Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Reviews
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2011, 12:52 AM   #1

Baja Designs Headlight

This headlight was put on my American Lifan LF200GY-5. Let me get this out of the way...I didn't even realize how dangerous the stock headlight actually was until I put this headlight on. Kind of like, "wow, so that is what the road looks like at night!" It really is that much of a difference. Also, the light that comes up between the headlight plastics and the speedometer of the stock unit is eliminated with the Baja Designs because it rests right on the speedometer with nothing shining through.

Wiring:

My BD headlight came equipped with an H4 halogen bulb in it and the connector ready to be wired up. It included a wiring diagram as well. I took a guess on which wires were high/low on my headlight based on the BD diagram and the colors. I wired blue-high beam, white-low beam, green-ground. It works perfectly. There are two wires on the BD that come off the day-time running light (I think that's what it is), although when I tested my wiring, the light came on and switched between high/low without that running light being hooked up. The running light comes with two bullet style connectors-one male, one female. I wired in the proper bullet connectors to my existing running light wires and just connected them.

For the main three wires, I clipped the three wires off my existing headlight/wires and soldered them to the H4 yellow connector. Then I put male bullet connectors on the green, white, and blue wires coming off the yellow connector and on the green, white, and blue wires coming from the bike. I then plugged them into bullet connectors/sockets.

After that, I put the four rubber straps onto the forks and I was done. After I got all the soldering done and the connections plugged, it took may-be 2-4 minutes to actually mount the headlight to the forks. EASY!

Lighting:

Like I said earlier, I didn't realize how dangerous my stock headlight was at night until I hooked up the Baja Designs headlight! It gives a great light path in front of the bike. I feel so much safer riding at night now. Also, I can find an H4 halogen bulb almost anywhere.

Quality:

The quality is excellent! It also has a glass lens!

Overall rating:

I give the Baja Designs headlight 5 out of 5 stars and would highly recommend it to anyone upgrading their headlight. It makes my bike look much more rugged and ready to ride!

Old 07-23-2011, 01:31 AM   #2

Thanks for posting this thorough, well written review, Tim! I also love my Baja Designs headlight!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-23-2011, 12:28 PM   #3

Thanks for the review. Please show us.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-23-2011, 06:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Thanks for the review. Please show us.
Yes, if you have time, please post some photos of your Baja Designs headlight, Tim. You know we love photos! I'll start the ball rolling by posting a photo of the BD headlight I installed on my Honda XR650L. 8)

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-24-2011, 12:21 AM   #5

Sorry, I had to take a few photos before I could post any :wink:
They were taken with my phone, so not the best quality, but you can see how it looks on the Lifan. I think that along with the Acerbis supermoto front fender, it changes the look of the whole bike for the better! As Spud said previously, it looks rugged.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:20 AM   #6

Thanks for posting the photos! Your bike looks great, Tim! The BD headlight and Acerbis fender look much better than the stock parts.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 07-24-2011, 02:45 PM   #7

That's a really good look. The red fork protectors pick up the seat and the trunk nicely, and the headlight and front fender do look more rugged.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-24-2011, 03:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Thanks for posting the photos! Your bike looks great, Tim! The BD headlight and Acerbis fender look much better than the stock parts.

Spud

Thank you Spud. I also appreciate you helping in my decision to get the BD headlight! You were on point!

Old 07-24-2011, 03:11 PM   #9

Quote:
That's a really good look. The red fork protectors pick up the seat and the trunk nicely, and the headlight and front fender do look more rugged.
Thank you Weldngrind. I was actually planning on finishing out the black with the forks, trunk, and building my seat up a bit and making it black. I don't know now though, the hints of red kind of look nice. What do you guys think?

Old 07-24-2011, 07:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider

Spud
Thank you Spud. I also appreciate you helping in my decision to get the BD headlight! You were on point!
You're welcome, Tim. Another nice feature of the BD headlight is the ready availability of relatively inexpensive, replacement parts.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 07-24-2011, 07:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTimmy
Quote:
Thank you Weldngrind. I was actually planning on finishing out the black with the forks, trunk, and building my seat up a bit and making it black. I don't know now though, the hints of red kind of look nice. What do you guys think?
I must admit, I agree with Weldangrind. I think you bike looks great with the touch of red you now have on it.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 07-26-2011, 02:15 AM   #12

I'd keep the red.