Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2018, 01:37 PM   #1

Thinking of selling...

So, the love affair was short lived.

After a few all day rides I've come to the conclusion that the RX3 is just too under powered for me. I knew that going in, Maybe not to the extent that it's turned out to be, but still. Any kind of highway riding has me wishing for more hp. I've done some trips with some older guys on DRZ's, BMW 700, a guy on a new BMW 310 and a Versys 300x, they all left me eating dust.

I asked the wife this morning what she thought about me getting a new bike, and she had no problem, so that's good

I'm looking at a BMW f800 GSA, Yamaha Super Tenere, or the Honda Africa Twin. Leaning toward the Tenere right now.

I considered keeping it just to kick around, but I really don't have room.

Oh well.

Old 05-11-2018, 02:01 PM   #2

What are the details and how much are you asking ?

Old 05-11-2018, 02:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloman View Post
What are the details and how much are you asking ?
I haven't thought about price yet. Although I may just let my wife try to sell it, she's under the impression I can get what I paid for it

As far as details:

2017 RX3, the fast orange color, has 1500 miles.

Added:
Skid plate
Center Stand
LED headlight
Headlight grill
Billet covers for brakes
Rox Bar riser
Off road foot pegs
Sheepskin/Gel seat pad
(Just ordered the Seat Concepts seat yesterday) Can you tell I'm impulsive???
Tourafella Panniers and Top Box
A box of spares (oil filters, brake and clutch lines, spare levers, mirror.

It's been down a few times, nothing major, some scratches on the crash bars and a few dents in the panniers, (Gives it street cred)

First oil change was at 500 miles, getting ready to do it again this weekend. Also need to check the valves.

Old 05-12-2018, 04:47 AM   #4

Good luck with the sale, mine's been for sale since beginning of February.

I have been offered $1,500 for it.

2007 Suzuki Burgman 400
2016 Zongshen CSC Cyclone RX3
2008 Arctic Cat 700 trv

Old 05-12-2018, 11:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheycallmeD View Post
Good luck with the sale, mine's been for sale since beginning of February.

I have been offered $1,500 for it.

That sucks, but I guess it's not to be unexpected.

Maybe I'll end up donating it like Joe did.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:50 PM   #6

I got $2500 for mine when it was a year old.

Old 05-13-2018, 10:15 PM   #7

Hang in there... the right buyer will come along. Don’t let the low offers put you off... folks are always looking for a deal.

Old 05-14-2018, 01:30 AM   #8

Rode a few bikes and ended up with a Honda Africa twin. I pick it up Tuesday.

Old 05-14-2018, 04:21 AM   #9

Congrats on the new bike. Are you going to keep the RX3, or is still for sale?

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 05-14-2018, 08:29 AM   #10

Thanks

It will probably go up for sale soon(According to the wife)

I really don't have room for it here, I've thought about keeping it outside under a cover just to have around, but I'll probably put it up for sale, set a minimum price and see what happens. If no sale, then donate it or give it to my son in Florida, it would probably do fine for him there in the flatlands, and he's 1/2 my weight

Old 05-16-2018, 11:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjeff35 View Post
Rode a few bikes and ended up with a Honda Africa twin. I pick it up Tuesday.
That's a lot of bike but nice for sure. Don't get carried away with the competition in group ride scenarios . It's hard to resist but lots of times I have probably rode out of my comfort zone.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 05-17-2018, 07:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
That's a lot of bike but nice for sure. Don't get carried away with the competition in group ride scenarios . It's hard to resist but lots of times I have probably rode out of my comfort zone.

That's a good point. I ride with some guys that have been riding longer than I've been alive!

I learned pretty quickly to NOT try and keep up.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjeff35 View Post
That's a good point. I ride with some guys that have been riding longer than I've been alive!

I learned pretty quickly to NOT try and keep up.
Group rides and terrain...I also learned to get on the brakes FAST too. That a.t. weighs around 530? I think. My suzuki vstrom 650 (74 hp) is at 500lbs but yours is much more capable. You will really enjoy it. I think yours is at 95hp , watch-a-lay amigo. That rear aux fuel tank on the left rear is a really cool add on (directlyplumbed to the main fuel system, check it out) I saw some bad ass bikes out in the big bend.

