Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2018, 08:54 PM   #1

Anyone trade their big, powerful, comfortable touring or ADV bike for an RX3 ?

Besides my new TT250, I own a 2016 BMW R1200R. It’s an amazing bike capable of doing virtually anything you want. But since buying the TT, I find that it has become my “go to” bike because it’s so light and fun. My BMW is 505 lbs. wet and although it is very light for its class, it now feels like 1000 lbs. after getting off the TT. By no means am I comparing the RX3 to the BMW but as I get older, the need for speed has diminished. I’m really getting into the less is more philosophy and so I’m intrigued by the RX3 to use as my road bike. I rarely get on the freeway anymore as I live out in the country and just enjoy the twisties. I don’t mind the slow acceleration as it gives me time to smell the roses. I ride 2 up only occasionally when my wife is up for it and that may be the only time where the lack of power may be a factor.

So I’m curious if anyone out there traded there “big” bike for an RX3 and whether you regretted it. Whenever I see an RX3 for sale it is generally stated that the owner wants a bigger bike.

Besides weight, another issue that factored into this crazy thought process is I recently had a rock break the R12R headlight. A new headlight, are you ready for this, costs $1100 and it’s not even LED. That half the price of my TT. OUCH !!

I welcome your input including telling me that I should be committed for even considering such a crazy idea.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:56 PM   #2

Have you set the drive shaft afire, yet?

I don't know what BMW you have, but I'd never own any BMW unless I won a lottery and had nothing else to waste money on. Seems everyone thinks the 1200 GS is the latest and greatest adventure bike, but it isn't, because there is no more Paris to Dakar. It was developed to race Paris to Dakar, all road and open desert. It does those two things better than any other motorcycle in the world does both. However, being so highly specialized, it actually sucks at just about everything else. Most people with $$$$ to ride around the world find out pretty quick that anything except highway and open desert sand those BMWs need trucks to haul them where the rider wants to go.

That is the way specialized motorcycles are. Race replicas go real fast, but are generally not real comfortable. Big touring bikes are oh so comfy, but really suck in tight maneuvers. Hardtail cruisers are great for bopping around town, but get ache quick on an extended ride. Some bikes do a lot of things, but not much really well. There is no motorcycle that is versatile enough to please everyone all the time.

So, the only satisfactory solution is multiple bike syndrome. I have 40 bikes, mostly collectables, some in showroom condition, some in boxes. Each has a purpose. For instance, I have 4 TW200s. First is close to stock, still 200cc 5-speed with only rejetting and o-ring chain, bigger tank, and soft luggage, plus a few picky things like aluminum bars and gel grips. 2nd is bored and stroked 276cc, ported and polished head, bigger valves, cam, EFI, custom exhaust, 6-speed trans and clutch from XT225, and all manner of adventure bike style luggage, and a custom seat to spoil my touche. Not that I need it, did a SS1000 on a stock TW200 seat. I just wanted it, and need no reason. Third TW is also 276cc with the XT225 trans and clutch, with an ATV tire on the bike and the stock 180/80-14 on the front, and triple discs. Fourth TW is a café style, 276cc, TT230R tans and clutch, 276cc, Mikuni carb, about 33hp, triple discs, Kevlar mags, and stripped to nothing. Those 4 and my RX3 are all licensed and ridden regularly. The adventure TW276 is very similar to the RX3, just a lot better at just about everything. However, it cost 3 times as much.

As an example of my collectors, I have 3 Harley XR750s. One is a dirt track style, same as Evil jumped. One is a road race version, never raced but stripped for parts, now completely restored, of which only about 18 were ever built. These two are in showroom condition. The third I just picked up, and it is in boxes. It will one day be an adventure bike, unless I die first.

So, you want to ride dirt track with a road racer or adventure bike, Daytona or Sears Point with a dirt tracker or adventure bike, or the Trans American Trail on a dirt tracker or road racer? Same bikes, but each has specific capabilities.

Therefore, keep your BMW as long as it serves a purpose for you that you can safely enjoy. Keep your RX3 with the same mindset. You don't have to choose.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:05 AM   #3

The Mrs and I used to bike camp a lot on our Victory's, among other medium distance trips. I've had Q since it was new and always loved the little guy for all the reasons you explained. We got the RX3's and it seemed my Vic was collecting dust. Like you, we now just do tons of twisties and no longer hit the highways. I ended up reluctantly selling my Vic but now don't regret it as it just sat and went to a good home. Mrs. 2LZ still has her Kingpin but it sits. The RX3's are our "go to" bikes.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 06-18-2018, 10:20 AM   #4

I have found as I've gotten older, that I enjoy a smaller bike more than a bigger bike, I currently have A Honda NC700X, and the Yamaha XT250, and my CSC RX3 (And a AJP PR4 for the dirt), and find that since I got the RX3, it gets ridden more than any of my other bikes.......If the wife is riding with me, I take the NC700X, but if I'm by myself, I prefer the RX3 for most of my riding.
But if you like running a bunch of miles via the super slab, it's not the best bike, but if like me, most of your riding is secondary roads, then it's a really great bike
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Last edited by Huck369; 06-18-2018 at 01:08 PM.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:07 PM   #5

Meloman,

There are a number of RX3 owners that already have/had larger bikes as you do. As time went by and they found the big ones collecting dust, those got sold off.

There have also been some (two, I think) that sold the RX3 because it didn't blast the interstate in a manner they desired.

So, to each their own.

Old 06-18-2018, 04:40 PM   #6

We sound like a bunch of old farts downsizing since we no longer worry about the sizes of things. I figure as long as I have enough to satisfy myself it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:08 PM   #7

I just sold my NC700x and got a DR650 with the money. Still have my Rx3 cause you just need one. Your ticket for the CSC sponsored rides. The DR650 will do every thing the RX3 will do plus go down the highway at speed a bit better. Reason for selling the NC700x was downsizing. If I need to pile on miles on a trip the DR will get her done. Everything else the RX3 will do. Weigh around the same I think. I find I get tired of a bike and just want something different way before I ever wear one out. Rj

Old 06-20-2018, 09:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
I just sold my NC700x and got a DR650 with the money. Still have my Rx3 cause you just need one. Your ticket for the CSC sponsored rides. The DR650 will do every thing the RX3 will do plus go down the highway at speed a bit better. Reason for selling the NC700x was downsizing. If I need to pile on miles on a trip the DR will get her done. Everything else the RX3 will do. Weigh around the same I think. I find I get tired of a bike and just want something different way before I ever wear one out. Rj
I still like my NC700X....and it gets better gas mileage than either my RX3 or my XT250.......hard to believe a 700 can get better than 250's

But the RX3 is the one I like riding most.
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member