Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2019, 10:49 AM   #1

BD125-15 Vader gen 1 chain tension question

How do I tension my chain?

The factory worker made it very tight. Do I loosen the rear axle first?
then do I tighten or loosen the double nut chain tensioners on each side?

As always any help is much appreciated!

"Life's too short not to enjoy it-So's my China Bike!"-Me

Old 04-18-2019, 12:17 PM   #2

i would give it a couple easy laps to see if it stretches into correct fit. these chains will stretch in first 10 miles or so. i am assuming it s new

Old 04-18-2019, 02:31 PM   #3

If the chain is too tight, loosen the axle nut, then loosen BOTH sides of the chain tensioners. Then hit the tire forward with your hand or use a rubber mallet, to get about the corrwect tension you want.Then , tighten the chain tensioners back down, each side a little, then other side, etc while keeping the middle of the tire sighted straight ,you dont want to tighten one side more than the other and cause the tire to be cocked to one side or the other.If you notice your brake caliper dragging, it's off to one side too much. Once you get the tension right, and the tire is aligned straight, tighten the locknuts on the tensioners, and then tighten your axle nut down .
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 04-18-2019, 05:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCrowRides View Post
If the chain is too tight, loosen the axle nut, then loosen BOTH sides of the chain tensioners. Then hit the tire forward with your hand or use a rubber mallet, to get about the corrwect tension you want.Then , tighten the chain tensioners back down, each side a little, then other side, etc while keeping the middle of the tire sighted straight ,you dont want to tighten one side more than the other and cause the tire to be cocked to one side or the other.If you notice your brake caliper dragging, it's off to one side too much. Once you get the tension right, and the tire is aligned straight, tighten the locknuts on the tensioners, and then tighten your axle nut down .
Thanks for replies.

Also I have not yet put on chain guard and late last nite when I finished assembling it in the dark I noticed the bottom part of chain hits the frame/swingarm. The manufacturer bolted rubber on the metal there probably im guessing because they expect the chain to hit there so the chain hopefully wont damage it badly..but it doesnt seem good!. is this normal? should i purchase a chain tensioner sprocket and maybe get a longer chain that can go up away from the swing arm and over a new tensioner so it doesnt hit??

Old 04-18-2019, 06:23 PM   #5

Thats normal for it to touch there when your weight is not on it - when you sit on the bike, the chain gets tighter and "should" pull it up off that contact area.

That said, i didn't like it either, and i run a motocross bike style spring loaded chain tensioner on my Vader to take some of that slack out / up ,and it also cuts down on chain slap .Here is a link to the one i used https://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Chain-T...r=562943156063

It comes in your choice of anodized colors - they can be found on Ebay a bit cheaper than this one ( which is also from Ebay) if you look around some over there.Anyways it works great , i havent had any issues running it at the speeds a Vader will do , not sure i'd run one if i was going 100mph plus, lol.
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 04-18-2019, 08:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Thats normal for it to touch there when your weight is not on it - when you sit on the bike, the chain gets tighter and "should" pull it up off that contact area.

That said, i didn't like it either, and i run a motocross bike style spring loaded chain tensioner on my Vader to take some of that slack out / up ,and it also cuts down on chain slap .Here is a link to the one i used https://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Chain-T...r=562943156063

It comes in your choice of anodized colors - they can be found on Ebay a bit cheaper than this one ( which is also from Ebay) if you look around some over there.Anyways it works great , i havent had any issues running it at the speeds a Vader will do , not sure i'd run one if i was going 100mph plus, lol.

Cool. Do you run the tensioner with stock chain or did you need a longer chain or add links to stock chain? If you have a picture of where you bolted it on that would be awesome!

I just put the first 5 miles on the bike tonight and would maybe do more but it's dark and Im still learning so...maybe I will ride again at dawn My Vader has a Chinglish sticker saying don't exceed 50KMH during engine break in period of either 300 kilometers or it says change oil every 300km not sure which

I was also wondering about shift points..? 1st is like from a dead stop just to get to second, then I've been riding 2nd to about 15mph to 3rd--run 3rd to 20-25mph then 4th. Does that sound reasonable at all? Or do you have better numbers to shift at? Im might shift at higher speeds but I am also keeping it under 5,000 rpm for now during break in so far. I also feel like maybe my clutch needs adjustment becuase before I ever started it I shifted it to N fine to roll it off the pallet then I was playing and shifted it to 1st then it had a hard time going back to N but then was fine for awhile....Now every once in awhile it either is in N but doesnt say its in any gear ...OR it sometimes says it's in N but I start to let go of the clutch and it starts to lurch like its in gear so of course I squeeze the clutch again so it wont stall..

