Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2020, 11:58 PM   #1

Tbr7 and "street legal"

Q9 powersports sells the TBR7 (on preorder) for $1289, and they claim it is 49 state legal! But here in Colorado, motorcycles from China have to be on the EPA, FMSSA? and the NHTS list and have the stickers on the bikes. Does anyone have any specific information or prior registrations in states as strict as CO? Or information on registering chinese MC's in CO?
For the price (including shipping), it is perfect to hang-out on the back of the motorhome!!

Old 05-12-2020, 10:31 PM   #2

My 2018 TT250 has no such stickers and some info from the NHSTA site

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewbrash View Post
Q9 powersports sells the TBR7 (on preorder) for $1289, and they claim it is 49 state legal! But here in Colorado, motorcycles from China have to be on the EPA, FMSSA? and the NHTS list and have the stickers on the bikes. Does anyone have any specific information or prior registrations in states as strict as CO? Or information on registering chinese MC's in CO?
For the price (including shipping), it is perfect to hang-out on the back of the motorhome!!
I am wondering why my CSC TT250 doesn't have these stickers. It does have one on the swing arm that just says it complies with all applicable safety standards, but no mention of what standards. There is also a sticker on the steering "shaft" (for my lack of a better word) that states the engine is EPA certified. Nothing else.

My Orion RXB150 says "dirt bike" on a sticker on at the same location, but my MCO says "Motorcycle", which I think is what the DMV is looking for.

I checked out the NHTSA site and this is what they have to say (partially) and I think it leaves a lot to interpretation:

"If a motorcycle or motor driven cycle is capable of a top speed of 20 mph or greater and is equipped with components (such as lights, mirrors, and turn signals) that are needed for on-road use, NHTSA will regard it as having been primarily manufactured for such purposes. Motorcycles and motor-driven cycles with these capabilities and equipment cannot be lawfully imported into the U.S. unless they were originally manufactured to comply with all applicable FMVSS and bear a label certifying such compliance that is permanently affixed by the original manufacturer. "

The way I read this is that if a bike is originally manufactured with lights, mirrors and turn signals, then they are considered as complying for on-road use. In fact, they cannot even be imported with lights, mirrors, and turn signals, unless they meet the standards. The only missing piece for the RXB150 is the sticker, but then the TT250 doesn't have it either.

Orion RXB 150XL

Old 05-12-2020, 10:45 PM   #3

NHSTA site for VIN check

Here is a useful part of the NHSTA site that lets you enter a VIN and see if the bike is registered.

It worked for the TT250, but not for the Orion RXB150. I had tried a different search for the RXB using manufacturer name, but there are 3 different names on my MCO....none worked. So, I'll probably only get tags if they don't do a visual inspection.

Oh, well, I'll just get my off-road sticker..at least I have lights for coming off the trial after dark (not something I plan on doing, just nice to have)...and there was only a $200 difference in price.

Of course, I think there is always the alternative of plating in Vermont...who basically has no rules.

https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/decoder/

Of course, I think there is always the alternative of plating in Vermont...who basically has no rules.

http://www.chinonthetank.com/2014/04...-registration/

Orion RXB 150XL

Old 05-12-2020, 11:22 PM   #4

On the other hand...who asks you, or looks for these stickers?

In checking what is needed for obtaining a title in Colorado, there is no documentation of the NHSTA stuff/stickers. Not sure who is going to be looking for them.

https://www.dmv.org/co-colorado/moto...gistration.php

This is what is needed at the DMV:

* You need an MCO. And, I think if it says Motorcycle rather than Dirt Bike, then this is good thing.

* You apply for a title & registration on a form (that has no such place to enter anything about EPA, NHSTA, etc).

*You have to have a VIN inspection, which is just that, nothing more than what is says....making sure the VIN is OK.

* You need insurance.

* You need an ID.

