Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2014, 10:58 AM   #1

Tao tao 125D question

Hello everyone. Got myself a bit of a problem I think. I bought this 125D for my grandson thinking it might be a bit much for him. I live on a 5 acre piece of hill lol and if there is a flat spot on it I aint found it yet. I never thought a 125cc machine would have problems going up inclines carring a skinny little 7 year old kid but thats the problem lol. It runs fine and even pulled my fat behind at the dealer to get it loaded but just sits and revs when it sees the smallest incline. Any help would be appreciated. Right now I am thinking of dropping thefront sproket to a 12 tooth and getting a 42 tooth for the rear.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:08 PM   #2

That is probably the best thing you can do. Is this one of the forward/neutral/reverse type of transmissions?

Old 03-13-2014, 02:20 PM   #3

Yes its the fnr type. I should have mentioned that lol. Also is it normal for these to smoke when they get warmed up? It isn't a lot of smoke but it's enough to notice.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:04 PM   #4

smoke

Hello , first of all change the oil to 15w -40... it may have the factory shipping oil in it .... and check on you tube on how to adjust the clutch... it may need adjusting.... they usually are ok right from the start... but a check on the adjustment would be good to do..... and yes if you want more climbing power change the gears.... WELDAND GRIND has a lot of experience on that and can tell you where to get lower gearing... does it work good with his weight on the atv????? and it is slow with your weight???? I am 200 lbs and when I build them they carry me no problem.... so as I say .. check the clutch adjustment

Old 03-13-2014, 09:29 PM   #5

Flashlightboy, would you be able to tell him how to adjust the clutch on that type. Is the same as the xr50?

Old 03-14-2014, 12:44 AM   #6

Thanks for the replies! I will change the oil first thing in the morning and check youtube to learn how to adjust the clutch. Oh and no I won't get on it as I am way too big for it lol. I had my wife run it around the land a few times to check things out. She tips the scales at about 115.
Now I have to ask a stupid question. This bike has the cvt belt style. Does it still have a clutch?

Old 03-14-2014, 02:37 AM   #7

cvt???

the 125 D atv FROM TAOTAO does nto have a cvt...... it just has a chain that drives the rear axle... the clutch engages when you put it into gear to drive the output shaft of the transmission... as you say it does not move forward to well when you put it into gear... this usually means the clutch is slipping... was this brand new when you bought it??? as I would take it back to the dealer if it was like this brand new... if the clutch adjustment does not help... and when you drain the oil out... look for metal in th e oil... you may have blown th e clutch... does the motor rev up ok when in neutral??? as if the carb is nto adjusted right ... it will nto let it power up to drive the atv... need some info but try the new oil and clutch adjustment..

Old 03-14-2014, 12:59 PM   #8

Yep your right no cvt. Changed the oil but not started it yet. Since i already have the foot rest off i am going to try to get some info on adjusting the clutch. Yes this bike is new from a dealer here in town. The engine revs fine in N. I think the idle may be a fuzz too high though but not sure. When in N it revs good without a stumble or anything so I should probably leave that be for now. I didnt see any metal in the oil but the oil did have a very faint gas smell.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:03 PM   #9

Well I'm happy now lol. No smoke and got the clutch adjusted a little better than it was. Now it pulls pleny good for the youngins till they get better and more comfortable with it. May change sprokets at that time. Thanks for all the help!

Old 03-16-2014, 06:40 PM   #10

If your dealer can't get parts in the future, try Excalibur Motorsports www.atv4usa.com. They are a Tao Tao distributor and for all intents and purposes could even be the outfit your dealer got your bike from. The only catch is that you are going to have to know what you need as far as what is wrong and what parts you need to order (good idea joining chinariders) since they are not great at diagnosing problems or knowing too much about maintenance, etc.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-18-2014, 12:05 AM   #11

China rider help

you say CHINARIDER is not great at any help???? if the question is ask properly and info is given them we can help.... as I told the person about his clutch.. I do not know where this person is... but you can always check for the dealer or supplier head offices... TAO TAO has 4 warehouses in the USA and 2 in CANADA ... people just have to use some common sense and think.... and as a lot of the people on this site always direct people to is EBAY for parts if in doubt.. and there are lots of how to do on YOUTUBE as I directed him to.... that way you learn right.... at your leisure...

Old 03-18-2014, 11:01 AM   #12

Relax, Flashlightboy. That's not what he's saying.

He's saying that it's a good idea to join ChinaRiders, because Excalibur is "not great at diagnosing problems or knowing too much about maintenance."

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-18-2014, 05:39 PM   #13

I was happy with the help i got. It was what i needed....... thanks

Old 03-19-2014, 12:35 AM   #14

HELP on Chinariders

Ok I guess maybe I read it wrong... sorry If I offended anyone... just trying to help and steer guys the right way... as there is a lot ot learn and understand and I hate it when a person gets to carried away fixing things instead of keeping it simple as most of know these are simple and easy to fix and keep running.... just use the right gas... keep bolts tight.. and adjust the chain properly... otherwise it all goes to hell..

Old 12-02-2014, 01:52 AM   #15

clueless

can't figure this out, I can cross the solenoid over and it will start and run, but no lights...will not start by starter button. Tao tao 125 manual shift. Tried the brakes while starting and all that