Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2024, 02:51 PM   #1

Orion RXB250L Rear Shock Dimensions

I just noticed my rear monoshock is leaking oil. Dang it.

Before I rip all the plasticwork off this thing and finagle the shock out, does anyone know the dimensions of the rear shock on the 2021+ RXB250? I figure I'll ask first, then if I get lucky I can order one and have it ready and waiting for when I take it apart.

I further surmise that trying to find seals and parts to rebuild this Chinese OEM component is a fool's errand. Yes?

Old 05-12-2024, 03:36 PM   #2

Seeing no one stepped up to help you, which is typical when dealing with replacement parts for an Orion, my suggestion is that you remove the factory shock and measure the dimensions (overall length) from eye to eye or rather center of the top bolt hole to the center of the bottom bolt hole. Also make note of the diameter of the bolt that holds the shock on, i.e. 10mm, 11mm, 12mm, 14mm etc. and use those measurements to order a new shock off of Amazon. You can also buy shocks with different rate springs suck as 250, 600, 980, 1000, or 1200 lbs. spring rate as well so make sure you check and re-check all your dimensions before you order.

You can also just call Orion and reorder the factory shock.

I went through this process when ordering a stiffer spring rate rear shock for my RXB 125. Ask a question, get ZERO answers, so figured it out myself. Get used to doing that quite a bit with an Orion. It's either no one knows or they're holding onto the info as if it were the Nuclear Launch Codes. Either way, their great bikes and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Old 05-12-2024, 04:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD317 View Post
Ask a question, get ZERO answers, so figured it out myself. Get used to doing that quite a bit with an Orion. It's either no one knows or they're holding onto the info as if it were the Nuclear Launch Codes.

In my experience on this forum, it's the former (nobody knows). Haven't run into anyone on here that won't contribute information to help out a fellow rider. I can't say the same for some of the Fartbook groups I've been in over the years.

There's just so many different "almost the same but slightly different" offerings out there.
1976 Yamaha DT175
1974 Honda MT125

Old 05-12-2024, 07:44 PM   #4

Even Orion won't help you when you call their customer service line. The only response I've received is "we don't offer that part for that model."

The bike is sold as an Orion. It carries a manufactures VIN and data tag from X-Motos. When I asked before making the purchase who ACTUALLY built the bike behind the Great Wall, I NEVER received an answer so asking for parts help is an exercise in futility. I feel the original poster's pain. I've been there too.

With regards to "almost fits" parts, that's just the reality of it. My original rear shock assembly measured out at 310mm. The replacement is 311mm. It's an almost fit but a necessary upgrade from a 250lb rear spring that wouldn't hold up to my 13 year old Grandson let alone his MUCH heavier Grandfather (me). Every part on the bike is a "almost fit" part when it comes to replacements or upgrades. That's the "fun" part of it for me actually. Manufacturing my own "hot rod" parts is as much fun as riding itself.

Orion bikes are great bikes if you can figure out how to upgrade parts on your own. Those that know for the most part keep that knowledge to themselves. That's my experience on and off FB.

Old Yesterday, 07:05 PM   #5

The Orion RXB is manufactured by Nicot Motorcycle. It even said so on my MCO.

Anyway, Orion do list a replacement rear shock for this bike on their web site but they want $400 for it. So, uh, how about no. Not that I am averse to paying that much or more for a quality shock, but as we know what comes with this thing is purest Chineseium.

Anyhow, I dood it.

Getting it out required dropping the swingarm.

The specs I measured are as follows:

Eye-to-Eye Length: 465mm (this is not a size that seems to exist, but 460 and 470 do)
Travel: Around 70mm before hitting the bump stop
Mounting Bolt Diameter: 10mm
Shackle Width: 24mm (both top and bottom)
Spring Cross Sectional Diameter: 11.66mm
Spring Coil Outer Diameter: 72.25mm
Barrel Diameter: 45mm

I have absolutely no idea what the spring rate is.

Anyway, I see several cheap examples online that look like they ought to fit in terms of length and bolt/clevis pattern, but they all seem to be smaller in diameter on the spring. I don't know if this bodes well or not.

When I had the shock out I noticed oil all over the bottom of the airbox, and the air box "drain," which is really just about 3" of vinyl tube with a closed end bunged on a barb on the bottom of the box, was completely full of oil. I emptied and cleaned this, and I notice it is in a position to drip right on the lower half of the shock. I wonder if what I'm seeing is air filter oil, not shock oil. It's definitely not motor oil (too clean, and no visible leaks anywhere on the engine).

