Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2021, 09:54 PM   #1

Question *HELP* Coolster 3125R Ignition Wires Smoking

Was having trouble getting my kid's Coolster 3125R started - it had not spark.

Purchased a new wiring kit and replaced the voltage regulator, CDI box and ignition wires/coil - all seemed to match, but main harness and stator did not match, so did not replace.

Noticed the in-line surge fuse by the battery was blown, so I replaced it. As soon as I hooked up the battery, the new fuse blew right away. Didn't want to give up trying to get it to run, so I jumpered it out to get the ignition light to come on. I checked spark and had spark - then was able to start the quad up! Victory.... not so fast....

Reconnected the lights and permanently fixed the ignition coil wires to the harness clip. Turned key to ON position and SMOKE! Smoke was coming from the ignition wires between the harness clip and the ignition coil. The ignition coil and the pair of wires were very hot, but not the spark plug wire.

Swapped back the old ignition wires/coil and the same thing is happening, smoke almost instantly in the two wires between the harness clip and the ignition coil. All wiring is the same as when I started it, but now its smoking. I cannot figure out what was different when it started. The only thing that changed was permanent fixing of ignition coil wires to the wire harness clip piece and plugged in the headlight wire clips, which aren't working - but am not sure if they ever did.

Would like to blame the replacement components or the jumpered in-line fuse, but in all the previous times of having the ignition on, there was no heating or smoke.

Not sure what to do now...

Last edited by phontonx; 08-17-2021 at 10:35 PM.

Old 09-27-2021, 02:41 PM   #2

Found the issue.

Two of the wire harness plugs are identical - I was plugging the wrong one in! Well, that was half the problem - was working on it while drinking and at some point also clearly wired it backwards along the way!

Old 09-28-2021, 02:17 PM   #3

Smoke

un-plug the regulator for the charging... could be it or .. your wires from th stator... plug one at a time in... and see when the smoke comes.. then you will know who is the trouble

Tags
coolster 2125r, coolster ignition, ignition heat