Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2021, 06:09 AM   #1

Boom vader intake manifold gasket failure

Hi all-

My vader blows the paper intake manifold gasket on every ride. It has less than 500km on it, less than 300 miles, still in the break in period?

I'm running a vm22, 30 pilot, 26 degree float, 110 main, AF mixture screw 1.5 out.

The gasket blow up after a long straight away of full throttle, going for speed runs.. getting 56mph tops. Not bad.

So usually the gasket fails after a long run and I believe on deceleration. Research lead me to believe it has a lot to do with HEAT. anybody else experiencing this? Is an oil cooler a good solution for this? Would cooling the oil help keep heat at the intake down?

I'm going to not go full throttle on the next ride, see what happens.

Old 12-03-2021, 08:10 AM   #2

Are you talking about the gasket between the head and the intake manifold? Make sure the mounting bolts aren't bottoming out in the head before they fully snug up the manifold, and also try a light coating of wheel bearing grease on the gasket before installing it.

Old 12-03-2021, 09:28 AM   #3

A gasket on your intake manifold should NEVER blow out. If that's the case, you're having a timing issue, and backfiring. Also, IIRC, it should be a graphite/Garlock gasket and plastic insulator, but you can just run the gasket also. But yes, your bolts could be too long.

Old 12-03-2021, 10:20 AM   #4

Yes the intake manifold gasket between the manifold and the head.
I have short bolts installed.
Wheel bearing grease on the gasket? Ok I'll research that and give it a try.

Old 12-03-2021, 10:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkon45 View Post
A gasket on your intake manifold should NEVER blow out. If that's the case, you're having a timing issue, and backfiring. Also, IIRC, it should be a graphite/Garlock gasket and plastic insulator, but you can just run the gasket also. But yes, your bolts could be too long.
It blows every ride right after a long run. Definitely backfiring going on... rich condition? In the pilot or the main?

It's not paper, rather it is the gasket material. I am using Amazon gaskets, felpro type material, but next one is going to be a actual felpro one I make. The plastic piece goes between the carb and manifold, I don't use a spacer at the head. If that's what you mean.
Short bolts on there.

I've recently tightened up the valves, the bike runs tippy top, little hesitating around 3/4 and full. Still playing with the main jet.

Old 12-03-2021, 02:09 PM   #6

Backfire can be caused by lean conditions, but also rich conditions?

Last edited by 4T_Goblin; 12-03-2021 at 03:33 PM.