Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2018, 12:49 PM   #1

Ignition problem??

Hey Guys , i have a problem with this , its gonna be some problem with the ignition? How do i fix it ?

Thanks a million.
Best Regards
Gabor Belan

Last edited by gaborbelan; 05-26-2018 at 02:03 PM.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaborbelan View Post
Hey Guys , i have a problem with this , its gonna be some problem with the ignition? How do i fix it ?
Your problem is not the ignition system per se, but the ignition switch. Yours appears to be worn, causing intermittent contact. You could try to clean the electrical contacts in the switch, if you can get access to them, with some contact cleaner. However, the whole ignition switch assembly itself is available from CSC, for $29.95 US here:

http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/Igniti...-p/z30-103.htm

If it were me, I would just replace it.

Note, a new switch assembly will probably need to be re-keyed to match your existing keys by a locksmith. Alternatively, you could get the RX3 whole lock package, part #1 on the diagram, for $69.95 US. This includes new gas cap and rear seat locks keyed to match the new ignition switch.

I'm not sure what shipping would be to the UK I'm guessing, since your RX3 is Honley branded, from the US. It might be cheaper to source the part locally, if your domestic importer stocks the parts for the bikes. I know that many RX3 importers do not carry parts for the bikes, so CSC, Alibaba or Tao Bao ( if you read Chinese ) may be your best bets.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:15 PM   #3

I agree with Working.... Replace it and be done...... No sense in getting stranded and it will happen.

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 05-27-2018, 03:55 AM   #4

Thank you guys, has anybody tutorial for this? How to clean in up or replace the ignition?

Last edited by gaborbelan; 05-27-2018 at 09:06 AM.

Old 05-27-2018, 12:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaborbelan View Post
Thank you guys, has anybody tutorial for this?
None that I am aware of. A quick "RX3 Ignition" search on YouTube only pulls up your video.

However, changing the switch does not look that hard. Glancing at my RX3, you have to:

1. Remove the two A2 stainless steel 5mm allen head bolts that retain the plastic cover that surrounds the ignition switch key cylinder.

2. Then turn the handle bars alternately to either side to access the two 8mm bolts on the underside that hold the switch in place.

3. There are two small phillips head screws that hold the wiring harness in place on the switch that then need to be removed. Since there is no pigtail on the replacement switch pictured in the diagram, I am guessing that the connector is inside the switch housing, since I did not see a connector on the wiring harness that runs to the bike. Hopefully there is a screw or tabs that you can release to gain access to the inside of the switch. I don't have a replacement ignition switch handy, so I can't say for sure what you will find here. There is also the possibility that there is a connector on the bike's wiring harness, but it is further down, under the fuel tank. In which case, you may need to lift up or remove the tank altogether in order to gain access to it.

Old 05-27-2018, 04:03 PM   #6

Thank you very much!

Old 06-03-2018, 09:40 AM   #7

I had this problem 1 1/2 years ago. I had to wiggle the key to get electrical power. Mine was still under warranty then, so I emailed CSC about it and they shipped me a new one along with a new key. I requested instructions to swap it out and they provided. Took less than an hour to swap it out.

When I first noticed it, I was on the start of a 2 week trip. It made me nervous, and it did get a little worse, with the need to wiggle a lot more to get power when I start it up, but it held up for the 2 weeks. Maybe once or twice it died on me while on some bumpy fire roads. But no reason to risk it if you don't have to, replace asap!

Old 06-03-2018, 01:51 PM   #8

To avoid a repeat of this problem take your RX3 key off that mess it is hooked to. Many transport system cylinder locks are not strong enough to have all that other gunk bouncing around.

Old 06-04-2018, 04:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwert View Post
To avoid a repeat of this problem take your RX3 key off that mess it is hooked to. Many transport system cylinder locks are not strong enough to have all that other gunk bouncing around.
X2 agree, nothing wears out a good switch and key faster then hanging a bunch of other keys ,openers, etc. on the key. The little bit of weight makes key a mechanical pry bar into your switch and every time you hit a bump, it is wearing the tumblers and key. Rj

Old 10-25-2018, 02:48 AM   #10

My bike/RX3 and ZS200 boht do not have an ignition barrel or key to turn on the bikes.
Alarm used and a back up system

Old 10-27-2018, 07:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
My bike/RX3 and ZS200 boht do not have an ignition barrel or key to turn on the bikes.
Alarm used and a back up system
We find a lot of bikes without keys with some kind of system. Generally stolen when we run numbers. Can't seem to trust just anybody any more. Check your bikes carefully to cover your ass. We do.

My son traded a paint job on a car for a golf cart, no key. When he ran the numbers, stolen. He traded custom golf cart tires for a broken jet ski, no key. When he ran the numbers, stolen. Fortunately, both vehicles were in such sad shape he got them for the price of towing them away. Of course, once he does his thing, they are show winners, registered, licensed, and stated value insured. Hey, even my 2-year old grandson's stroller has chrome billet mags, pneumatic tires, real metalflake paint, and bear fur seat cover and rag top. Fits in at the car shows. Runs in the family.

Old 05-16-2021, 04:14 PM   #12

Head Scratching

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC View Post
I had this problem 1 1/2 years ago. I had to wiggle the key to get electrical power. Mine was still under warranty then, so I emailed CSC about it and they shipped me a new one along with a new key. I requested instructions to swap it out and they provided. Took less than an hour to swap it out.

When I first noticed it, I was on the start of a 2 week trip. It made me nervous, and it did get a little worse, with the need to wiggle a lot more to get power when I start it up, but it held up for the 2 weeks. Maybe once or twice it died on me while on some bumpy fire roads. But no reason to risk it if you don't have to, replace asap!
Hey folks, sorry to revive a dead thread but I am having a similar problem and am looking for advice. Let me know if I should just start a new thread instead.

I discovered the same key-wiggling solution when my RX3’s electrical became inconsistent in late 2019. Winter ‘20-‘21 it finally gave out entirely. I replaced the battery because it was needed, and I have taken apart the ignition lock and am able to hotwire the electricals with some of the guts from the lock and get the lights and dashboard to stay on; but when I reassemble the whole lock, I can’t get the dash and lights to come on.

Additionally, when hotwired, the engine killswitch has no effect; when On, the bike doesn’t respond to the ignition switch and it won’t light the engine icon lamp in the dashboard. Is that just a security feature that somehow knows that the bike is hot wired and the key/lock are not attached to the bike, or is it a failure somewhere in the system?

I’ve examined the single fuse up near the ignition lock housing and the 6 fuses that live next to the battery and they all look clean, unbroken and unburnt.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read this and I sincerely appreciate any advice you may have! <3
-Sam

P.S. I emailed CSC about purchasing a new lock and unfortunately they no longer offer the $30 lock, they’ve bundled it with the gas cap and seat cushion lock for $70 together and were unwilling to cut me a deal. What a shame :(