Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2016, 11:41 AM   #1

ADV bikes are popular!

I just had to make an unfortunate last minute trip from Mississippi to Santa Barbara California. I took my Jeep, due to the circumstances, and the need to rush, not because I wanted to get 18mpg.

I saw more ADV bikes on this trip than I have ever seen on the roads, on all my travels, combined. Surprisingly, most popluar were KTM's, followed by GS's second, KLR's next, few VStroms. I didn't, and didn't expect to see any RX3's. As I had plenty of time to think, I did think that IF I had to make this run, and time was of the essence, I'd have preferred my (sadly sold) 1250 Bandit, as it just started to stretch it's legs around 85 mph. All day comfy, crazy power to spare, and smooth. Only when I entered the Southwest did I think about that the RX3 would be fun on side roads, dirt roads and in the desert.

I do like my bike, but as my time is limited, I also thought that I'd have most likely lost my mind at 70 mph and 7-8k rpm's. Of course, I may have lost my life at 100 + mph on a Bandit, KTM, Vstrom etc... life is all about trade offs. I was in a desperate rush to arrive in California, so it's a poor litmus for a cross country ride. That said, crossing the country in my Wrangler, with the top down was just the therapy I needed to begin to deal with the unexpected loss of my sister, but wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea either. Temps were 109F in the Mojave to 43F in the mountains of New Mexico. Seeing the increase of ADV bikes, compared to the typical Harley and related cruisers was such a nice and welcome change.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:18 PM   #2

Not the topic of your thread, but my condolences on the loss of your sister.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-22-2016, 12:23 PM   #3

Well thank you.

Last time when this happened (to my other sister) I posted only about my trip on another popular ADV forum a few years back. I got lots of comments about taking my time, and not to rush. The commenters didn't know, and had no ill intent of course, but I didn't want to appear nonchalant about it, nor did I want to infuse my own sadness and loss. I'm still processing all of it. I tried to make it motorcycle related.

Old 09-22-2016, 01:50 PM   #4

I also send my condolence's. I've lost many in my family. Never easy.

Questions: The Wrangler did ok for you? What year? How large is the gas tank? I'll be trading my Patriot (it's been an AWESOME rig) at 95k and have been wondering.

Now to the topic at hand. I think the main reason you're seeing more ADV bikes out on the open road is simply due to major displacement. Also, they are quite comfortable now and also have good storage, compared to the bikes of old. Back then, if you wanted to do long travel, you'd best buy a bagger.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 09-22-2016, 03:45 PM   #5

Thank you. It never gets easier.

I have an 09 Wrangler, 4 door. Soft top, which I prefer. It's pretty quiet, and only has a tiny little rain leak, but we get a LOT of rain. It's the V6, has ok power, its a bumpy truck like ride, handles off road VERY well, is roomy and comfortable for 3 teenagers in the back seat on trips, but not my recent solo trip. My wife just got a Patriot, and I saw a metric ton of them in California. I can see why, if I got rid of my Jeep, I'd get the Patriot or the new Renegade. Its a 20 gal tank, fuel light comes on with 2 gal left, and my max range ever is 340. Usually, I have to refill at 320. Disappointing (for me).

Onto bikes, your point is valid. They are mostly powerful, fast, comfortable, and built to hold a ton of gear, and not Harley-esque. Second to ADV bikes, I saw more sport tourers (FJR's and BMW's) than ever, as well. Then smaller bikes like the Bolt, and naked's. It's a refreshing change from one Harley after the other. Of course, in big cities, I saw the usual sportbikes, and sporty naked bikes, just not out touring.

Old 09-22-2016, 03:56 PM   #6

I'm very sorry for your loss.

About you noticing ADV bikes, I remember the first time I knew I wanted to ride. I was sitting in a gas station and someone pulled up on a brand new R1150GS farlked to the 9's... I had no idea what it was but man did he look cool.

Now that I'm a raider, I'm always looking for the 'non cruisers'. Harley's are a dime a dozen in Oklahoma, but when I see a ADV bike, I perk up.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureDad View Post
Thank you. It never gets easier.

I have an 09 Wrangler, 4 door. Soft top, which I prefer. It's pretty quiet, and only has a tiny little rain leak, but we get a LOT of rain. It's the V6, has ok power, its a bumpy truck like ride, handles off road VERY well, is roomy and comfortable for 3 teenagers in the back seat on trips, but not my recent solo trip. My wife just got a Patriot, and I saw a metric ton of them in California. I can see why, if I got rid of my Jeep, I'd get the Patriot or the new Renegade. Its a 20 gal tank, fuel light comes on with 2 gal left, and my max range ever is 340. Usually, I have to refill at 320. Disappointing (for me).

Onto bikes, your point is valid. They are mostly powerful, fast, comfortable, and built to hold a ton of gear, and not Harley-esque. Second to ADV bikes, I saw more sport tourers (FJR's and BMW's) than ever, as well. Then smaller bikes like the Bolt, and naked's. It's a refreshing change from one Harley after the other. Of course, in big cities, I saw the usual sportbikes, and sporty naked bikes, just not out touring.
Not to shanghi the thread but your wife should really like her new Patriot. We bought 2 at the same time (one's mine, one's my car pool partner) in '13 (new 2014 models), and already have a combined 135k on them from super commuting and they've been flawless. We beat the snot out of them too. I can haul 8' lumber with the hatch closed thanks to the fold-flat front seat. Best car in snow I've ever had and the best "bang for the buck" rig, as well....but boy, is that gas tank LITTLE! I love the 28.00 fill-ups though.

Ok, back to ADV bikes,...

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 09-22-2016, 08:22 PM   #8

Sincerest condolences to you and your family on the loss of your sister. Peace.

Old 10-19-2016, 03:03 AM   #9

X5; I am very sorry to hear of your sister's death. Please accept my sincere condolences.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-24-2016, 08:38 PM   #10

Thank you all for your condolences. They really were appreciated.

On a happier note, I told you all that ADV bikes are popular. Looks like RX3 is a trendsetter!
http://http://canadamotoguide.com/20...kly+Newsletter

Also, its not just for Canada, it's just the link I found.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureDad View Post
Thank you all for your condolences. They really were appreciated.

On a happier note, I told you all that ADV bikes are popular. Looks like RX3 is a trendsetter!
http://http://canadamotoguide.com/20...kly+Newsletter

Also, its not just for Canada, it's just the link I found.
And,,,,,,,,,, made in China. Not even Taiwan as many Hondas are.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:55 AM   #12

More condolences on the loss of your sister.

if you think that Bandit is just stretching it's legs, you should try a Concours 14. Mine would feel like it wasn't even moving at 90. just a leisure ride. I had it at 140 once. not even in top gear. stable as could be. that was with the side cases and aftermarket trunk on it too.

I'm not a fan of the big ADVs though. seems like a 400-450 CB would be great, or anything up to perhaps the 650. Beyond that, they aren't really for off road due to their size. at least not any more than any other bike. I know a guy that took his Concours 1000 all the way to Deadhorse on the Dalton Highway. I'm not seeing where my C10 couldn't go anywhere a BMW GS could go....with the proper tires, of course.