Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2015, 12:24 AM   #1

HOLY CRAP I have lost my mind! :-D

Well, long story short:
My Genuine Roughhouse with it's Prima 70cc kit and Prima Exhaust
and just about every single thing one could upgrade in the transmission,
had massive engine failure on a 4-lane hwy (posted speed limit was 45)
and at 53MPH the engine seized up TIGHT!!!
Causing rear wheel to lock up and a black Chevy S-10 to nearly run over me. ( engine seized, therefore, was no brake light) After about 20 foot of rear tire skidding & fish-tailing the back wheel unlocked and I was -- by then -- rolling at about 10 mph and was able to get onto the shoulder of the road. Lucky for me, it was only a 1 mile walk home, and I did nt even have to walk that far. about halfway home my neighbor, on his way home from work, noticed me and gave me a ride to the house. I got the Jeep pickup, went back and loaded it up and brought it home.
Go figure, AFTER I get it home, just for curiosity, I hit the starter one more time. It started!!!! Maybe overheated?????
I took it out for a ride immediately and have lost about 75% of its power. Max speed was about 30 mph.

Now here is where the " I have lost my mind! " part comes in!
I just ordered a HEAP of stuff about 30 min ago to build my own one of a kind custom scooter!
150cc GY6 LONG case engine, "high performance" CDI, coil, air filter, carb, exhaust, ummmmmm, bunch of LED lights , low profile seat (1.5" lower than stock), foot pegs, and there will be more to come.
Here is why, and I do not know WHY I have been all the sudden so drawn into the custom scooter scene, but the bug has bit, and bit hard!
I reallllly dig the mad dog 150cc and customized Ruckus scooters.
But I have ALSO found myself strongly drawn to the stretched & lowered full bodied scooters like the examples in the pics below. So what I am building is , if you can follow / imagine this, will be a blend of them all.
Will be repainting the body panels to satin black, with engine, wheels, and little bits here and there in high gloss red. Not sure if I will stretch the frame out or not, depends on how it looks with the long case GY6 150 in there, but is a real possibility.
I am not "stupid rich" by no means. But I already have over $2200 invested in this scooter. After paint and God only knows what all else I will have to have, when all is said and done, I will have close to $3200 in it.
Could have just bought a Hooligan. LOL
BUT, mine will be very unique, hand RE-built by me, one of a kind! And BAD ASS!!!!! :-D
A GY6 powered RoughHouse!

Pics of kind'a sort'a example scooters:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg alex002.jpg (54.7 KB, 4059 views)
File Type: jpg nos001.jpg (37.1 KB, 2103 views)
File Type: jpg zuma1.jpg (65.9 KB, 789 views)

Old 07-19-2015, 11:43 AM   #2

Personally I don't see why you want to cut up your present scooter ,you have it modded now and it has some value in it .I would find another scooter that's blown up ,then go to town with it .I have a 2006 yamaha bw50 I picked up this spring for $150.00 with a brand new 70 cc kit and some custom clutch parts ( guy needed a tire for his car to get to work ) there is no reason you couldn't find something like that and build a nice scooter out of it ,while you get to enjoy the other scooter or sell it to ofset the costs of the new build .I am considering my options and am thinking a nice piranha 190 pit bike engine might get my Junkaha moving pretty well .

Old 07-19-2015, 12:42 PM   #3

I tend to agree about not cutting up a nice scooter, but I've certainly been bitten by similar bugs. I'm going to enjoy your build.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-19-2015, 06:50 PM   #4

I understand the concern of not "cutting up" a nearly new scooter. However, there will be no cutting involved. To stretch a scooter, you simply build a rear sub frame that lengthens the wheelbase.
as previously mentioned, I am first going to see how it looks with just the longer GY6 motor in it.
I know it seems silly that I ypped about this here, when there is already an "Louis's Genuine Roughhouse" thread started in the other bikes section.
It was a lapse in good judgment.

To keep things simple, I am putting all my future build posts back over there where it belongs.

Old 07-19-2015, 07:12 PM   #5

Have you figured out yet why it seized up on you?

/

Old 07-19-2015, 08:46 PM   #6

Its your scooter. Cut it up.

I had a similar incident with a yamaha virago when the rear brake shoe broke making a left turn at a busy intersection.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
Have you figured out yet why it seized up on you?

/
Not yet, but over 20 years working in a farm equipment dealership that also has a very large lawn & garden repair shop, I have seen many chainsaws that locked up like that before. Usually is is a scorched piston due to overheating, not enough oil in the mix, or overheated due to running a super lean condition.
I have to take the piston & jug assembly off to put the factory 49cc
Minarelli jug & piston back on, when I do I will post my findings in this
post.
BTW: May be 3 or 4 weeks till that gets done. Just a heads up.
(Unless I get really really bored! lol )

Old 07-20-2015, 11:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Angel View Post
I know it seems silly that I ypped about this here, when there is already an "Louis's Genuine Roughhouse" thread started in the other bikes section.
It was a lapse in good judgment.

To keep things simple, I am putting all my future build posts back over there where it belongs.
It makes sense to start a new thread that is dedicated to your GY6 build, rather than combining it with your 50cc two-smoke thread.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-21-2015, 11:37 PM   #9

I like those modified scooters, they look awesome!
Taking something kind of utilitarian looking and jazzing it up

Old 07-22-2015, 08:56 AM   #10

Other than the obvious simply longer CVT case, is there any performance / engine differences between a short case GY6 and a long case GY6?
( both being 150cc.)

Old 07-22-2015, 09:50 AM   #11

No

Old 07-22-2015, 09:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Other than the obvious simply longer CVT case, is there any performance / engine differences between a short case GY6 and a long case GY6?
( both being 150cc.)
sounds like a neat build, I can't wait to see and hear read about
it

Old 07-22-2015, 11:22 AM   #13

Quote:
( both being 150cc.)
I know that there is more than one final drive ratio available, but I'm not sure if they are case-specific. It really wouldn't matter, because you could change the gears down the road.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:57 PM   #14

I guess there is a possible performance gain with the long case in that it allows a taller tire .

Old 07-23-2015, 04:22 PM   #15

At precisely 1:38 AM this morning, I had a thought cross my mind as I lay there on the couch. Wiring harness will be different!

So on top of shoe horning in a GY6, I will have to also figure out how
to make the charging system work! 0_0

I know it is doable, and I already have the LED light conversion, brake lights, and starting system figured out. Simple stuff. But not sure what to make of the charging system until the engine & misc. parts come in.