Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2021, 12:08 PM   #1

Kayo 150 Storm. Need to find info.

Searching thru google brought me to this forum. First of all, thanks for having me and helping me.

I got a Kayo 150 Storm from a guy who owed me some money as part of the deal. When I got the bike, the battery was dead, the fuel was old and no good and the carb was in rough shape and would not start.

I replaced the battery, replaced the carb (PZ27) I know I shoulda bought the 30mm upgrade but I had this new one I never used off of another project. I also drained and refilled the fuel with fresh 93 and put a new spark plug in it.

When I connect the terminals to the battery, the starter engages. Key on, key off, without pushing the button, if you hook up the battery terminals, the starter engages and starts cranking the engine. I took the "start button" apart to make sure it wasn't the culprit and it wasn't I ordered a new wiring harness for it from a Kayo dealer but I'm not sure this is going to fix it. However, I can start it up by hooking up the cables and giving it a bit of gas and once its running, I unhook the cables and it seems to do fine. Aside from the wiring harness, is there anything else I need to look at that could be causing this?

The next issue is that it is an absolute pain in the ass to cold start. I've found that if you pump the gas while its starting, it will eventually crank, then I have to turn the idle screw in to keep the RPMs up or it will die. Once it warms up, I can turn the idle screw down to a normal idle range and it'll hold idle. Yes I'm using the choke and all that. One thing I did notice was that the two little brass ports on the carb that stick out of the mouth on the air cleaner side will spit fuel out when starting it. I'm looking for insight on how to get it to cold crank better and why it is spitting fuel out of those ports on the carb.

Is 10W40 Motorcycle oil acceptable for this engine? Its a 140cc 4 stroke engine with a 3 speed trans. (the kick up and down trans, no clutch). The oil I drained out of it looked like diesel oil. So I threw this oil in it for now to "flush" it and will do this a few times until the oil has an acceptable color to it. Just want to make sure I am using the correct oil before I get carried away.

The last thing I'm going to bother yall about is where can I find information on this ATV. I'd like to find an owners manual or something. All I know about it is that its a 140cc motor with a 3 speed trans. I'd like to find more info on it and find a source for parts and possibly some aftermarket parts for upgrades and make it look "cool".

Thanks for all of your help. I hope I gave you all enough information to be helpful.

Old 09-19-2021, 01:22 PM   #2

Your 27 mm carb is too big for a 140cc engine ,should be 22-24mm range .The 30mm carbs are on the large size for the 250cc China engines unless you seriously mod the top ends ,with yours being 100cc smaller it’s clearly the wrong way to go .
Start with adjusting your valves ,they are probably (almost always)too tight causing low compression and poor cold starting ,things should improve from there .Any oil that’s good with a wet clutch should be fine for your bike .Generally speaking ,there are no manuals for almost any chineese bikes ,your bike was assembled much like an AMC car ,bits and pieces from many sources usually whatever parts that were the cheapest,so we get creative and find info on the engine from one place ,figure out the wiring from another ,etc etc etc ,your bike is not popular enough to have its own section of work arounds and info ,so you will need to dig through and find your own info .
Have fun !

Old 09-20-2021, 08:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces View Post
Your 27 mm carb is too big for a 140cc engine ,should be 22-24mm range .The 30mm carbs are on the large size for the 250cc China engines unless you seriously mod the top ends ,with yours being 100cc smaller it’s clearly the wrong way to go .
Start with adjusting your valves ,they are probably (almost always)too tight causing low compression and poor cold starting ,things should improve from there .Any oil that’s good with a wet clutch should be fine for your bike .Generally speaking ,there are no manuals for almost any chineese bikes ,your bike was assembled much like an AMC car ,bits and pieces from many sources usually whatever parts that were the cheapest,so we get creative and find info on the engine from one place ,figure out the wiring from another ,etc etc etc ,your bike is not popular enough to have its own section of work arounds and info ,so you will need to dig through and find your own info .
Have fun !
Thank you for the help. I adjusted the valves last night and it fired right up like a brand new bike. It makes a bit more power and will hold idle even when cold.

I pulled a PZ27 off of it so I just assumed that it came on it from the factory, I'll snag a smaller one and put it on there. Seems to be running like a top with this carb but I'll run it for a bit and check the plug to see if its running rich or not. Go from there.

I think the starting issue is caused by a bad starter relay so I'll try to track one of those down. I'm still going to put the new harness on it when it comes in because its seen better days.

After riding it a bit yesterday after checking the valves, the front brake master cyl went out. No front brakes even after bleeding. Thats next on the list.

The oil seems to be working out well. No issues with shifting. Just standard valvoline 10w40 Motorcycle oil.

I also tightened up the rear wheels, When I had it up on stands while checking the valves, I noticed they were loose. I read on here not to over tighten them so I got the nuts finger tight and then a quick bump with a ratchet just to get the castle nuts to line up with the cotter pin holes.

Slowly chipping away at it in hopes that I wind up with a reliable bike.

Thanks again.