Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > News, Support, & Feedback
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2007, 09:53 PM   #1

Web site expansion...

The focus and domain name of this site would be great if it was also geared towards people who ride in China. Many foreigners here ride Chinese bikes and scooters and even though moto-repair shops are more convenient here, finding/sharing information or opinions in English is almost impossible.

Anyway, I feel it would add a harmonious but very deep contrast to the site that everyone can learn from. Please forgive my bluntness but I call it like I see it. Some work has been done here to collect and share very good information about these bikes and if more people knew about it, I think it could be a good thing.

a couple suggestions:
-New title bar/image - I know it's only looks but maybe there could be a contest where members submit candidates for the title image. Admin selects top 5 and posts a poll. Member votes determine winner.

-Editing the html source - This page has no title, keywords or description that would make it visible to search engines. Of these, the most important is the title which shows up in the very top of the browser window. These are searched and indexed pretty heavily by search bots.

CrazyC

Old 05-14-2007, 12:35 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to jkomp316
I'll start things off with a

Whatcha think? Its a start, the Chinese writing is supposed to translate to ChinaRiders. I would also like a ChinaRiders.net sticker for my bike. We should all get together and design one. I'd proudly ride it around my town.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:44 AM   #3

Whats up with that...

The chinese flag makes sense... but why is there always an american flag? This site is run by a canadian eh

Old 05-14-2007, 01:09 AM   #4

haha, ok how about this? I'll shrink the :twisted: American Flag

It would be nice to intergrate all the flags these are ridden under. Im assuming we can only communicate via english though...

Old 05-14-2007, 03:49 AM   #5

Just talkin' out me-arse... how about no flags at all? They're such nationalist things.

Is there a statement someone would want to make that describes a more philosophical aspect of the group? Or perhaps the flags are a philosophical statement. Hmmm....

How about something along this lines. Maybe blend in some of the groups favorite shots in the bottom left, or something like that. Could even add a nice flag mosaic.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:49 PM   #6

Yes, I like the dirt background much better. I was just throwing out some quick Ideas. If I have some time tonight I'll whip up a couple more. Maybe someone has a big group shot somewhere? With a bunch of China bikes lined up?

Old 05-14-2007, 10:49 PM   #7

Well before anyone gets too excited, let's not forget the board admin needs to agree with it!

It takes a lot of time and energy to run a BBS so we should probably wait until he endorses the idea or not. If so, then make it an official contest and start a separate thread. A sticker/logo design thread could be fun too. How about a photo contest/calendar? Just some thoughts...

CC

Old 05-15-2007, 11:19 AM   #8

Quote:
a couple suggestions:
-New title bar/image - I know it's only looks but maybe there could be a contest where members submit candidates for the title image. Admin selects top 5 and posts a poll. Member votes determine winner.
Wow. You've been registered for a couple of days and you want to change the logo and expand the site. I thnk that's a record. 8O

Quote:
-Editing the html source - This page has no title, keywords or description that would make it visible to search engines. Of these, the most important is the title which shows up in the very top of the browser window. These are searched and indexed pretty heavily by search bots.
I'm not sure what page your're looking at but there is a title, there are keywords, and there is a description. The google page rank of chinariders.net is low, but frankly increasing is not a high priority. With huge hits come huge bandwidth requirements (read: extra costs). Site usage has been growing at a steady, manageable pace. This is a good thing.

This site was created to provide an English language resource for people who ride and maintain Chinese-made motorcycles/atv/scooters. I'd be more than happy to add a new discussion forum dedicated to riders in China but expanding the site to cater specifically to that demographic is not in the cards.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 05-15-2007, 12:12 PM   #9

In regards to page source, I checked again and you're right there are meta tags. When I posted the message I checked the Page Source and I didn't see one. Maybe I sourced out the wrong page. That's my fault.

I know it may seem strange to have some new-comer step in and start throwing ideas around, especially ones that involve you and your time. There's no gun to anyone's head to accept any ideas but this market you're in is looking to change fast so be prepared for a growing international community. On one hand we can be excited about possible change or on the other think it's a bunch of trouble. If the site really does get that large and people really dig it, you know you'll get help - probably not from everyone, but enough to make it happen.

