Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2016, 11:20 PM   #1

Storm 250 sprocket question

Well, I've put almost 100 miles on the Storm and love it!! It didn't take long though to notice the gearing (especially 1st gear) is too high of a ratio for comfortable street riding. I checked my bike tonight and the factory gearing is 17 tooth countersprocket combined with a 46 tooth rear sprocket.

Others on this forum have stated this sprocket is a direct bolt-on but I wanted to check as my current sprocket has only 4 holes while the suggested sprocket has six holes.

Here's a pic of my current sprocket: Name:  IMG_20160425_213911.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  93.6 KB

As you can see there are 4 holes 90 degrees apart. I suspect two of the holes just wouldn't be used and just the 4 holes 90 degrees apart would line up with the factory hole locations. If anyone can weigh in on this I would appreciate your time.

I know there's a fine line between having enough of a gear ratio for comfortable off-road riding to maintain while being able to maintain speeds on the street without excessive engine rpms. I was thinking a reduction in teeth from 46 to 42 that would give 9.5% increase in speed is a reasonable compromise as I'll be street riding at least 60-70% of the time, thoughts?

Old 04-26-2016, 07:06 AM   #2

If you have a digital caliper check the distance on those bolts, should be 90mm apart (to the center of each bolt) for the JT269 sprocket. I just put a JT269 sprocket on my 'Bashan WILL' and all I did was measure with a $12 digital caliper

I personally went with a 39t sprocket, for a few reasons, main one being...

I got it from Amazon Prime shipped it for under $16 and I was on a 'budget' for 'upgrade parts' at the time

Top speed should now be over 80mph... if the little 197cc engine has enough torque to pull that gearing I don't know just yet... still waiting on carburetor jets and finish my exhaust install.

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhule View Post
If you have a digital caliper check the distance on those bolts, should be 90mm apart (to the center of each bolt) for the JT269 sprocket. I just put a JT269 sprocket on my 'Bashan WILL' and all I did was measure with a $12 digital caliper

I personally went with a 39t sprocket, for a few reasons, main one being...

I got it from Amazon Prime shipped it for under $16 and I was on a 'budget' for 'upgrade parts' at the time

Top speed should now be over 80mph... if the little 197cc engine has enough torque to pull that gearing I don't know just yet... still waiting on carburetor jets and finish my exhaust install.
Was your factory sprocket like mine in that it only has 4 holes?

I'll check the hole distances with my calipers.

Thanks for the info.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:45 AM   #4

Factory sprocket had 4 bolt holes and was a 56t for some reason...

4 bolts/holes 90mm apart, here is a pic of the JT269.39 (this sprocket has 8 holes) installed on the Mrs. Bashan WILL.

Check the distance, if it's 90mm decide from there how much extra 'HP/Torque/MPH' you think the Storm 250 has to offer. Rider weight, motorcycle performance/weight, altitude, and several other factors come into play when choosing sprockets/gearing... again, I picked the 39t because it was in my budget and after I'm done with this Bashan build, I figured it would have plenty of extra 'oomph' for the 17t front 39t rear 'highway gearing'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4581.jpg (85.4 KB, 410 views)

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Factory sprocket had 4 bolt holes and was a 56t for some reason...

4 bolts/holes 90mm apart, here is a pic of the JT269.39 (this sprocket has 8 holes) installed on the Mrs. Bashan WILL.

Check the distance, if it's 90mm decide from there how much extra 'HP/Torque/MPH' you think the Storm 250 has to offer. Rider weight, motorcycle performance/weight, altitude, and several other factors come into play when choosing sprockets/gearing... again, I picked the 39t because it was in my budget and after I'm done with this Bashan build, I figured it would have plenty of extra 'oomph' for the 17t front 39t rear 'highway gearing'
Thanks so much for the pic, looks like my situation is the same. I made a rough measurement with a tape measure right before I left my house this morning and found the distance to be 92mm when converted to metric. I'll make a more accurate measurement with my calipers later but I suspect it will come out to 90mm.

Unfortunately I want the best of both worlds but can't have it. I like the current gearing for off-road use but the current setup sucks for street use.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearthvader View Post
Thanks so much for the pic, looks like my situation is the same. I made a rough measurement with a tape measure right before I left my house this morning and found the distance to be 92mm when converted to metric. I'll make a more accurate measurement with my calipers later but I suspect it will come out to 90mm.

