Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2017, 12:53 PM   #16

Arrgh !! Really really beginning to despise this bike now ! Go out in the rain, and now, my headlight isn't working again, changed the bulb, so it's not that. The electrics on this bike are so poor

Old 12-19-2017, 02:49 PM   #17

That's odd. Over the course of the more than 36 thousand kilometers I have in mine, I've ridden it many times under serious downpour, crossed some flooded roads, overflowing rivers... weather is very humid around here and it rains a lot, never had an issue with electrics.

Just a sample:

Hope you can sort it out again. Regards,

Juanro

Old 12-20-2017, 01:55 AM   #18

Juanro , that water crossing was spectacular. Whats the story behind it? rj

Old 12-20-2017, 02:13 AM   #19

I'll second that!!

While I do not have as many km's on my bike as Juanro, I haven't had any electrical trouble at all with my bike.

I do have a lot of experience with automotive and motorcycle wiring and the wiring and connectors are as good or better than any other brand.

Many of the connectors are exactly the same as other japanese bikes.

It is certainly possible for a wire to get pinched somewhere if it is misrouted.
Motorcycles are much more exposed to dirt, moisture and vibration then cars and in general have excellent weather resistant connectors.

If you need help trouble shooting the headlights or understanding the wiring diagrahm, please let us know.

Don't get discouraged, it's likely something very simple.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:58 AM   #20

It's back working, after disconnecting, and drying out the connections, with a hair dryer, finally got the headlight working again. Doesn't stop it being the most frustrating bike ever !!

Old 12-20-2017, 01:09 PM   #21

Glad you got it fixed!!

Drying out the connector was a good idea, as moisture can lead to corrosson.

However it is unlikely that drying out the connector "fixed" the concern.

Water is will not stop the flow of electricity. It is an excellent conductor.

Simply disconnecting and reconnecting the connector was sufficient enough to regain your lost electrical contact.
How did the pins in the connector look?
Is there any green corrosion?
Any loose or damaged pins?
Was the connector fully seated?

You may want to inspect a little closer, and apply a small amount
of dielectric grease inside the connector on the metal pins and then make sure the connector full seats and "clicks"

Considering where you're posting from, I do find it odd that you're currently disenchanted with your bikes electronics though.

There are some beautiful bikes (and cars) built in the U.K. but...
electronics have never been there strong side!!

Old 12-20-2017, 02:15 PM   #22

That's as may be the case, however, just reseating didn't fix it, I know I tried. Yes, my Triumph America's electrics were niggly at times, but nowhere near as badvthey have been on the RX-3. I have had to fix the loom on the RX-3 twice so far, I've had to reset the ecu, after another ride out in the rain, and all this in under 5000 miles, I've now regressed all the connectors, so hopefully I'll get ride more than 3 times in the rain before another electrical fault !!

Old 12-21-2017, 08:11 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
Juanro , that water crossing was spectacular. Whats the story behind it? rj
Thanks, yeah there's a story behind it of course.
I live in a rural town and every time I can I get out and ride the backroads, most of them uncharted. I know many of them very well now, and this particular road (and the bridge afterwards) is one I know. Last time I were there, the river was Ok (this is "Rio Salado", biggest inland river in the Buenos Aires province, apart from the Rio de la Plata wich is more like a freshwater sea, at least from one can see from the shore). Anyway, this and the past year were very rainy and there are many floodings all around the territory, because this área ("la pampa húmeda") is very flat... so I intended to cross the river over that bridge. Much to my surprise as I got there, the road was covered with wáter... but for the signs I was seeing, no very deep. So I went on foot, took a look, and decided it was feasible, so ride on...
The bads news were that as I got on top of the bridge and took a look to the other side, were able to see that the wáter were over the road all the way to the horizon... kilometers long. So I had to turn back with my tail between my legs (my mood was down so I didn't film that part)

Juanro

Old 12-21-2017, 06:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanro View Post
So I had to turn back with my tail between my legs (my mood was down so I didn't film that part)
Juanro
So I wisely turned around to live to ride another day.

Fixed it for you.