Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2016, 02:12 PM   #1

Question about carbs and jets

ok, here is my question, and it is for everyone that has re-jetted the stock Keihin clone carb on a 229cc (storm 250).

did it help with the top end speed, and if so was it a lot?
today i could not get past 60mph on the speedometer (about 55mph real speed) and it seemed to be from lack of fuel. if i opened the carb any more after 60mph, it slowed down, then i back off a bit, and back up to 60. or is it just the top speed i can get on the 17t/45t sprocket setup? ... it is a sweet bike around town, but like it is now, not much chance it would even see the next town over, at only about 9 miles away

Old 03-08-2016, 02:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARLOW View Post
ok, here is my question, and it is for everyone that has re-jetted the stock Keihin clone carb on a 229cc (storm 250).

did it help with the top end speed, and if so was it a lot?
today i could not get past 60mph on the speedometer (about 55mph real speed) and it seemed to be from lack of fuel. if i opened the carb any more after 60mph, it slowed down, then i back off a bit, and back up to 60. or is it just the top speed i can get on the 17t/45t sprocket setup? ... it is a sweet bike around town, but like it is now, not much chance it would even see the next town over, at only about 9 miles away
my hawk was doing the same thing. are you still running the stock pilot and main? I believe that issue is from running too lean. I went to a 30 pilot and a 115 main. I turned the pilot screw 1.5 turns out. really makes a world of difference. with that setup, I was getting up to 55 mph. keep in mind that I was running the stock hawk sprockets which are taller than yours. Currently I have a 17/50 setup and I'm getting between 55 and 60 depending on wind conditions (on flat stretch of road).

I went to a 117.5 main jet and it felt like it was just a little better on the top end, but it was only perhaps 1 or 2 mph. mostly it was just seat of the pants that it felt a bit better.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
my hawk was doing the same thing. are you still running the stock pilot and main? I believe that issue is from running too lean. I went to a 30 pilot and a 115 main. I turned the pilot screw 1.5 turns out. really makes a world of difference. with that setup, I was getting up to 55 mph. keep in mind that I was running the stock hawk sprockets which are taller than yours. Currently I have a 17/50 setup and I'm getting between 55 and 60 depending on wind conditions (on flat stretch of road).

I went to a 117.5 main jet and it felt like it was just a little better on the top end, but it was only perhaps 1 or 2 mph. mostly it was just seat of the pants that it felt a bit better.
yes, it is bone stock, and i have no clue what jets are in it ... it sounds like if you are getting a top speed of 55-60, i may just be at the top of the speed range, and that saddens me, and makes me wish i would have gotten a used bike because now i will not even get close to what i paid for it ... oh well, guess i need to go pick up my 1980 gs850g and get started on it

Old 03-08-2016, 03:01 PM   #4

Quote:
yes, it is bone stock, and i have no clue what jets are in it ... it sounds like if you are getting a top speed of 55-60, i may just be at the top of the speed range, and that saddens me, and makes me wish i would have gotten a used bike because now i will not even get close to what i paid for it ... oh well, guess i need to go pick up my 1980 gs850g and get started on it
you should be able to get 60 out of it, but I do hear what you are saying. I was hoping my hawk would run 60 comfortably in order to do some on/off day rides. what I've resigned myself to is it's a darn fine bike for trails, back roads or anything where 45 to 55 is max. Above that, I'll probably go to a KLR650 or something comparable. I did see a suzuki DR-Z 400 which would have enough motor for 60 mph. it might be better as it's a bit lighter. However, part of my goal is to do trail riding with my grandson who will soon be on a 110, so I will certainly keep the hawk for that.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:15 PM   #5

well, i expected to be able to cruse at 55-60, seeing as how the place i bought my bike from said top speed of 80mph, but they were supper far off on that, unless they ment in the back of a truck ... lol

Old 03-08-2016, 03:28 PM   #6

Quote:
well, i expected to be able to cruse at 55-60, seeing as how the place i bought my bike from said top speed of 80mph, but they were supper far off on that, unless they ment in the back of a truck ... lol
See....there's your problem....80 KPH

Oh wait....reverse the sprockets....45 front and 17 rear should be about right.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Hey Barlow before you throw our bikes in the garbage here's a picture of the black cowl painted in black

PS my bone stock gets 61 miles an hour on the Garmin GPS before it hits the ceiling . It seems to be breaking in and cruising a little faster every time I try I will give you another reading report one of these days I have about 300 miles on mine. 230 pound rider on the straight and flat
Name:  20160308_160717.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  99.0 KB

Name:  20160308_160701_001.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  100.7 KB

Name:  20160308_160315.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  98.6 KB
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 03-09-2016, 09:47 AM   #8

Quote:
All of these Hondoids are set up very lean and very trail geared. You probably have a 100 main and 20 pilot, like most. This is barlely enough to keep them running but they pass emmisions and must be sold as such. Most have catalytic converters and an air pump. The air pump won't hamper your performance, as all it does is throw fresh air on your hot cat to burn HC's and CO's when your throttle hand is into it.