Unfortunately I want the best of both worlds but can't have it. I like the current gearing for off-road use but the current setup sucks for street use.
I have yet to buy a China Bike that wasn't geared to climb telephone poles. Too bad you can't squeeze in one more tooth on the front but it would probably hit.
As you already know, round figures, one tooth more on the front is worth about 4 teeth less on the rear. Four teeth less on the rear would be a nice compromise and I think you'll be surprised at how much nicer it will feel on the road without giving up too much on the trail.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 04-26-2016, 11:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
I have yet to buy a China Bike that wasn't geared to climb telephone poles. Too bad you can't squeeze in one more tooth on the front but it would probably hit.
As you already know, round figures, one tooth more on the front is worth about 4 teeth less on the rear. Four teeth less on the rear would be a nice compromise and I think you'll be surprised at how much nicer it will feel on the road without giving up too much on the trail.
I agree, the motor has plenty of low-end torque even without the mods I'm going to make including a vm26 carb with proper jetting, removal of cat. converter, a pod filter and a FMF II pipe.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:39 PM   #8

Thumbs Up great info for bashan storm/blaze bikes

azhule helped me with my chain/sprocket id .

i was directed to this thread so i thought i would bump it back out to let others know if they need info on their Bashans.

Thanks again Azhule

http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/sprocket/JTR269-43
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 06-19-2016, 09:32 PM   #9

Glad I was able to point you into the right direction on your sprocket size, 90mm 4 bolt pattern seems to show up a lot on our favorite brand of motorcycles

Hope the 43t works for you, I know when the 39t starts to fail I will slap on the 43t and be 'done'. The 39t is extreme, our 197cc barely has enough oomph* to run that gearing (17t front), and I only weigh 120lbs

*Bike runs ok but needed to be modded to run the 17t/39t sprockets (intake, exhaust, carb tuning out the yin yang...), with the 39t, 5th gear is now like having a 6th or maybe I jumped up to having a 7th gear in it's place , anyone else able to go just shy of 50 fully wrung out in 3rd... no?.. it's only me?

Old 06-19-2016, 09:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Glad I was able to point you into the right direction on your sprocket size, 90mm 4 bolt pattern seems to show up a lot on our favorite brand of motorcycles

Hope the 43t works for you, I know when the 39t starts to fail I will slap on the 43t and be 'done'. The 39t is extreme, our 197cc barely has enough oomph* to run that gearing (17t front), and I only weigh 120lbs

*Bike runs ok but needed to be modded to run the 17t/39t sprockets (intake, exhaust, carb tuning out the yin yang...), with the 39t, 5th gear is now like having a 6th or maybe I jumped up to having a 7th gear in it's place , anyone else able to go just shy of 50 fully wrung out in 3rd... no?.. it's only me?
SO... what's YOUR wot speed in fifth gear, i know you been poking around with the cat removal and did the carb jets. what's the top speed? or maybe you can't divulge that info for fear of getting in trouble with mrs az.

this ought to be good
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 06-19-2016, 11:49 PM   #11

On most rides so far I can get it up to 60 sometimes 65 easily, top speed is 'unobtainable' in my tests thus far (damn you wind! can't you push me for once!) but I have nudged 70 once before and I still had plenty of RPMs left for more speed... just no extra oomph/power/torque to go faster or maintain that speed for that long... altitude, hills, wind, physics, still working on the tune, etc. is all holding me back a little bit ...

But I can cruise at 60 all day long with no problems

Old 08-09-2022, 09:03 AM   #12

Original off center

How did you alighn the chain being that the original sproket is off center to the left, the new sproket would put the chain in the center and the slider would be off.

Old 08-20-2022, 08:04 AM   #13

Sprocket change

The sprocket mod works good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20220819-200807_Video Player.jpg (243.0 KB, 84 views)

Old 08-20-2022, 09:13 AM   #14

Bashan Storm is a great bike. Priced about the same as a TBR7, and way better build quality (we got a lemon TBR7-sold it).

JTR 279 and JTR 269 sprockets have the same measurements.
http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/part/JTR269/
http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/part/JTR279/

I got a JTR 279-35 for my Storm, with a 520 chain upgrade:

https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=30749
I modified washers to fit the sprocket, but it works fine. I actually dropped the gearing by about 7% for better offroad duty.

My son has inherited the Storm, complete with Tusk DSport rear tire and Shinko 524 knobby on the front. He likes it geared down too. It is easier to ride slowly in technically challenging situations. Those tires help a lot!!

I also changed the fork oil for Motul 15W. That really improved the front end. Stopped it from bottoming out all the time!