Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2020, 11:34 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCoY View Post
UPDATE: My Hawk 250 (Carb version) Will be street legal in Colorado! (Technically)

Got the call today from the South Dakota dept of revenue! They took my tax payment of $100 and advised that my new South Dakota Motorcycle plates will be in the mail tomorrow morning, with the new title coming in 4-6 weeks! Colorado wanted me to jump through a bunch of impossible hoops just for the right to pay them, so I went to a state who was happy to take my money! Not only that, but the customer service person I spoke very pleasant and helpful, the total opposite of what I've experienced in Denver.

I think it's safe to say these bikes can for SURE be registered in SD, with this being a "workaround" for states like Colorado.

If you would like to know what county I went to in SD, please shoot me a PM for the contact info, it's a small town and I don't want them to get overloaded.
Will CO authorities raise red flags if you are riding around with a CO license on a SD plated bike? I do know that California will hassle people which is why most '49 state' bikes are never imported to that state with out-of-state plates with an owner attempting that loophole. I do know that Vermont will issue plates fairly liberally as someone attested to above, and I believe there is one more US state that I cannot remember off the top of my head who plate anything.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 10-21-2020, 07:30 AM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Will CO authorities raise red flags if you are riding around with a CO license on a SD plated bike? I do know that California will hassle people which is why most '49 state' bikes are never imported to that state with out-of-state plates with an owner attempting that loophole. I do know that Vermont will issue plates fairly liberally as someone attested to above, and I believe there is one more US state that I cannot remember off the top of my head who plate anything.
There's a national-level law that you can have a vehicle registered in one state, and have your license and/or insurance from another. It's basically what allows snowbirds to drive their RV's all over everywhere on their Arizona licenses. The only catch is that you can't have everything from a different state; i.e. you can't have Arizona registration with a North Dakota License and insurance from Texas. Two of the three must be from the same state. I'm a personal testament to this. I have Arizona insurance and registration, but still have my GA license since it makes sense with my investment properties back there. Purely a business benefit, but there you have it.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 10-21-2020, 11:16 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
There's a national-level law that you can have a vehicle registered in one state, and have your license and/or insurance from another. It's basically what allows snowbirds to drive their RV's all over everywhere on their Arizona licenses. The only catch is that you can't have everything from a different state; i.e. you can't have Arizona registration with a North Dakota License and insurance from Texas. Two of the three must be from the same state. I'm a personal testament to this. I have Arizona insurance and registration, but still have my GA license since it makes sense with my investment properties back there. Purely a business benefit, but there you have it.
California does not allow it. Somehow they can get away with enforcing the law, which is why you won't see Chinese bikes registered in other states riding around freely by California residents. The only two loopholes I understand are 1) distributors/dealers can street register bikes they distribute there 2) one CAN move to California and street plate an existing bike such as one of the many non-CARB Chinese dual-sports. There was a guy here from the San Francisco who mail-ordered a Lifan KPMini 150 around the time some of them WERE California legal and registered, but his was not a CARB certified model. He was actually going to drive down to Yuma where I was going to help him get an AZ title and registration ('help' as in using my address). As easy as it is to get an AZ title and registration, one does have to do it in person here, so getting to Yuma was necessary. He was going to take the risk of riding around on an AZ registered bike. I guess he could have tried to register it by mail via Vermont or South Dakota, or the other state I forgot above, Montana. I never did hear back from him. I wonder how much he would sell me his Mini...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 10-21-2020, 01:53 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
This is a great question and I suppose there is really only one way to find out. I'll have to let y'all know my experience once I start riding the bike. I am hoping there isn't too much of an issue, especially since I genuinely wanted to give my money to CO. My long term plan is to try to transfer the plates to CO plates once the SD tags expire... Guess we'll see!

Update: Had a cop follow me for a few miles on a fairly busy residential road yesterday, he did not pull me over for my SD plates so that's a plus!

Last edited by DeCoY; 11-09-2020 at 02:47 PM.

Old 11-16-2020, 02:18 PM   #125

What happened to Connecticut?

[QUOTE=JerryHawk250;280878]I have no problem with it. I do need to put them in alphabetical order. I was adding them as I go.[/Q

Old 11-16-2020, 07:46 PM   #126

Question Help with the Venom X22R Bike...

