Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2017, 01:58 PM   #1

Pushing skills and bike to the limit: Wobble turning at high speeds

Hello all,
This last memorial day weekend I popped my group ADV ride cherry. These guys were leagues beyond my abilities on BMW's and KTM's but I managed to go places I would have never tried on my own. Going over gravel, ruts, rocks, up and downhill the RX3 with stock road biased tires helped me survive the day unscathed except for a few rattled nerves. If not for my expert rider training(on paved) I would've definitely wiped out though.
One thing I noticed about the RX3 is that I get a wobble on steady high speed turns (55-65ish) is this normal?

As a side note, be careful when group riding. Group riding pressure will get to you. Take it easy and ride within your abilities.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogirob View Post
Hello all,
This last memorial day weekend I popped my group ADV ride cherry. These guys were leagues beyond my abilities on BMW's and KTM's but I managed to go places I would have never tried on my own. Going over gravel, ruts, rocks, up and downhill the RX3 with stock road biased tires helped me survive the day unscathed except for a few rattled nerves. If not for my expert rider training(on paved) I would've definitely wiped out though.
One thing I noticed about the RX3 is that I get a wobble on steady high speed turns (55-65ish) is this normal?

As a side note, be careful when group riding. Group riding pressure will get to you. Take it easy and ride within your abilities.
Glad to hear it all went well and you had a great time.
From another Sac area guy, where did you go?

I've not had any wobble issues on either of my RX3's....not that I push them real hard but I have done corners at those speeds.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 06-06-2017, 05:07 PM   #3

I used mine mostly for commuting until last month with half the trip being freeway, and I had a wobble one time, but that was corrected when I brought the tire pressure back up to where it should be. I was lax in checking it for a while and it had dropped to about 28 psi on the front.

I have occasionally had a *weave* start at speeds above 65 which is instantly resolved by getting my elbows out and relaxing my grip on the bars, rider induced "wobble".

Old 06-06-2017, 06:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Glad to hear it all went well and you had a great time.
From another Sac area guy, where did you go?

I've not had any wobble issues on either of my RX3's....not that I push them real hard but I have done corners at those speeds.
Here you go: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18773508 It's a good route because it avoids freeways. There are a few 65mph sections. Lots of twisties, and blind curves. My favorite spot has been Latrobe Rd near Deer Creek Preserve. I was thinking about redoing this route on my own terms at a lax pace so I can enjoy it better.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogirob View Post
Here you go: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18773508 It's a good route because it avoids freeways. There are a few 65mph sections. Lots of twisties, and blind curves. My favorite spot has been Latrobe Rd near Deer Creek Preserve. I was thinking about redoing this route on my own terms at a lax pace so I can enjoy it better.
Ha ha! You were in my neck of the wood when you hit Fiddletown. I ride that area all the time. It's my backyard.

I know what you mean about Latrobe. When I worked at Hazel and 50, I'd take Latrobe twice a day. It was a ton of fun. I called it "The Latrobe Road Course and Grand Prix Challenge".

Your explanation is why I basically quit group riding. Now I just ride with Mrs. 2LZ. Not only was it usually a pace I didn't like but generally half the pack had riding habits I had to watch out for all day.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 06-07-2017, 11:58 AM   #6

I would guess the green stuff means forestry. Speaking of green stuff I just remembered that I'm using Slime in my tubes. I'm pretty sure that's what's causing an imbalance that's multiplied when I'm leaned over.

I heart Latrobe Rd. There are a few shaded spots with trees where I can have a picnic under and not be bothered by a single soul. It's sad that that's where adventuring has whittled down too with everything being fenced off and private property...around here at least.

What I wouldn't give to date a girl that ADV rides. I've tried getting this Rosie girl to marry me but she won't respond to my YouTube comments lol https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgE...9muwYabeOaF3OA

Last edited by jogirob; 06-07-2017 at 05:04 PM.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:29 PM   #7

Rosie would be a great catch! [ATTACH]at 11:30[/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1243.jpg (11.0 KB, 748 views)

Old 06-07-2017, 04:56 AM   #8

hell whats all that green area? on the map..
roads/tracks everywhere.... yer never get me out of the place
if I lived near it....

and I know what yer mean about group rides... you seem to
end up riding some ealse ride...

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 07-23-2017, 12:11 PM   #9

I have the stock tires and when I get out on HWY 88 by our house, the traffic is RIPPIN' coming down the hill from Tahoe on a Sunday. 75 was a bit unnerving weaving that fast on a twisty two lane mountain highway, but it beat getting run over. I just have to remind myself, "It's just a 250". If I want to hold 75 all day, I'll take the heavy bike. I try to keep the RX3 on the back roads.....under 70. Very comfy and stable then.

2009 Q Link XP 200