Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Reviews
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2010, 12:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal25
You have to find out whats wrong before it can be fixed. No compression could be other tings besides rings. hole in the piston could cause it. So could a broken, bent , or stuck valve. Anytime a component breaks, there is a chance that damage will occur to nearby parts as well.
X2.

Loss of compression can also be caused by a burned exhaust valve or an improperly adjusted decompression device. I wouldn't be tearing into the bottom end anytime soon.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-03-2010, 02:32 PM   #17

what do u mean weld and grind?

Old 09-03-2010, 02:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal25
You have to find out whats wrong before it can be fixed. No compression could be other tings besides rings. hole in the piston could cause it. So could a broken, bent , or stuck valve. Anytime a component breaks, there is a chance that damage will occur to nearby parts as well.
X2.

Loss of compression can also be caused by a burned exhaust valve or an improperly adjusted decompression device. I wouldn't be tearing into the bottom end anytime soon.
ok ok guys i said bad rings because that is the most common cause of a no compression, unless what he ment was NO compression what so ever. in that case it would be something else. but i took him saying no compression to mean very low compression, or the compression numbers did not match up

Old 09-03-2010, 03:02 PM   #19

Several of the China bike engines are patterned after old Honda XR stuff, and as such there is often an automatic decompression device that makes starting easier. It is identified by a cable that runs from the area just above the kickstart to the top of the cylinder head. If the cable isn't adjusted properly, the exhaust valve will hang open and not allow compression to develop.

A burned exhaust valve will produce the same symptom, but it's less likely on a low mile bike.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-03-2010, 04:07 PM   #20

dont have one of those on mine, but on the head there is a bolt that looks to just be bolted into the head

Old 09-09-2010, 02:28 PM   #21

Update -

Mechanic has advised the top part of the engine is a mess. The Piston and the rings, the gasket and a few other things. The suspected cause of the engine seizing was something to do with a tube not carrying the oil to the pistons. He has recommended a full strip down and that it will work out cheaper fitting a new engine rather than doing seperate parts. He said something about needing a gasket kit or something.

Total estimated price is £790.

I bought the bike for less than that :(

Old 09-09-2010, 02:31 PM   #22

contact gio, you can pick up a 250cc 5spd manual motor for 600

Old 09-09-2010, 02:32 PM   #23

Not in the UK, you can't.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:33 PM   #24

The engine is £600 with £40 delivery.
Its then 150 for labour :(

Old 09-09-2010, 02:36 PM   #25

Try looking around for a new engine on your own. You could swap the new engine in yourself and save some cash in the process. There must be an importer around that can get that engine for you for less.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #26

didnt know he was in the uk..

you cant find a off brand engine, but say you come across a honda, yamaha, suzuki, etc... motor all you would need is the wiring harness and electronics, carb and exhaust.. might be able to find a totaled bike or quad and that would have every single thing you need..

Old 09-09-2010, 03:02 PM   #27

Now may be your chance to upgrade to a 200cc engine.

Sounds like a manufacturers defect to me. You should be able to source an engine far cheaper than quoted. Installation is not too difficult for someone with alittle mechanical ability. Or you could find another bike.

Allen