Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2019, 02:50 PM   #1

Location: Wheeling, WV native currently living In Natchitoches, LA
Send a message via AIM to BrianW
Helmet Cam Disappointment

This is the second time I’ve gone on a super fun and scenic ride, all the while thinking my helmet-can was catching it all. The first time I had it pointed too far down and you could only see an hour of my braking and clutching. This time I didn’t press the button hard enough for it to register! Missed was the Hawk doing a pretty impressive hill climb, me saving a huge turtle from the road way, and finally the last 20 minutes of trying to outrun a storm (I didn’t).

Learning how to use new gadgets certainly is not my forte.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:39 PM   #2

At least yours made it outside , I've had a GoPro 3 and two batteries for 9 months now ,put mounts on all my helmets ( i have 3 ) and have yet to actually put the thing on any of them and record.
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 06-17-2019, 12:27 AM   #3

I use a chest mount harness with mine, it's ok but you cant really pan around like you can with a helmet mount while you're riding, but its easy to use the controls and see what its doing. They do make remotes that you can pair up with your gopro. Just search amazon and/or youtube.

Old 06-17-2019, 12:38 AM   #4

I setup mine by sitting on my bike and doing little test recordings for just a few seconds. Adjusted it, repeat. Once I found a good position for it I actually put little alignment marks on all of the pieces for the mount so if I have to take it apart I have something to reference.

As far as the recording thing goes. I've done that once and I will probably do it again. I have a Hero 5 black, so with the mic adapter I can't use the quick capture feature if I want the audio to work. I have to turn it on, and then press the record button. Now I just start the camera before I put my helmet on and edit out the bits at the start.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 06-17-2019, 12:51 AM   #5

I love my gopro hero 5 black. Most of the gopros can connect to the gopro app, that you can find in both Ios and Android. If you have a gopro, you should use that app and connect it to the phone using BT not WIFI. Because if you do, as long you are connected to the gopro, you are disconnected from the internet.
A flaw.
About the position top helmet mount for me is the best. I aim mine to a position that in case of an accident i can record the plates.
On side note, if you are going to use the camera often, you should also get a 3TB HDD or 4TB. WD Purple is great for storing videos.

For night shots i use 1600 iso at 2.7 or 1080p i can see the plates.

Day shots i use 400 iso.