Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2021, 12:04 PM   #1

After contemplating the credit card issue, I have come to the conclusion that when you are purchasing a bike...that purchase is recorded as a legal instrument of money for a VIN number via a Bill of Sale...therefore that purchase must be separate from others. If something goes wrong with the sale, the credit card company doesn't want to be on the hook for 4 bikes in a transaction...only one at a time.

Old 10-07-2021, 11:51 AM   #2

Stewbrash That makes sense on the 4 at one purchase.

As an update, two of my sons were able to get Hawk 250's for $1300 a piece. One with 90 miles, and one with 60 miles.

Stewbrash is so convincing, I have tried ordering Raven 250's from Powersports, but something is wrong, and they want a call back. But when I call back, no one answers.

Oh well.

Old 10-07-2021, 02:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewbrash View Post
After contemplating the credit card issue, I have come to the conclusion that when you are purchasing a bike...that purchase is recorded as a legal instrument of money for a VIN number via a Bill of Sale...therefore that purchase must be separate from others. If something goes wrong with the sale, the credit card company doesn't want to be on the hook for 4 bikes in a transaction...only one at a time.
What has led you to this conclusion? Reason I ask is that I write CC clearing software, never heard of passing VIN in CC transaction.. It could certainly be tacked onto one of the more freeform fields for use by POS systems however that information as far as I know is never going to be sent to any government agencies. Generally DMV's would expect a bill of sale to establish vehicle purchase price, and the seller should be providing bill of sale and MSO/MCO for each bike individually.

Also, the various third parties that handle 99% of card clearing in the U.S. can hardly manage to do basic functionality, if the DMV asked them to provide records or interface with their systems it would be a huge mess.

It may be a limitation of their internal systems, I don't think CC clearing has anything to do with it. I purchased 2 Triumphs on my discover card once, no problem.