Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Reviews
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-06-2011, 01:45 PM   #1

Italika DM150

Italika DM150(super motard-ish bike)

I bought this bike as a daily driver/hobby/fun,My city is a 50km long strip of traffic and stop lights and TONS of mountain roads both dirt and paved .so I knew a bike was the way to go. I have had some kawi 2 strokes from the 80's and a Suzuki RMX250 so i know what im missing from the jap bikes.But the major frame welds look better then the old kawis did!.I have 70km on it so far just playing around on trails and city streets

It has a Loncin? LC 162FMJ(150 pushrod) engine, atleast that is what the engine # says. It ran LEAN when i got it could barely idle without farting out the carb. these bikes are assembled and tuned in Toluca mexico and that is way up in the mountains, and i am at sea level so that may be part of the cause. I really hate to see a lean engine but I see 1000's of these bikes running around here backfiring and poping(aka too lean) for years. so it isnt bad enough to do damage i guess. but it does pull harder and run cooler if you get it right. And the exuast header was not bolted on right (italikas work) and it does not line up with the tailpipe quite right causing a small leak in the asbestos gasket. I will fix this soon.(fixed)

Engine pulls nice, not built to rev continuously but it packs about all the punch a 150 thumper can have.. it pulls hard right off idle and builds its torque up until about 4500 and holds past 6500 then kinda peeters out until the alleged rev limiter at 8000(haven't found it yet). The gear spacing is nice 1st is a little extra low and 5th is a bit high too, perfect for what i want.The clutch does NOT like to slip, maybe just because it is new IDK(after 120km the clutch has freed up and slips proper now).Transmission was a bit notchy at first but now its like butter,Oh yea,its reverse shift too.carefull!.But the bike comes with a heavy back tire, a 130/90/16 with steel wheels/hubs and it zaps some of the power feel.

I believe the front forks are the same as some other china bikes I can upload close up pics if anyone is interested.Anyway i like the front forks! they are actually closer to right then any of my other bikes were (im about 135lbs) i mean they arent on the same level as the RMX. but they just feel right. The rear needs a preload adjustment and the shock is waaay stiff. I guess thats because here in mexico, a bike is a 5 passenger vehicle.

Oh yea, I had 3 LOOSE BOLTS 2 were in the shock linkage and one was the frame under the motor. all the bolts were almost falling out 2 more in the rear suspension were cross threaded and i have several over/under torqued bolts.I marked everything with perm marker so i can see if they start to back out.

Italika also put motard wheels/hubs and tires on it, i kinda like the way it feels, but beware if you have never drove a motard bike (like me) it handles way different. But they really help when driving on dirty asphalt. alloy wheels would have been nice since this bike is already pushing 280lbs.
It really drives nice though once you get used to the fat tires,And having a smaller front tire makes it more stable on asphalt and even dirt.You can do some kickass slides on dirt real easy and without the jumpy,unstable feel of dirtbike wheels. and it seems to "fall slower" then mx bikes. there is actually time to put your foot out and save it!

Everything else is great, replacement parts are just a phone call and 3 days wait, then pick up the parts 40 miles from here.I can order almost any part for the bike at very low prices. But they dont sell fork rebuild kits only the whole fork for $140 per side

the plastic build quality is good. Headlight is adjustable,good,strong rear fender,turn signals and plate holder. excellent relation between the pegs,seat and handlebars and ride hight (im 5'10") Passengers say it rides nicer them most, with plenty of room on the seat for a 3rd

Overall, I really like this bike.I dont have the $$$ to buy,nor maintain a big DOHC or 2 stroke but , i still outrun 70% of people on the road. and the suspension, brakes and tires are a BIG safety feature on the road and works good on light trails too

out of 5 i give it a 4 overall
4 on the build quality
4 for the motor
5 on fun facor
5 on utility
everything else i dont know yet i will update once i get it tagged and get some real miles on it.I see this being the best $1500 ever.

I did some more carb adjustments and have it running real smooth now pulls harder through the revs and runs cool now.I checked with infared thermometer and got 250f at the base of the plug.Oil was a cool 160f.