These bikes are all about gearing and jetting. Do what everyone else does. Bash your cat out, block off the pump, spend the 30.00 on a Mikuni and a pod filter. Put a 115 main and a 30 pilot in it and grow a tooth on the countershaft sprocket and you'll be amazed.
Believe me, here in CA, if your bike was legal, I'd make you an offer............ I'd love to have a Storm on my twisties.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 03-09-2016, 12:49 PM   #9

well, my bone stock storm will not get over about 55mph (60 by speedometer) then it slows down ... i just do not understand how it can pull so well to that point, then just fall on its face ... i want to locate another head, and take a little off of it to up the compression ... i wonder if there is a big bore kit or a stroker kit for the counter balanced 229cc motor ... i just need it to cruse at 55-60 so i can use it on the highway and a smaller rear sprocket is not going to help, or at least i dont think it will

Old 03-09-2016, 01:07 PM   #10

ok, now i think the tt250 has the same motor as your storm. Joe said with his side of beef on it and the change in gearing CSC has done {and probably adding in the larger 21/18 combo) Joe says he has personally done i think he said 74mph. and thats on a carb certified bike.

soooo, the speed is in there somewhere,
now i am around 250, at elevation around 800 to 1k feet, and tho my hawk is not yet broken in, sustained 55mph right now is NO Problem w the 16/45 setup i settled on. got LOads of throttle left too. oh and thats 55 real mph, not as indicated. The hawk motor is Not a balanced one.

The other thing is for you high rev guys, someone pointed out that he thought there is a builtin rev limiter in the stock cdi. The csc mechanic would know if theirs one on the balancer motor placed there by zong.
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 03-09-2016, 03:46 PM   #11

Quote:
well, my bone stock storm will not get over about 55mph (60 by speedometer) then it slows down ... i just do not understand how it can pull so well to that point, then just fall on its face ... i want to locate another head, and take a little off of it to up the compression ... i wonder if there is a big bore kit or a stroker kit for the counter balanced 229cc motor ... i just need it to cruse at 55-60 so i can use it on the highway and a smaller rear sprocket is not going to help, or at least i dont think it will
No need for head work or a Big Bore kit...nor will you probably find any for this CG motor. Just do the normal mods and with your stock gearing on the Storm, you should be fine. You should hit an easy 65 or so, depending on your weight. Again, maybe jump a tooth on the countershaft. All this stuff is cheap to do.

Also, have you adjusted the valves (ice cold engine) and changed the stock oil out? No need for sadness. Just do what everyone else here does that's well-documented and you'll be happy. That 229cc CG motor is a good one and can perform very well, for a very long time, under the right circumstances, for very little money. Also, there is a break-in period you're supposed ot adhere to.... It's painful and somewhat long but you're not suupposed to go over 5000 rpm for the first 500 miles....general rule. There's hot spots that need to mate like cam and pushrods, etc...

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 03-09-2016, 05:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Here's to bad ideas.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Big-b...746771916.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/70MM-...752847946.html

I'm guessing it's what they used to for these
http://www.roketa.com/product/product_support.jsp?cateID=2628&sonCateID=0&proID= 2656\
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai...560316415.html
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai...317546443.html

Last edited by nonone; 03-09-2016 at 09:02 PM.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:00 AM   #13

2lz, yes i have done the valves, and it did make a slight difference on my takeoff ... it just pulls so good up to speed that it seems like it should do a lot better at top end ... it may just be that i am not getting up in the rpms the way i think i am in the lower gears, i think i will get the carb and jets ordered next week sense i will have a little more ot on my check, and maybe my new tach will be in by then ... going to rain every day for the next week or so anyway

Old 03-10-2016, 10:15 AM   #14

Quote:
2lz, yes i have done the valves, and it did make a slight difference on my takeoff ... it just pulls so good up to speed that it seems like it should do a lot better at top end ... it may just be that i am not getting up in the rpms the way i think i am in the lower gears, i think i will get the carb and jets ordered next week sense i will have a little more ot on my check, and maybe my new tach will be in by then ... going to rain every day for the next week or so anyway
That's great news Barlow! The carb and jetting will make a noticable difference. There are many 200 pound guys like me who scoot right along on these same CG engines that you have in your Storm. You're not getting the top speed and are running out of power on the top end due to the factory lean mixture that comes with these. Bottom line is the engine runs out of food when it's most hungry. It's normal the way they come set up. They are not "right" out of crate for how we want them to perform because of EPA standards....but with just a little help, they can run great...and don't forget, you have a lot of folks here who are here to help, who have been down this same path regularly.
Going to be raining here for the foreseeable future also. Time to go and tinker in the garage!

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 03-10-2016, 07:11 PM   #15

ok, if i get this carb, does anyone know for sure what type of jets i will need to get for it
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301820210819...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
i have to try something ... i really like this bike, if i could just get it to cruse at 55 or so that way i can take it out on the road past town

edit: i will be ordering this stuff next week on wednesday, so any help before then would be supper ... thank you