Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2014, 08:00 AM   #1

Thanks for having me

Ordering electrical parts today, found a link here and joined. My interest is primarily in electrical and electronics.

Repowering a CT90 with a 125cc clone engine back in 2002 caused me to publish the wiring diagram drawn for that project. Have illustrated and drawn over a thousand moto-related articles and wiring diagrams. My works are scattered across several forums and on my website.

Will be looking for places to jump in and help, and always here to learn.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:49 AM   #2

Welcome! Thanks for joining us.

I wish I had your skills. I'd love to be able to create wiring diagrams that could be published.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-03-2014, 11:44 AM   #3

Inventor Pardue is the electrical guru on several of the groups I belong to. He knows his stuff and will be an asset to anyone with an electrical problem.

Old 10-03-2014, 03:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Welcome! Thanks for joining us.

I wish I had your skills. I'd love to be able to create wiring diagrams that could be published.
This is an interesting forum with people from all the world here. Honored you find my skills handy, sure do appreciate the nice welcome. Lots to learn here!

Old 10-03-2014, 03:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
Inventor Pardue is the electrical guru on several of the groups I belong to. He knows his stuff and will be an asset to anyone with an electrical problem.
Thank you for the fine compliment, a man earns his reputation and it is amazing and flattering to be recognized as an asset.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:13 AM   #6

You repowered a CT90 with a 125 clone in 2002? I'm surprised. I never saw a 125 clone until around 2008. Do you have pics?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-04-2014, 11:14 AM   #7

Do you have a link to your website. I know my first major electrical project will be changing over my headlight and taillight to LED at some point on my TMEC

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 10-04-2014, 11:54 AM   #8

Zongshen clone into K5 CT90

Quote:
You repowered a CT90 with a 125 clone in 2002? I'm surprised. I never saw a 125 clone until around 2008. Do you have pics?
Yes Sir, a few pictures exist from back then. Posted the first one.

History on this bike, when you want to do some reading:

My brother Ralph obtained an ignored CT90 K5 from a fellow Navy petty officer in the late 90's. It had not run in years. He worked on the stock Honda engine, and it just never would run good at higher RPM's. I worked on it as well, and got it better, but never really right. While investigating the cost of total rebuild, he discovered a Zongshen engine on Ebay that was touted to bolt into a CT70 for a few hundred dollars.

He figured CT70.... how much different could a CT90 be?

He decided to take the leap and buy it. He has extensive experience doing mechanical and electrical work, enabling fabrication. The engine had no wiring, no carb, no CDI, no coil, no clutch cable, and no intake. It had a spark plug and an oil filler cap.

What you now recognize as a 5-wire male CDI plug with female terminals, emanated from the sidecover, along with a few other loose wires.

Ralph did a great job fitting the engine into the CT90. He fabbed and welded a nice solid metal engine plate, bent and welded the stock CT90 exhaust to mate the Zongshen's port. There was no one else online with any real knowledge of these engines. Ralph did all of the original mechanical installation and took the wiring as far as possible.

The CT90 had the optional left-hand rear brake, so it was possible to mount a clutch lever. Carb plumbing was handled with a three position valve to get a single fuel line to the carburetor.

When it came time to start the engine, the first time Ralph switched the key on he got a whiff of "burned electrics" scent. No spark. He got the lights and horn working, having converted the whole bike all 12 Volts bulbs, blinkers, battery, and horn.

This is where I came in. The engine wiring was impossible to sort out by a normal person. No data was available. This is the kind of project I thrive on. A few hours into it, having replaced the CDI, ignition coil, and adding a kill switch reversing relay, it started right up.

On arriving home I drew the stock CT90 wiring diagram, then erased the CT90 engine and electrics, then drew in the Zongshen electrics. Some years later we found the honda_clone group and I shared the wiring information. People started writing from all over.

Ralph gave me the CT90 in 2006 or 7. I have used it to develop electrical parts and as a test mule. Its never been the prettiest bike, just functional. It deserves a full restoration, however it is mechanically and cosmetically about like it was when he finished it. It needs a new downtube cover. I have another fuel tank for it, but that means the bike needs painting. Been collecting parts to give it a new life.

Posted the oldest photo I have of the Pardue Brothers CT90. The Zongshen engine lacks visible markings that declare the brand.

Jon

Old 10-04-2014, 12:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Do you have a link to your website. I know my first major electrical project will be changing over my headlight and taillight to LED at some point on my TMEC
Our website is www.parduebrothers.com

Jon

Old 10-04-2014, 12:48 PM   #10

Welcome; we are glad you joined us.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-04-2014, 12:52 PM   #11

I hope you are familiar with EFI systems, particularly Delphi EFI systems. If so, please do join us on the Zongshen RX3 (ZS250GY-3) thread.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-04-2014, 02:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
I hope you are familiar with EFI systems, particularly Delphi EFI systems. If so, please do join us on the Zongshen RX3 (ZS250GY-3) thread.
Peeking at the Zongshen RX3 threads, that bike has a nice power train.

Watched a video, sounds like it has lots of torque. Nice! Will watch for topics where I can chime in, lot of learning to do for a while.

Thanks for the welcome!

Jon

Old 10-04-2014, 08:44 PM   #13

Thanks for the great story, Jon. Does Ralph have any interest in joining our forum as well?

Old 10-04-2014, 09:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Thanks for the great story, Jon. Does Ralph have any interest in joining our forum as well?
Ralph follows some of my posts, but he certainly is very active and busy these days with his new Hobart IronMan 230 with aluminum spoolgun. We talk every week, so I will soon be showing him the RX3 and the ChinaRiders forum. Kind of you to ask!

By the way, is there a member of the group who uses a multimeter often? Perhaps for Volt and Amp tests? I designed new meter probe connecting blocks for my test bench, and like them so much its become our next new product. I have a pre-production set and want to gather opinions. Its a no-cost deal as long as I get feedback, some kind of evaluation report.

Certainly willing to repost this elsewhere in a more appropriate section.

Jon

Old 10-05-2014, 12:34 PM   #15

I'd love to try a spoolgun, but I don't have enough need to weld aluminum to justify one. My buddy has an awesome TIG, so he welds any aluminum I need. My Miller MIG handles everything else.

I use a multimeter daily at work, but normally only for voltage and continuity, not current draw.

Feel free to post about your new product in the Off Topic / General Discussion area.