Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2011, 04:03 PM   #1

2LZ Vacation Pt II

Hi all!
Well, I finally made it out of town for a couple days and did some riding and actually relaxed for a moment or two!

The Eagle has Landed!

Settled in: Just me, The Taj Majal, Q and an undisclosed number of frosty adult beverages on ice! Solitude. It really is what it's cracked up to be. 8)

After getting the electrical finished from the pole to the Taj Majal, I relaxed the rest of the evening, went to bed at a decent hour and was up early for a ride. I started here at the Sierra House in Pine Grove for a hearty breakfast and some coffee before hitting the road.

First stop after breakfast. The crystal blue waters of Lake Tabeaud. A fisherman's dream.

Then, off to the Indian Grinding Rock state park for a look around.

After that, I took off for Black Chasm. It was a bit pricey for my taste but will be a nice destination to take Mrs 2LZ for a wander through caves and caverns.

Stumbled across some nice dirt roads and just rode for a while taking in the sites. The tires handled this terrain quite nicely. No surprises whatsoever.

Got back out on the windy mountain roads and came to the historic town of Volcano. Here's the old St George Hotel, in all its restored glory.

The thing about the historic mining towns that still exist...when a thirst hits....the choices are limited. :?

This building is quite famous and has been used in old shows and movies. It's the old Volcano jail. I think it's an outdoor play house now...of all things.

Here is the retired home the famous canon, Old Abe. It's credited with ending the Civil War.....then the arguement ensues that it's the 'type' of canon that was used to end the Civil War but yes, it was actually there and used in the final battles. That fact is documented.
I've learned three truthes in life. "Death, taxes and don't get a Civil War historian started...."
Anyway....seems a shame Old Abe sits here in this old building, dusty and forgotten. It was once used to knock down the walls for freedom's sake. Now it sits locked behind fencing. Ironic indeed.

After I left Volcano, I rode back roads for quite a while. Then, I spit out of the hills into the town of Sutter Creek. Thought I'd swing by an old haunt, "Sutter Creek Palace for a cold one but alas...it was closed down! :x

After leaving Sutter Creek, I hit the old road that weaved its way back up the hill toward the Taj Majal. Along the path....I stopped at the soon-to-be-restored Lions park for a splash of water.

Here is a typical road and stream I rode by all day. Still quite lush and green, especially for August. The temps were perfect and as you can see....the stream screams "Come catch your bounty of trout and get rich on gold!" I love the Gold Country of Nor Cal. It's true beauty gets into your soul.

Back at the camp site for some solitude. A nice 5+ hours out on Q and I'm happy to say, she performed flawlessly!
Now....time for a few frosty ones, quality time with Q and some Pink Floyd. 8)

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 08-12-2011, 04:25 PM   #2

Thanks for posting the great photos, 2LZ! Indeed, your XP200 performed flawlessly; it's a great little motorcycle. I'm glad you finished working, and started riding during your vacation!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-12-2011, 04:49 PM   #3

Sounds like a good ride with some great pics. That is some real nice country.

Don't ask for anymore time off! Denied! :twisted:

Take it easy.......

Old 08-12-2011, 05:24 PM   #4

How come when I go out to Nor-Cal for work I never see any of this stuff. :?

All I ever get to see is mile upon mile of railroad yards.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 08-12-2011, 07:49 PM   #5

Now you've got the vacation thing down pat! I grade this one as an A+! Thanks for sharing the pics, beautiful countryside!

Old 08-12-2011, 10:40 PM   #6

Yep, this attempt at time off was much more successful.. Thanks for the pics!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-16-2011, 12:19 AM   #7

First day back to work today....... :? Post-Weekoff Blues.
I hear my boss come in over my cube wall....

"Hey! You happy to be back!?"
"Open up your calendar." I said. It was 6:45. I meant it.

He opens it up after logging in....I'm over his shoulder....
"One week wasn't enough. I actually got 2 days vacation out of 9. What's your schedule?"

We go over it....... He's got family and kids, Boy Scout Master, etc...etc... Takes priority. Me and Mrs. 2LZ are no longer in that boat. The Lord had other plans for our daughter, in Heaven, so I always try to be accomodating for the 'family guys' thoughout the year. Cover the funny shifts, so to speak. Mrs 2LZ does the same thing. Team players.

BOOKED! I get the 4 days after Labor Day off!
Back to the Taj Majal with Q!
I may get the hang of this yet......... 8)
Wow....excited......... :wink:

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 08-16-2011, 01:15 AM   #8

Great pics, thanks for taking me back home. You almost made it all the way to Sonora!

I still get chest pains I miss Kalifornia...

Old 08-16-2011, 10:47 AM   #9

I got 139.75 hours to burn before the end of the year. Since I had the preferred times last year I plan to use mine at alternative times to give others a chance too.