Hi Jerry,

This list is great news for those people who are considering (or already have bought) a Hawk 250. But my problem is that I am considering buying a Venom X22R here in PA and I have heard (though I'm not sure this is true or not) that the Venom X22R is NOT STREET LEGAL here in PA.

Until I find out one way or another, I'm holding off on buying one of these bikes. I CANNOT AFFORD to waste my money purchasing a bike that I cannot legally drive here in PA.

Therefore, could you please make up a NEW list that covers BOTH the Hawk 250 AND the Venom X22R bike so that hopefully I can find out what the heck is going on here in PA and that hopefully I can get the bike I want and start riding...

Highly frustrated and hopeful...

Joe...

Old 11-17-2020, 07:59 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Schutts View Post
Hi Jerry,

This list is great news for those people who are considering (or already have bought) a Hawk 250. But my problem is that I am considering buying a Venom X22R here in PA and I have heard (though I'm not sure this is true or not) that the Venom X22R is NOT STREET LEGAL here in PA.

Until I find out one way or another, I'm holding off on buying one of these bikes. I CANNOT AFFORD to waste my money purchasing a bike that I cannot legally drive here in PA.

Therefore, could you please make up a NEW list that covers BOTH the Hawk 250 AND the Venom X22R bike so that hopefully I can find out what the heck is going on here in PA and that hopefully I can get the bike I want and start riding...

Highly frustrated and hopeful...

Joe...

This list may or may not still be good as some states have changed there regulations. You can check with your DMV before buying. The Make is DongFang, model is DF250RTS and the first three letters of the Vin are LXD. Your best luck at getting one of these bike registered is to go to a Notary/Tag shop. They will take the time to help you get it registered as that's how they make money. I've registered all three of my bikes at a Notary/tag shop a block away from my office. All three took between 15-20 minutes to get registered. Non of these bikes were in the system as they were new bikes. The lady took the time to enter it into the system so now anyone else that goes to get their bike registered will have no problems.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 02-17-2022, 08:09 PM   #128

Iowa Magician Registration

Iowa Magician Registration has anyone registered a 250 in Iowa? Issues?

Old 02-18-2022, 12:15 PM   #129

Going through the same thing for the TBR7.. someone should set up a similar sheet for the hawk: https://tbr7.com/registrations/

Old 03-25-2022, 09:40 PM   #130

Happy to say that you can now add Mississippi to states that will register ALL versions of the Hawk. I have the 2021 carburetor "Dirtbike" version from Redfox power sports.
MSO and Bill of sale was purchased separately, will not come with this version and bill of sale was not notarized.

The teller couldn't find the motorcycle in the computer, manually added the description of it and gave me a tag.

Old 12-09-2022, 10:17 PM   #131

2022 bashan bsr250 (raven 250) successfully registered in colorado

Old 12-21-2022, 08:42 PM   #132

Reject list to complement the success list

Success is great. But the truth is that just because you were successful in a particular State, it doesn't mean the ANYONE will be successful in that State.

Truth is that there are various methods of registration in even the same State, AND some offices will be HOSTILE to Chinese bikes, and others will not.

Heck, even SHIPPERS can be hostile to a crated Chinese bike!!

So a REJECTED list needs to be added.
Members can describe the rejection, rational, what they had or didn't ready for the process. This can answer at least some questions, and warn people where NOT to go!!

Old 12-22-2022, 05:59 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Success is great. But the truth is that just because you were successful in a particular State, it doesn't mean the ANYONE will be successful in that State.

Truth is that there are various methods of registration in even the same State, AND some offices will be HOSTILE to Chinese bikes, and others will not.

Heck, even SHIPPERS can be hostile to a crated Chinese bike!!

So a REJECTED list needs to be added.
Members can describe the rejection, rational, what they had or didn't ready for the process. This can answer at least some questions, and warn people where NOT to go!!
You are more than welcome to start that list.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 05-03-2023, 06:13 PM   #134

well ... not a hawk.. But a successful TBR7 registration in Mass.

Old 05-20-2023, 01:13 PM   #135

Might be worth updating the OP for Ohio... a handful of the 88 counties require an emissions test. I just successfully registered a new Hawk in an eCheck county without issues. I wasn't required to get an echeck... probably because of the 5 year exception for new vehicles. Just wanted to post as an FYI for others since I didn't see any other information on a HAWK in an Ohio Echeck County.