But overall Im pretty happy...I hope I can squeeze at least 50-55 mph out of it without tinkering too much so I can go on the fastest roads in town (Not the real interstate highway--they call those with high speed limits Limited Access Highways in CT)

Old 04-18-2019, 08:33 PM   #7

You did change the oil before starting it right? That shipping oil is crap. It will be hard getting to N but it will get better as you get more miles on it.
Protaper se x110 bars/grips
1/4 MotionPro throttle
Kepspeed Braced swingarm
Chimera rear hub assy
Grom Intergrated tail light
Superlite Sprockets 17/32
custom made from Japan
Chimera Swing Arm Bolt
RK MXZ Chain #420
All Balls wheel bearings
Motodynamic fender eliminator
Coremoto ss brake lines
Composimo 2.5 lower link
Grom Calipers-w/ebc pads/rotors
Michelin tire 140&120
13x4/13x7 fatties
Grom forks

Old 04-18-2019, 08:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
You did change the oil before starting it right? That shipping oil is crap. It will be hard getting to N but it will get better as you get more miles on it.
Yes I sure did change the oil to Mobil Motorcycle 4T full synthetic 10W-40 &I think it says racing and maybe mobil 1 on it. I was looking at the API and other certifications at Walmart--which only had a few 4 stroke motorcycle oils--and the one I picked was the most up to date best certification they had--from what I could tell since i don't know anyuthing but what I can google on oils other than the decent knowledge I have about oils being synthetic or not and viscosity weights..

I had to take the two exhaust nuts off the engine so I could wiggle the exhaust several MMs out the way in order to get the oil drain off. At first I was second guessing whether I had the right bolt pegged as the oil drain since it was impossible to get off with the exhaust blocking it before I loosened the exhaust! and the oil hits the exhaust a little when I drain it too..but oh well it isn't too hard and it works.

I hope the shifting does get better and hopefully my skills will get better too lol I also heard the bike performs better after time. I remember someone complaining that their bike shook a lot and someone else said their Vader is really smooth under the same conditions then they told them how to fix it...but I can't remember how if it was like idle air/fuel or jetting or oil or what. mine vibrates a bit on the rear fender but isnt too bad

What are your thoughts Whisky on what rpm/speed should riders be shifting gears on thier Vader?

Last edited by sirmaxwell; 04-18-2019 at 10:19 PM.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:40 PM   #9

I usually shifted between 5 and 7 rpm, I'm not into speed, I just Cruz around, easy going, no rush and yes I do have a 190cc waiting to go in but not for speed. I personally wouldn't be running straight synthetic oil for break in period, that's just me, maybe it doesn't matter. My bike vibrates too but not as much as it did but I also have changed some of the China parts out. The bike is going to be feeding from your wallet for mods, wait and see.
1/4 MotionPro throttle
Kepspeed Braced swingarm
Chimera rear hub assy
custom made from Japan
Chimera Swing Arm Bolt
RK MXZ Chain #420
All Balls wheel bearings
Coremoto ss brake lines
Composimo 2.5 lower link
Michelin tire 140&120
13x4/13x7 fatties
Grom forks

Old 04-19-2019, 01:19 AM   #10

Quote:
The bike is going to be feeding from your wallet for mods, wait and see.

Yeah....I can see that in my future...even frequent oil changes can add up.

I only have like 5 miles on mine and already want flush mount blinkers because the factory ones are begging to be broken and the only damage mine shipped with was one front blinker had the rubber spacer ripped so I taped it but that tape didnt hold to rubber well so it's hanging...4 now.
Plus I want some kind of trunk/saddlebags. I see nice looking ones ranging from $20 for nylon saddlebags or plastic trunk boxes to $50 for really nice leather or canvas ones doing a quick search on Amazon. of course there are way more expensive options but realistically I wouldn't even consider paying more than $10--$50 for storage and maybe i will even use whatever I have in my house. I just dont want to use an ugly milk crate but it would work...
Also I really want the bar end mirrors..I think. I just dont like the ones that go straight upwards from the handlebars from my experience with scooters that have the same mirrors style as the factory Vader

I might look into motorcycle oil more and see if there is a different kind with a better clutch additive. This was the first time I have ever had to change motorcycle oil so I really don't know what's best and I have read in the past there are many different certifications the American Petroleum Institute gives oil so it can be a lot to remember or think about