I cleaned up the factory shock and I'll stand it upright overnight to see if it drips. Unfortunately, I don't have a vise long enough to compress it. The only way I could articulate it is to reinstall it, and I figure I'll do that in the morning if I don't see any signs of leakage while it's static.

Old Yesterday, 07:27 PM   #6

Your rear shock:

Eye-to-Eye Length: 465mm (this is not a size that seems to exist, but 460 and 470 do)
Travel: Around 70mm before hitting the bump stop
Mounting Bolt Diameter: 10mm
Shackle Width: 24mm (both top and bottom)
Spring Cross Sectional Diameter: 11.66mm
Spring Coil Outer Diameter: 72.25mm
Barrel Diameter: 45mm

Templar X
https://www.chinariders.net/showpost...4&postcount=45

You can buy this one for ~$160, shipped free (KKE is the manufacturer)

Eye-to-Eye Length: ~460mm
Upper bushing width: 22mm wide (new one comes with the shock
Upper and lower mounting bolts: M10-1.25 with locking nuts
Spring rating: 350 lbs/inch
Spring Coil Outer Diameter: 83mm
lower bushing width: 20mm

The spring coil diameter might be a clearance issue, but this is a fully adjustable shock (compression dampening, rebound dampening, preload). Check your clearance. It might fit. The top mount might need washers (2mm total). The lower mount? Well, it is 20mm arm to arm. That's a 4mm narrow compared to 24mm (shackle width). But might be workable depending on what you have on the linkage.

Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM   #7

I'll probably have to pack out the mount bushings with some washers but that might work. You got a link to that thing? Everything I can find for KKE shocks seems to point to parts for the Surron Light Bee.

Old Yesterday, 08:02 PM   #8

Taking it apart and measuring is how I got a lot of information to do upgrades to my Hawk. The fork valves I did? Took a fork off, and apart, just to measure. Nobody knew the specs of anything related to the forks until I did that.

Nice work, and good job on posting it. It's data like that which needs to be collected and centralized into the resource threads.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old Yesterday, 08:08 PM   #9

This is what I ordered. Got a brand new one.

1 x rear shock (376-905001) = $159.90

I don't see the part on the website now. But contact them. KKE would sell it for the same, but with int'l shipping

Powersportsmax.com

Try their support email
service@maxpro-llc.com

Old Yesterday, 09:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post

Powersportsmax.com

Try their support email
service@maxpro-llc.com
Be aware that as of Feb/Mar this year, if you didn't have an account setup on their website then emails sent to that address were automatically being rejected.
My buddy had to create an account before he could reach out to them regarding Templar X availability.
1976 Yamaha DT175
1974 Honda MT125

Old Today, 06:42 PM   #11

FWIW, I also found this on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/X-PRO-rear-sh.../dp/B0CYGZ6PR9

One potential bugbear I notice is that the position of the remote reservoir is different. On the X-Pro variant it is directly parallel to the top mounting bolt, but on the Orion it is offset by about 45 degrees. I don't know if this will cause a clearance issue.

The Templar X this fits appears to have its airbox tube routed opposite the Orion, i.e. it is on the left side of the shock rather than the right. I can always mount this backwards to no ill effect, I think, but I'm not certain if it will clear the frame. I guess if push comes to shove, Amazon will take anything back.

Edit: Oh, yeah. And the factory shock is totally blown. It has no damping whatsoever anymore and pushing the rod in causes oil to pour out of it. The rod is clean and undamaged, so I can only presume the seals disintegrated. I could theoretically take it apart but I imagine the chances of finding the correct seals for this are zero.

Last edited by zero_dgz; Today at 08:48 PM.

Old Today, 08:58 PM   #12

Yup. Same one

Old Today, 09:26 PM   #13

My further research (i.e. stumbling around on the internet) seems to indicate that the shock layout on these is superficially identical to the ones on the GPX bikes, in which case they are clones of the 2016+ KTM "WP" shocks.

Those are readily available, but certainly not any cheaper. There's a plan C, perhaps, if it all goes sideways.

The Templar X shock listed above is alleged to be in stock, so I will have it in a little while and I'll see if I can make it fit.