This is the suggestions area right? Should I have to wait a certain amount of time? Didn't see anything about that in the FAQ. I've seen enough in my life to know that I don't do fluff and excessive protocol. Maybe I've spent too much time on the road but I like it. I know being blunt rubs some people the wrong way but that's how I am and wouldn't have it any other way.

I must be thinking the word "expand" means something else. The fact that this is site provides an English language resource for Chinese made motorcycle riders is a wonderful thing and caters to a very interesting and special community! I don't want to commander anyone's "cards" as my hand is already over-full. I don't believe at anytime I suggested catering to any certain "demographic." I suggested that Chinese motorcycle riding English speaking people on both sides of the world share similar experiences and could learn something from each other..not only about motorcycles but about culture, land, people and life. I hope the idea isn't too unreasonable.

"Make no mistake, I am what you make me."
CrazyCarl

P.S. Want another crazy idea! How about hooking up with a Chinese motorcycle web touring club (one in China where everyone speaks Chinese) then having a group ride together! You'd have the time of your life, see amazing countryside, eat great food and maybe even be sponsored with bikes! Might not be for everyone, but somebody may like it!

Old 05-15-2007, 12:32 PM   #10

Quote:
This is the suggestions area right? Should I have to wait a certain amount of time? Didn't see anything about that in the FAQ. I've seen enough in my life to know that I don't do fluff and excessive protocol. Maybe I've spent too much time on the road but I like it. I know being blunt rubs some people the wrong way but that's how I am and wouldn't have it any other way.
This is definitely the suggestion area, and all are considered. However common sense would dictate that suggesting site changes on your 3rd post is a bit presumptious. There isn't anything regarding this in the FAQ but perhaps a common sense section should be added.

As far as being blunt. No problems here, but it goes both ways.

Think of it like this:

A new guy is hired at your place of employment. His first day on the job he start suggesting changes before he even understands why things are done they way they are. Some of his points may be valid but he hasn't earned the 'credibility' or trust of his peers yet for his ideas to be taken serously.

I hope you stay around as I'm sure you have much to contribute. Give a little and you'll get a little.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 05-15-2007, 10:50 PM   #11

I like things the way they are

And as far as I understood, meta-tags no longer really affect a websites listing in search engines

Old 05-15-2007, 11:28 PM   #12

I like this site just the way it is, China bikes will get bigger, come find us...

Old 05-15-2007, 11:40 PM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to TheOtherRide
We all found it...and Thank God this site is still small enough that we know people, and growing slowly but surely so we give a sincere welcome to newbies.

Awwww, group hug!

Old 05-16-2007, 01:48 AM   #14

Most important things is that everyone is happy. Many motorcycle group BBS's have risen and fallen and the level of it's success depends largely on it's ability to constantly acquire new members, then create and develop a sucesfully evolving sense of community. Time is much more valuable than money and once you spend it, you can't get it back. As a moderator and, in essence, leader of a community what you don't do is just as visible as what you do. Heavy is the head who wears the cool boy crown.

Since all ideas are considered, how about some feedback on the previous ones posted? Other users, who I presume have been here longer than I, showed interest and added their own ideas yet, there followed little discussion and even less consideration from "high-up."

In case we have forgotten let's re-list it:

- New Title Bar: Maybe a contest? Members can contribute to the site? Could even be a rotating title bar? Why? Because the advertising banner is bigger and more prominent than the title bar. Then again, maybe most people really couldn't care less. I'm sure if I look a it after maybe 60-70 more posts, the banner will seem smaller.

- ChinaRider.net stickers: Not my idea but a good one that deserves attention. Group design! Pride! Unity! Could be anything. Maybe solicit other members for other ideas.

- Joint ChinaRiders and China riders (Chinese people in China) tour: Crazy as it may seem and not for everyone, yes it is actually possible. Dare we imagine?

Waiting for official feedback to learn more about the community.

CrazyCarl (note the Crazy!)

Old 05-16-2007, 01:56 AM   #15

new title bar, i dont see how this affects anything really? the current one is fine...

stickers, click on swag, there is stickers... though there could be more I suppose...

group ride, I dont see this working... sure the internet has sort of made the world a smaller place... sort of... not physicaly though, and the people here are from all over the place, a group ride would be very expensive and time consuming.... And I really dont see it having anything to do with this website

Thats my feedback, but it is really not too valid, because Frostbite is the bossman (thanks for the site by the way )