There's no excuse for you not to tackle the https://ridebdr.com/NMBDR
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 05-18-2018, 09:47 PM   #14

With all due respect, you guys need to learn to ride. I've seen an indicated 90+mph on my RX3. Down hill, tailwind, and I weigh about 218.

Back in my younger and dumber days I was radared and stopped in Georgia on a TW200 doing 84mph. Stock other than main jet and final drive. I weighed 285 then. Fortunately, the LEO had a TW of his own and said he would have felt guilty writing that ticket. Said anyone who could get 84mph out of a stock TW engine knows how to ride that fast safely. Oh, tailwind, downhill, right behind a semi truck. That was about 3/4 of the way through a SS1000.

Passed all the folks who didn't wait for me on I10 on the same TW, hanging on some mudflaps. Easily tooling along about 80mph. Talk about priceless looks on riders' faces.

Just have to learn to prep a bike for a specific challenge and master a few advanced riding techniques. There's more to making speed than just twisting a throttle.

Did you know that at speed in heavy traffic the apparent wind is more dependent on the traffic than on the atmospheric conditions? Tooling along about 70mph on the same TW amongst traffic, half the cars turned off to I35E, and speed immediately dropped to about 60--not enough cars to keep the wind heading north at ground level. Also had a bunch of cars merge 5 lanes into 4 at 70mph, and tooling along in the 2nd lane that old TW jumped from about 55 to about 70 because more cars were enough to push the ground level air masses the direction we were going.

Pay attention--it isn't that hard to figure out what air will do with changes in traffic. Take advantage of air patterns and grade. Makes a big difference sometimes.

Old 05-19-2018, 05:15 AM   #15

There's definitely something to be said that its more about the rider than the bike - I've seen folks on small bikes beat the piss out of lesser riders on big bikes more times than I can count.

I sadly have fallen into the same camp wit the RX3 as well and it will go up for sale. After truly testing the machine on the MABDR, I've come to the conclusion that there is too much 'wrong' with the bike to make it a true off-road ADV machine when it comes to my riding style and the ergonomics I need on a machine to make it fit my purpose.

Height is number one - can't put the tires on I need as it lifts up the bike too high and I won't sacrifice the already poor suspension with a lowering link. The stock tires continually washed out in muddy or loose gravel situations making hairpins off-road downright terrifying.

Gearing is next - in low speed situations, even with going down one tooth on the front sprocket, the bike does not have enough testicular fortitude to get me through tough spots (left me stranded when it stalled in a rocky deep stream crossing).

Ergonomics - the bike does not have ergos that meet the requirements of my body dimensions. Pegs too far back and bars to far forward (not enough cable length for me to get the proper body position (I'd need 2"). My back was continually arched and painful when standing on the pegs off-road.

Suspension - while the suspension did 'break in' somewhat on the 2300+ mile MABDR journey - it still beat me up and left me feeling like someone took a baseball bat to me at the end of each day off-road. My XT250 has been on similar trips and has never done that to me once.

Despite what I've mentioned previously, this bike is not all bad - just not ideal for the purpose I purchased it for. The one place where it did impress me was handling on the road, given its anemic power level, the bike handles beautifully on the tar - my ride back home from the end of the MABDR was mostly twisty tar and the RX3 cut it up very nicely. And, it withstood a 50 mph deer strike without damage - thank you engine guards! The flickability, comfort level, windscreen coverage, and Seat Comcepts seat, along with charging ports, and ample pannier storage makes this bike a great little commuter and for those seeking a bike for that purpose, it remains an excellent value.

I've put a lot into the bike already - most of which I will lose every penny of and more due to the low resale on these machines - but I knew that going in. I've learned much from my two year experiment with Rex and appreciate the great level of customer service along the way from CSC and the phenomenal inputs from my friends on this forum and others for the RX3. I hope to find him a new owner soon who will enjoy him for the purpose he is best suited for.
IBA#65836

2005 BMW F650gs
2008 Yamaha XT250
2013 Yamaha XT250
2009 Suzuki Gladius