Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2006, 02:00 AM   #1

New to China Riders! Would like your input.

Hello all.

New to the whole china bike thing but have been reading up on things last few weeks. I am looking to purchase either an enduro type or maby possible a street model (sport type) within the next few months.
Just want to do summore research before jumping in and this seems like the best place. I havent riden in many years and don't have the budget to drop a ton of money on a bike. I woud be primarily using it fer commuting to work. Probably shouldnt call it a commute since I work bout a mile from where I live but anyway. My main concern is reliability an how hard it would be to title and register one of there guys. I live in a small town called Crossville , TN and see MANY vehicles runnin round that look as if held together with JB weld so couldnt see it bein hard but mebbe you could warn me of any potential problems. Would love to but from a dealed but none anywhere close to me. Also cant decide between the enduro type and the Sport bike type. I like the idea of being able to go off road but seems like the sport may be a little faster than the enduro.

Would love any recommendations or input.....Thanks in advance

Old 12-20-2006, 02:33 AM   #2

i'll be purchaseing a enduro from dirtcheapmotorsports tomorrow. they have the enduro's on sale right now. i'm in the same boat as you. i think that you will just have to try to tittle it to see actually how hard it is. dirtcheapmotorsports also offers a one year warranty wich is the main reason why i'm buying from him. good luck on your purchase. i'll be posting allot of info about mine in the near future incase you care to follow.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:26 AM   #3

Re: New to China Riders! Would like your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonr2210
I like the idea of being able to go off road but seems like the sport may be a little faster than the enduro.
You want faster to travel 1 mile... hehehehe, just messin with ya. Actually you can change gearing and improve top speed on most enduro bikes if you are planning to be on-road more than off.

Are you mechanically inclined? if not then you really should find a dealer - even if you need to go 2 hours to get it. If you're not used to working on bikes the 4 hours driving isn't really much more than you might spend on assembly anyway.... and a dealer should be able to get the titlework done.
'02 Kawasaki KX125

Old 12-20-2006, 08:40 AM   #4

For sports bikes, the Zongshen 250cc looks higher quality than the Lifan-based 200cc sports bikes sold by several companies.

I would second the advice of buying from a dealer--that is if the dealer is reputable and knows their stuff...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 12-20-2006, 09:31 AM   #5

Getting titled was no problem with my Roketa DB-07A here in SC. Make sure you get an official MSO from the manufacturer. And Progressive was the best I found for insurance.

Best of luck,
Jason
1995 Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000)

Old 12-20-2006, 11:14 AM   #6

I considered the sportbike styled bikes before I got my enduro. Advantages to the Enduro 1) Seem to run about $500+ less than the sportbike 2) More versatile if you must have sporty handling put street tires on it and make a Super Motard out of your DS 3) Chicks dig the Marboro man look LOL

Mechanically the two are very similar. The Zongshen 250 is awesome but if your on the same Non-existant budget I was it may be too much $$
The JetMoto Alpine was $1100 delivered and there are many other fine bikes in the same range. Good Luck.

Aaron

2008 Fly-Scooters La Vie
www.scootdawg.proboards59.com

Old 12-20-2006, 05:20 PM   #7

I've got an '01 SV650S. WTF do I need a 200cc Chinese sport bike for?

Really, though, the fun of the DP stuff off road is what I like about 'em. The fact that they'll go on road is just a bonus. However, I have regeared mine. It'll cruise about 60 now. Could up the countershaft sprocket for a little more, but I'm afraid any taller and I'll compromise off road ability, so I'm happy with what I've got now. It was WAY low geared when I got it. I dropped ten teeth off the rear sprocket. Before, absolute top speed was about 50 mph.

