Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2016, 12:55 PM   #61

Number sold is a mystery to you maybe.400 on the first 2 batches
I believe they are into there 3rd batch.Easy to find out just call CSC.

As far as your claim of "several motors eaten" 2 forums say you're exaggerating I would say.

My favorite line of yours is that the RX3 is "just good to go to the store on"��

Don't put down the brand just because you got a potential lemon.

No company is void of some bad copies but judging on the whole I think
The RX3 has a good start.

Old 06-19-2016, 01:54 PM   #62

I know of 5 engines plus mine so there is no exaggeration. Go on adv right now and look at the 2nd to last post. Shifting 5-6th issue. That's the third this week I know about. I have a blog and am contacted by people all over. One guy owned one in China that went back so many times for repair he is afraid to sell it to anyone else. I get you feel the need to disprove my opinion and my experience but I see all sorts of failures and people actually contact me about them. Hope your bike runs well forever. And as far as putting down the brand? Are you serious? I had to change an engine on a 200 mile machine. If anyone can legitimately "put down the brand" it's me. I received a damaged machine that I needed to change 14 seperate parts on, then 200 miles in I need to change the engine. Couple that with a noticeable shifting and neutral issue. I want to like the machine, it's tough. Even Gerry at CSC said he is amazed at how tolerant I've been so far.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:15 PM   #63

I wouldn't be critical of cs addict he's got a valid point. I've also had mine pop out of sixth rev up and slam into 5th gear more than once. One other riders saying the same thing on advrider right now. I've never had that happen on any other bike I've owned.

They're likely is some kind of Issue with the upper gears on some percentage of bikes.

These bikes aren't without fault, I just found a cracked weld on my frame the other day, fortunately it's for holding an engine component.

Instead of defending the bike we'd be better served finding out why it's popping out of gear on some bikes.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:37 AM   #64

I hate that CSaddict is still having shifting issues on his second engine. I'd feel the same way in his shoes. I'm just hoping there's something CSC can do or advise to improve it.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 06-20-2016, 08:08 AM   #65

5 out of 500 bikes = 1%
Probably would have to call that an acceptable failure rate.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:27 AM   #66

a Detours ditto

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 06-20-2016, 09:46 AM   #67

Motorcycle transmissions are a well proven design. It's really odd to have one jump out of gear, particularly with a brand new bike. Is there any remote chance that the rider's foot is hitting the shift lever? I have had to adjust my shift lever by one spline so my foot does not rest on the lever. It would not take much pressure to kick the lever down and either into a lower gear or a false neutral.

As for CS's bike, it's clear to me that he has lost confidence in the bike. It's time for him to get something else. The bike might be a lemon, be possessed, or there could be something else going on...does not matter, just move on. Life is too short!

Old 06-20-2016, 09:55 AM   #68

I'm not fully up to speed on this problem but I don't remember hearing of this issue before this latest batch of RX3 bikes from CSC.

I was wondering if perhaps a few of these newer bikes just have a bad batch of engines.

I get the impression that Zongshen are constantly revising components in this engine. An example of this is with my RX3 the countershaft sprocket is held on with a bolt rather than a nut. Yet my RX3, supposedly has the exact same engine as yours even though Its an 2014 model (UK).

Fortunately for me, my gearbox is fine
Name:  Sprocket.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  80.4 KB

Old 06-20-2016, 10:31 AM   #69

I've had zero problems with my RX3's tranny and it's a very early 2015 model. There is a slight "double snick" going into 6th sometimes but it's never jumped out and I've felt this very same stop in the top gears of other tranny's I've shifted. Thought nothing of it.

You want bad shifting? Own an old Hodaka, Bultaco or many of the early Euro bikes. Heck, even many of my early Japanese bikes would miss a shift, especially under race conditions.

I agree it's a bummer what's going on with CSAddict. He should sell the bike and move on to something else. Once you lose confidence in a product (like me and Samsung products), then a person gets very sensitive to even the slightest possible oddity. I don't care how much people love them or how good of reviews are, I'll never own another Samsung product. 5 purchases, 5 early deaths and nothing but problems. That doesn't mean all Samsung products are bad, just the ones I bought.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 06-20-2016, 10:43 AM   #70

I've been on a bike for 32 years. Missing shifts would be few and far between. I own 5 other bikes, oddly enough they all shift fine. As far selling it? At this point is just a blog project. It is technically still shifting so I'll ride it until it doesn't. For what I will get out of selling it, which will be next to nothing, it's worth more as a project.

Old 06-20-2016, 10:51 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSaddict View Post
I've been on a bike for 32 years. Missing shifts would be few and far between. I own 5 other bikes, oddly enough they all shift fine. As far selling it? At this point is just a blog project. It is technically still shifting so I'll ride it until it doesn't. For what I will get out of selling it, which will be next to nothing, it's worth more as a project.
Are the others who have reported jumping out of 6th gear 2016 models or is it a mix?

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 06-20-2016, 11:10 AM   #72

It's a mixed bag along with severity.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:15 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSaddict View Post
It's a mixed bag along with severity.
Ok....just looking for a pattern here. Like production numbers between "X and X" or something like that.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 06-20-2016, 12:24 PM   #74

Most bikes I've ridden have a longer travel from 5th to 6th.
This is what I would do to define that it is for sure a problem.

1. Make sure shifter is tight on spline and when in neutral will spring back forcefully when pushed up or down.

2. Only shift into 6th with the engine high in the rev range(don't short shift it)

3. Run synthetic oil

Wait long enough for proper break-in

Old 06-20-2016, 02:13 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by katflap View Post
I'm not fully up to speed on this problem but I don't remember hearing of this issue before this latest batch of RX3 bikes from CSC.

I was wondering if perhaps a few of these newer bikes just have a bad batch of engines.

I get the impression that Zongshen are constantly revising components in this engine. An example of this is with my RX3 the countershaft sprocket is held on with a bolt rather than a nut. Yet my RX3, supposedly has the exact same engine as yours even though Its an 2014 model (UK).

Fortunately for me, my gearbox is fine
Attachment 6447
mine is the new 2016 and sill has the nut, wonder which would be better? Knock on wood ,but mine has been shifting flawlessly. I did switch to full synthetic at the first oil change though.