Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2021, 02:06 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
Thanks for the responses!

Interesting; I'll look for more reports on that. My immediate concern was trying to find one in stock somewhere so I could change it before starting the 1335-mile trip home; so far I haven't found the metal one anywhere although (see below) I have resolved the issue for now.

I definitely plan on changing the oil when picking it up; my biggest concern was in finding an oil filter. Fortunately CSC agreed to ship one to an unaffiliated dealer that will be on my route home, so I can change it properly in the parking lot! Kudos to Rio Grande Motosports for agreeing to receive the package and hold it for me.

As for "riding the bike first", I totally understand, and the trip home alone is going to be 1,335 miles, so yes I'll know the bike pretty well by then. I agree about changing the chain with the sprockets, most definitely.

Understood. For reference, I have a Harley with an 1868cc engine that has diesel truck-style torque over the entire powerband, and a Benelli TNT135 that has pretty much zero torque anywhere. I am expecting the RX3 to be much more like the Benelli. What I have found on the Benelli is that the stock bike can't come close to pulling redline in top gear. Because of that, it pretty much makes sense to go to a 1-tooth smaller sprocket on the small engine, because you won't be giving up any actual top-end speed (although the engine will run higher RPM at any speed). If the RX3 is the same way, and knowing that I'll want low-end torque for hill climbing, Spud's 13/46 seemed to make sense. But yes, I'll give it a good long run-in before actually changing the sprockets.

Mainly I'm going to be ordering oil filters in bulk from CSC, and if I put the sprockets on there it gets me close to the $100 for free shipping, so I'm basically asking "why not"?

As for the speedo, I used a GPS to calculate the speed overrun on my Benelli, and it was about 12% in error, and I read here where Spud found the RX3 to be about 13% in error or so. But IINM, Spud's front wheel was 18". Maybe the speedo is much more accurate with the 19" as you say, and this is effectively a non-issue! I *think* the 2018 has the 19" wheel stock... not sure...

Glad to hear the report on overheating. I lived in coastal NC and the summers were oppressively hot, and I'm in Texas now which is even hotter, but it's more of a humidity heat than it is truly high temperatures (like 117+ in Vegas/Arizona, vs. about 102 here) so maybe it's not anything to worry about.

Take the Speedo DRD off your Benelli TNT135 and move it to the RX3. The Benelli's speedometer can be reprogrammed to show the correct speed. Hold the two buttons on the dash and then turn the bike on, continuing to hold until you reach programming mode. It'll show the current frequency setting. This is the hall sensor's frequency at a certain set speed. Adjust it up or down until the speed shows correctly compared to your GPS. (If your speed is off by 10%, adjust the Frequency by 10%, or just trial-and-error it). This also works for the Benelli Leoncino and SSR Buccaneer.

Charles.

Old 05-10-2021, 03:40 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanro View Post
Steering stem bearings are 32005, a fairly common type. Be aware that there's also 32005/26 (with 26mm I.D.) but the correct ones are the plain 32005 (25mm inner diameter).
For both upper and lower bearings?

Charles.