Orion RXB 150XL

Old 05-13-2020, 12:03 AM   #5

Someone here on Chinariders went off on several tangents regarding their CSC bike, but I cannot recall which one it was (TT250 or RX3 which were the only 2 they carried at that time). He stated the same thing about it not having the proper sticker, and how CSC knew this, and the CSC bikes were not in compliance with something or another and he was going to sue, blah, blah, blah. I think CSC took the bike back just to shut him up and I am guessing it would have been cheaper than dealing with a lawsuit even if they did win. I have seen CSC's bikes showing EPA/DOT certification for their lineup on the EPA/DOT 'on-highway motorcycle' list (it is an excel sheet so cannot link it) as well as California's CARB site. Stickers or not--their bikes are legal in all 50 states.

Which brings me to the Tao bike; it is 49 state legal and shown on the EPA/DOT certification list like the CSC bikes. That being said--generally members here on Chinariders have been the proverbial guinea pig for their state, and several members have had to jump through hoops to get a perfectly federally legal bike plated in their state. A satellite office of a bureaucracy like a state's DMV office does not have the brainpower to figure out a bike's legality or not, or at least that is the image they present. So if no one has registered a TBR7 in Colorado, then one would become the proverbial guinea pig.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 05-13-2020, 12:19 AM   #6

Culcune, thanks to you and everyone for the advice! I think the best thing to do is get a sample VIN number (or any they might have in stock) from Q9 or whoever and just go down to the DMV...get a ticket (wait)...and explain my situation and give the info to somebody just to see what they can come up with. No skin off my nose...it'll be the easiest guinea-pig solution! Or maybe somebody with that bike can just email me their VIN to go with the guinea-piggie to the DMV! YEAH---Stew.

Old 05-14-2020, 01:40 PM   #7

UPDATE...(which I added on another post)...Powersportsmax was kind enough to email back explaining that they cannot send me a sample VIN#. Why, who knows! They did inform me that the manufacturer was indeed a Taotao (DUH!) So if anyone can send me a VIN# for a TBR7, replacing the last 4 digits with XXXX (for your piece of mind), I would really appreciate it!

Thanks! STEW

Old 05-14-2020, 02:26 PM   #8

I did mine in KS earlier this year with no problem. I looked and didn't find any stickers on it. l9nlarjc6l100xxxx
2016 CB300F
2017 Harley street 750

Old 05-14-2020, 02:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by asheck View Post
I did mine in KS earlier this year with no problem. I looked and didn't find any stickers on it. l9nlarjc6l100xxxx
If Kansas registered one, then it is definitely 49 state legal. Unlike us Nebraskans to the north who can get away with registering a Hawk, the folks down in Kansas have a much harder time doing so.

That being said, Kansas still doesn't really follow a lot of the requirements that Colorado does, so the absent stickers not being a problem is also not surprising.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-14-2020, 03:12 PM   #10

I wasn't thinking when you first asked for a sample VIN#; this is the sample VIN Tao used to certify the TBR7 with the EPA/DOT: L9NLARXA5H1000001

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 05-14-2020, 03:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by asheck View Post
Thanks bud! Now the big wait for DMV to open! Couldn't even register my 2000 Silverado (best truck I have ever owned), as Colorado is on a 2 year rolling emissions testing, (mine was due) but you can apply for an extension online (which I did) but only received a response saying due to the high number of requests, your application is being processed...alot of good that does, since it expired April 30...only in the Republic of Colorado! DMV is only online also! APPARENTLY, IT WILL OPEN SOON!

Old 05-14-2020, 08:19 PM   #12

There is a guy that posted a video about his then new 2019 TBR 7 on youtube, his user name on YT is GEORIDESCOM if you want to watch it!

In the video he shows a VIN plate and an emissions plate...if you look carefully you will see atrocious misspelling on plates!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200514_175015.jpg (89.1 KB, 749 views)
File Type: jpg 20200514_175248.jpg (97.3 KB, 721 views)

Old 05-14-2020, 08:49 PM   #13

Mine is different for the 2020, but it has one of the plates on the swingarm. I had just replaced my swingarm, so it's not on the bike.
2016 CB300F
2017 Harley street 750

Old 05-27-2020, 07:52 PM   #14

Hello all, for those that registered a DBR7, what name did you use for the manufacturer? And model?

Old 05-29-2020, 08:07 AM   #15

New York DMV registered the TBR7 as " Tao Tao Motors 2019" - that was in their computer system already.

As was the case for my Insurance with GEICO - it was in their system.