Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2015, 11:23 AM   #1

Fuel Tank Dongfang DF250RTC

In what is becoming a common theme, I have yet another part giving me hell. I thought my petcock was leaking so I replaced it, only to find fuel leaking out of the weld where the petcock screws onto the fuel tank.

I'm no welder, but this seems like a tricky fix. Any ideas?

Can I even find a new fuel tank if I just decide to replace it?

Old 10-28-2015, 11:38 AM   #2

One of my favourite products is Permatex Cold Weld. It differs from J-B Weld, in that it actually says it resists gasoline. I've repaired tanks with it before.

Drain all of the fuel from the tank, allow all of the moisture to evaporate, and flip the tank over. Get the area around the fitting as clean as you can, and then mix up some Cold Weld and apply it around the leaking area. You can be quite generous with it, and you can even add more after the first batch has cured. once fully cured, it can be sanded or filed into whatever shape you need, and it can be painted.

Another cool product is SteelStik by J-B Weld. I don't know if it will resist gasoline, but it's a putty, rather than a thick liquid. It's really easy to knead the catalyst into the resin goo, and it allows you to apply the putty to an overhead surface, like the bottom of a gas tank in a car.

I tried searching Taobao for a replacement tank, but I'd need more info. What is the model number that is on the steering neck?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-28-2015, 03:03 PM   #3

My brother in law is suggesting JB Weld Auto Weld.

Will try that tonight.

Need to butter up the wife and get a new bike

Old 10-28-2015, 11:21 PM   #4

I used jb. Weld a longtime ago on a cracked seam on a ford tractor tank theslowsetting type. Let it sit in sun light for a few days, still holding gas

Tags
df250rtc, dongfang, fuel tank