Old 12-21-2006, 12:07 AM   #8

Speed limit around my whole litle chunk of heaven is 45mph but I wouldn't want to scream the engine all the time to cruise at that speed so would definitly have to re-gear. Plus I'm about 265 lbs so that wont help. I like the look of these bikes but worried I'm to much of a fatass to ride on of em' Thats my concern also bout the 200cc sport ones as well. Fraid I might look like donkey kong on a mini bike. Went to a local Kawi dealer to look round today and salesman asked what other motos I had been looking at and when I mentioned these he gave me a funny look and just kinda shook his head. Then proceded to try to talk me into a 600cc Suzuki. lol gotta give him credit fer tryin. Also noticed once I mentioned a budget of no more than 2 grand he kinda blew me off. Not enuf comission I guess

Old 12-21-2006, 12:28 PM   #9

Your not to big for these bikes. We just got two vivas and my partner weighs 270 and I weigh245 and we both look fine on the bikes. I love mine, we are waiting on 45 tooth sprockets to arrive so we don't wind them up so but here on the big island the fastest speed limit is 55.

Old 12-21-2006, 02:41 PM   #10

Jason I'm the same size as you and the JetMoto handles me fine. They come with a 56 tooth rear and subsequently 48 is about it out of the box. Given you speed requirements a 42 or 44 should be fine. 44 may be better given your size and low speed requirement. Then you'll have a little extra grunt for the trails.

2008 Fly-Scooters La Vie
www.scootdawg.proboards59.com

Old 12-22-2006, 12:11 AM   #11

Ok im gonna bug ya'll once more...lol... 2 questions actually

1. Of the models most have here i'm sure i'll get a varied response but here goes. Which brand is better or are they pretty much the same.
I mean between roketa and lifan and whichever other brand is priced similarly.

2. I know its not alwaws cool to post about specific websites or sellers but since there are no dealers real close and I have no way to haul one so it's probably gonna have to be shipped, with the moderators consent, which company has anyone here dealt with that has had a bike shipped to them and who would you recommend. I have heard nightmares of people buying from some ebayers and never being able to register their bike cause they cant get a correct MSO. I'm not anal but want to make sure the transaction goes smooth as possible. I know that these are inexpensive bikes but fer someone on a shostring buget that will be needing something fairly reliable to get around town I can't afford to get burned.

Old 12-22-2006, 12:20 AM   #12

actually found this website that has quite a few things to chose from but they got some wierd stuf too. Mainly zongshen stuff but others as well. I like the looks of the zongshen 250 and doesn't seem to bad at $2095 and a Zongshen enduro for $1495 ish.

http://www.usawholesalescooters.com/

Old 12-22-2006, 01:20 AM   #13

I ordered a Lifan from T-motorsports this year and have been quite pleased with it. T-motorsports was good to deal with. But when I ordered I was under the mistaken impression (my own fault for not thoroughly researching) that the standard 6 month warranty from American Lifan would apply to the bike. I later found out that it only applies if you buy from an authorized Lifan dealership. T-motorsports only has a 30 day parts-only warranty which starts when they receive your order. And their warranty DOES NOT COVER THE ENGINE, along with some other things. Fortunately for me, the bike has been a good one, but had I known then what I know now I would have been scared off by the almost nonexistent warranty coverage provided by T-motorsports.

Old 12-22-2006, 09:31 AM   #14

I believe there are dealers in Nashville which is about 2 hours away according to mapquest. You could always rent a small truck for the day.

How long are you expecting the assembly to take you? (I'm only asking because I don't know how familiar you are with motorcycle repair/assembly stuff.... for me I prefer to do it myself because I know what was done, but if I wasn't comfortable doing it I certainly would seek out a dealer.)

For a street licensed bike I would probably avoid ebay just because of the higher chance the paperwork wouldn't be filled out properly --- for a pure dirt bike I wouldn't care... but nothing worse than getting a nice new bike and not being able to get it on the road (for possibly 2 months or more.)
'02 Kawasaki KX125

Old 12-22-2006, 06:39 PM   #15

I'm comfortable doing the assembly. I comfortable turnin a wrench. Yea noticed that none of the warranties apply if you assemble em yourself. Someone said xxx motorsports was ok cause fer like 40 extra they will do the mso stuff for ya. But none that ive found carry more than a 30 day warranty unless from a dealer.