Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2017, 12:17 PM   #16

Italika, eh!

Must be an Italian bike, maybe like a Ducati or Moto Guzzi?

Another lost opportunity to promote the Zongshen brand.

jb

Old 01-08-2017, 12:32 PM   #17

I dont claim to understand global economy or marketing, or string theory, etc.... but I am really baffled why they choose not to use one worldwide name for their product. It seems like such a poor marketing decision, as well as searching for global aftermarket products.

Old 01-08-2017, 12:55 PM   #18

I'm not a marketing guy either. Note that Zongshen appears to want NOT to be a name brand like Honda. They want to manufacture motorcycles (and motors) and let the local distributor assume all the responsibility beyond actual production. Thus, you see CSC on the outer engine cover and elsewhere, not Zongshen. On one hand this is a pretty smart approach since the local distributor is closer to the customer and should have a better idea of what the market wants. The 15" rear wheel is a good example. In the US the customers want a 17" wheel in order to get more tire choices. Other markets are OK with 15". Although fuel injection is well proven and in many ways superior, carbs are cheap and easy to work on in a third world situation. The KTMs of the world want to build a 'world bike' so when Europe mandates ABS you see all of their bikes saddled with ABS and its associated cost. Zongshen might be foretelling the future of vehicle manufacturing, we'll see.

Old 01-08-2017, 01:18 PM   #19

Italika is a fairly well known brand in Mexico. They sell scooters, atv's (driven on the street in a lot of areas instead of a car), and smaller motorcycles. The small bikes and scooters are used in many places for delivery bikes.

At least for the Mexican market, the Italika brand has more name recognition than Zongshen. Similar to the AKT brand in Columbia. There's also not the CB bias in these countries (most countries for that matter except the U.S.)

It would appear that Zongshen has made at strategic decision to partner with established brand or existing importers in other countries rather than spend millions of marketing dollars in each geography to market and establish the Zongshen brand in each location. I'm sure there are also some efficiency from a legal and regulatory standpoint as well. They do not have to create legal entities in each country they want to import their bikes into. Their partner has already done that. This approach allows Zongshen to enter markets more quickly and cost effectively.

Rojo

Old 01-08-2017, 01:32 PM   #20

Rojo....good answer. Now that you bring up that point, I remember Toyota building the cars that were sold here as Geo's. Also, Isuzu built the (older model) Honda Passport as well.

Old 01-08-2017, 04:55 PM   #21

Global marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureDad View Post
I dont claim to understand global economy or marketing, or string theory, etc.... but I am really baffled why they choose not to use one worldwide name for their product. It seems like such a poor marketing decision, as well as searching for global aftermarket products.
While Zongshen may be well established in China and other Asian countries, it's possible that the same "makers" that gave the bad reputation for Made In China here, also tainted the name in other countries. So you reach out to start fresh with somebody that the populace in a country will have confidence in.

General Motors learned the "Name" lesson in the late 1960's -early 70's with their bread & butter model the Chevy Nova. They started to export to Mexico and other Spanish speaking countries in Central & South America, but sales were dismal compared to other models. It was finally noted that Nova was phonetically identical to "No Va", which in Spanish means "No go."

Old 01-08-2017, 07:37 PM   #22

Jay, I was also thinking of the Nova analogy

On the flip side...Datsun migrated back to mothership name Nissan here in norte amerkanski. We know the rest of that story.

Perhaps it will one day be so for zong.

Seems like I saw a report that there was talk about bringing back a line called Datsun.

Member that ill hustler, great runner

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 01-11-2017, 09:44 PM   #23

Thumbs Up Italika VX 250/Zongshen RX3

Hola a todos los colegas moteros de este foro.....er...sorry no espaƱol here!
Let me start again!

Hello to all the interesting riders in this forum!
I'd been following the development of the RX3 since I bumped into the CSC blog and got very exited to se a model that I could use as a daily conmuter, weekend explorer or world tourer.
Heck, I got so pumped about this bike I even wrote Mr. Berk about they selling them in Mexico.
Now that It has finally been brought to Mexico by Italika I'm looking forward to do a significant down payment to enjoy throught all over ny beautiful(and troubled) country.

Diferences between both the north american model and the mexican one are that the later is more similar to the Colombian m odel, the AKT Adventour 250.
It keeps the 15" wheel and carburetor.
I'm not aware of extra conectors like the ones found in the US vesion.
You can order in any color as long as it is Black/Red combo

The service Italika provides is fairly good but I'll love to see the customer service department responding as quickly as CSC and acomplish the same level of quality service.

Anyway as soon as I get mine, I let you know. It is going to be part of my 50th birthday project.

Keep in touch, Fellows

Old 01-11-2017, 10:11 PM   #24

Welcome! and with the purchase, you get to enjoy the help, assistance, and friendship we enjoy on this forum. You could always make a trip to California with yours, for parts, service, a 17 inch rear wheel, and join them on their Baja Ride.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:23 PM   #25

Traveling turtle (TT)...Just a matter of time untill a community of Mexican rx3 riders pop up. Welcome to chinariders.net beinvedinedos amigo (can't spell but you get it)
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 01-12-2017, 10:23 PM   #26

Hi everyone,
Let me introduce myself, my name is Leonardo, I live in Mexico City and two weeks ago I bought online the italika vx250 as is called here. The vx250 is a zongshen zs250gy-3(carburetor). The vx250 documentation has an Italika vx250 user manual and also the zongshen motorcycle maintenance manual. In the italika webpage is a mistake because the real size of the rear wheel is 17'' In the user manual is corrected. The lightbulb is a hs1 12v 35w/35w led. Italika is a huge mexican company that import chinesse motorcycle parts and here they assemble all the parts to sell different kinds of motorcycles and atv's. In the last 10years Italika becomes in the No. 1 motorcycle seller with the 70percent of the national motorcycle market share. I think the success of Italika is based in low prices (adequate cost-benefit) a lot of credit options, more 3500 stores including walmart mexico bestbuy mexico, hundreds of service centers and cheap spare parts and from my own experience a great customer service.
I hope I have solved some doubts about the ''Mexican RX3'' If you have any question or doubt please ask me. Thank you for all your information shared in this forum. Maybe in a future you could come down here and drive our RX3's around teotihuacan pyramids.
Leonardo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170112_210324_resized.jpg (49.8 KB, 731 views)
File Type: jpg 20170112_210350_resized.jpg (66.9 KB, 710 views)

Old 01-12-2017, 10:39 PM   #27

OK, Leo. Still never sure there was any doubt about it.

Sounds like there will be a good support/parts network too.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:17 AM   #28

Welcome Leo... I had no idea Italkia was so big, and had so much market share. That is only going to help Zongshen and the RX3. There are some mistakes in our owners manual as well, and some bad translating. Yeah, since we all own RX3's on this site, you dont have to convince us

I'd love to ride MY RX3 to see just about anything in your beautiful country.