Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2016, 04:47 PM   #1

Stock Hand Guard Mounting

I am having a hell of a time getting the stock (or sold as) hand guards to fit. I can get the right side on but the lever is now pointing up too much and I can't get it to be level..

The left side doesn't work at all. With it on there isn't enough room to get it on there and not bind up on the clutch lever and that is dangerous.

Has anyone had this issue? And if so why are they being sold as such?

I don't like modifying things just to fit because it voids the warranty and I really shouldn't have to if they are sold like they fit.

Frustrating.

Old 05-01-2016, 05:35 PM   #2

Can you post some pix? This is discouraging news indeed.

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 05-01-2016, 06:08 PM   #3

I didn't buy the CSC hand guards, but I'm sure someone who did will soon reply. In the meanwhile, please do post some photographs of your installation. I am interested to see the problem, and I'm sure others are interested as well.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-01-2016, 07:03 PM   #4

Hummm, I recall reading that the '16 models had bar end weights installed by the factory. In order to keep the total width the same they (the factory) decided to make the bars themselves shorter. That means we now have clearance issues with the hand guards. CSC immediately saw the problem and is going to send out new bars that are the 'old' size so we won't have the clearance issue. I saw where the replacement bars just came in so I would expect to get a package any day now.

Peter Y.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:31 PM   #5

Ryan told me they are expecting the new bars shortly. I emailed him last week about the time frame.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:50 PM   #6

Here are the Pictures.

First shows the tight clearance. Can't move the clutch lever over enough without it going onto the curve of the riser portion. Also you cant get the guard mount very tight to the light switch as the wires are smashed between the two.

Next is the lever hitting the guard mount, there is a little cam that engages the clutch switch underneath that hits.

This pictures shows the lever just clearing the mount in the open position. The little switch cam on the lever not hitting.

Hope these help but a little notice about the bar issue would have been nice from CSC before they were sold as the package deal, now I'm stuck with unusable guards, wife is not happy...

I'll contact CSC about a possible return, I hope as I already tossed all the packaging.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:56 PM   #7

you do not need to send back the guards Ryan will send you the right bars all you have to do is tell csc did not want to seem like i don't feel your frustration just that CSC will go out it's way to make it right

Old 05-02-2016, 12:03 AM   #8

" Also you cant get the guard mount very tight to the light switch as the wires are smashed between the two."

On mine I took the light switch apart and cut the place where the wires come out and moved that slot down father to get the wires to come out closer to bottom of switch. This gave added clearance to get the CSC hand guard mount right up against the switch with wires coming out just below CSC HG mount. Mine is last years 2015 model. rj

Old 05-02-2016, 01:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
" Also you cant get the guard mount very tight to the light switch as the wires are smashed between the two."

On mine I took the light switch apart and cut the place where the wires come out and moved that slot down father to get the wires to come out closer to bottom of switch. This gave added clearance to get the CSC hand guard mount right up against the switch with wires coming out just below CSC HG mount. Mine is last years 2015 model. rj
When you have time, could you please post a photo of the modification, Rob.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-02-2016, 02:56 PM   #10

Anyone have the measurements of the 2015 bar? Width would be good. I might just get a set of nicer bars if I have to replace them anyway.

Old 05-02-2016, 04:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
When you have time, could you please post a photo of the modification, Rob.
be glad to Spud. Just cut the channel deeper towards the ground. Have to take apart some of the insides that secure the electric wires so take a cell phone pic of it to remember how it should go together maybe. rj

Old 05-02-2016, 04:32 PM   #12

Thanks for the tip, RJ!

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 05-02-2016, 06:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
be glad to Spud. Just cut the channel deeper towards the ground. Have to take apart some of the insides that secure the electric wires so take a cell phone pic of it to remember how it should go together maybe. rj

Wow, you have a bit more room on your bars than I do. Just moving my lever over slightly and I was into the riser portion of the bar. I would guess they cut a good 3 to 4 inches off to fit the weights.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by detours View Post
Thanks for the tip, RJ!
X2; thanks for posting the photo, Rob.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-03-2016, 01:48 PM   #15

Called Ryan, new bars are in the works. Looks like we didn't get on the email list for the info.