I don't care much about speed either. I am riding because I like being on 2 wheels in good weather. But I guess i do care to the extent I need to be able to go the speed limit and there are many 35-40mph roads in my town and even one stretch of 45mph speed limit.
I was more asking about shift points as far as what is good for making the bike last and not abusing it. I have shifted a little below 5k RPM every time so far

Old 04-19-2019, 02:14 AM   #11

Surprisingly I still have the factory turn signals I do have flush mount ones and the integrated turn signal tail light waiting to go on. The mirrors your right got to go. Protaper bars are a huuge improvement as are better tires. V rubber tires that come with most clones are dangerous so be careful if you have those. These are a few items I replaced right away. Now I really don't even pay attention to shift rpm or the speedometer, I just go with the flow. Speed limits around here where I ride are 35- 55
1/4 MotionPro throttle
Kepspeed Braced swingarm
Chimera rear hub assy
custom made from Japan
Chimera Swing Arm Bolt
RK MXZ Chain #420
All Balls wheel bearings
Coremoto ss brake lines
Composimo 2.5 lower link
Michelin tire 140&120
13x4/13x7 fatties
Grom forks

Old 04-19-2019, 05:45 AM   #12

You can run the chain tensioner with the stock chain, i will try to post a pic later of where i have mine on the swing arm , but it sorta "self locates " once you get it placed

on the swing arm , just looking at it you will see where it's best at keeping the chain

up off the swingarm as well as keeping "slap " down . I'll post a pic tho and give a measurement of some kind and explain from where to where I measured.
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 04-19-2019, 05:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Surprisingly I still have the factory turn signals I do have flush mount ones and the integrated turn signal tail light waiting to go on. The mirrors your right got to go. Protaper bars are a huuge improvement as are better tires. V rubber tires that come with most clones are dangerous so be careful if you have those. These are a few items I replaced right away. Now I really don't even pay attention to shift rpm or the speedometer, I just go with the flow. Speed limits around here where I ride are 35- 55
I would eventually like the integrated tail light/turn signal/rear fender eliminator but for now it's ok as long as I dont accidentaly kick the rear signals off when mounting the bike!

I always wondered about Pro-Taper bars. I know they look cool and they have a padded level higher I am guessing to protect you in an accident. I am not too sure if there is another reason they are better bars than stock?

I have stock tires on but I have a spare 12" scooter tire I bought last year link:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008PGL69K...d_i=B008PGL69K and I may check it out to see if it has better tread or save it as a spare but I don't think its a great tire either although maybe ok for good weather not riding fast or cornering hard. I want something like these Pirelli with beefy treads https://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tub...2260&rrec=true.

I don't know what V rubber tire means exactly but I'm guessing it is dangerous in any kind of bad weather or sudden braking situation. I had tires like the stock Vader ones on my scooter last year and wiped out twice going maybe 10MPH or less with wet pavement because I got worried about nearby cars pulling out in front of me. One time the ground was damp and I used both brakes but hard so my rear locked and I slid, fell down spilling gas all over myself. One of the sad parts was I was still 15 feet away from the car even after skidding a little and falling. I guess it happened due to inexperience and I had just hit the gas hard from a stop, saw the car pulling into my path and jammed on my rear brake that I had just tightened before that ride.. but that was very early into my riding experience and I wasnt hurt badly, the worst was the gasoline got on my pants, boxers and started hurting on the ride home lol I thought I was just experiencing delayed soreness at first. Boy did that burn!!!

Old 04-19-2019, 06:35 AM   #14

Quote:
You can run the chain tensioner with the stock chain, i will try to post a pic later of where i have mine on the swing arm , but it sorta "self locates " once you get it placed

on the swing arm , just looking at it you will see where it's best at keeping the chain

up off the swingarm as well as keeping "slap " down . I'll post a pic tho and give a measurement of some kind and explain from where to where I measured.
I appreciate your replies. Im sure I could look at it and figure it out but a picture would help..Im guessing you drilled new holes to mount it or did ya use the chain guard holes? Can't help but notice you are listed in FL. I have family there I will be visiting soon and maybe moving next to Daytona Beach

Old 04-19-2019, 12:53 PM   #15

You dont have to drill any holes , it clamps onto the swingarm , and you can use the chain guard with it as well. I'll try to get a pic up today ,in fact when i get the pic i'll try to edit it into this post . Takes maybe 5 - 10 minutes to install it and thats if you spend

5 of the 10 minutes finding the right allen wrench like me lol .
2020 Orion RXB250L