet clutches.

Old 08-07-2019, 12:04 PM   #3

Assuming you arent riding with flip flops, it shouldn't be stiff enough to cause that ,something is either out of adjustment or as Hellkitty asked ,what oil are you running and is it for sure wet clutch use approved?

In any event i've never seen nor heard of a heel toe shifter being installed, and due to the design /clearance of the rearset and sidecase i dont know if you can find one ,might try aliexpress / alibaba ,or possibly fabricate one.

Mine was what i'd call " notchy" on my Vader but really smoothed out between about 300 - 500miles .
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 08-07-2019, 02:07 PM   #4

How well is your clutch adjusted?

Old 08-07-2019, 11:26 PM   #5

Hellkitty, yes, I changed out the oil immediately before ever starting the bike. I used Valvoline 10W40 with wet clutch protection.

RedCrow, not flip flops, but not far from it. I was wearing mesh top sketchers for the first 50mi ride. Im pretty sure this was my issue. The second day I rode with leather top sneakers, and it wasnt too bad, but my foot was already bruised. Rode some today after installing the new exhaust with the leather shoes, and it wasnt near as bad as it was Saturday.

Silver, clutch adjustment is good. I thought of that as well, but it doesnt drag any with the lever pulled in fully, and fully engages 3-4mm from fully released lever.

Im pretty positive it was just the shoes I was wearing Friday night on the first ride. Between the leather shoes today, and it getting worn in a little more, and it felt just fine today. A little notchy going from 1st to 2nd, but smooth through the rest of the gears.

Old 08-07-2019, 11:47 PM   #6

Yeah man that sounds about right ,it is notchy enough when new to make ya foot hurt with that style footwear. Dont worry it does get a lot better , as well as the overall performance of the engine in general, they really do pep up from brand new once they get 300 or so miles on em .

I own a 2018 Gen2 Vader and i wouldnt give it up for anything, i find myself riding it more than my 04 Sporty because its just so much easier to get on and buzz around.
2020 Orion RXB250L