Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Everything Else
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2023, 02:12 PM   #1

Hybrid atv?

Been toying with an idea for a while and finally came into possession of a frame that may work.

Does anyone have any experience with those 3000w motor kits that come off Amazon? Thinking of trying to mount a small generator to power a mid drive electric motor to see if I can get this thing putting around again

Old 11-24-2023, 10:45 AM   #2

A true hybrid uses a gas/diesel engine to charge a bank of batteries. The electric motor then draws off the batts.

What you are suggesting isn’t practical. If you could engineer the system the generator would have to be massive to power a 3000 watt motor.

The whole point of a hybrid system is to supply a smooth consistent charge rate to the bank of batteries that are more than or at least close to the draw from the electric motor. Ideally, the gas engine powering the generator will run at a low rpm to minimize noise and emissions. This wont be possible in your case without a big bulky generator and batteries due to basic laws of power transfer and the law of conservation of energy. That’s why a true hybrid will cycle from electric to gas power like a Prius. Sorry there aren’t no free lunches concerning electric/hybrid vehicles.

As of today, there just isn’t a more efficient means to power a vehicle per energy unit (BTU, watts, hp whatever) than the good old polluting gasoline burning engine

Go to BTR Batteries website and buy the biggest lipo4 battery they got to power the 3000 watt motor. I think they have 60 volt 60/70 amp hour batts.

Do not be tempted to buy cheap off brand lithium batteries from TEMU or Alibaba. These can catch fire while charging or under a heavy load. The batts need to be Lipo4, UL approved and have battery management systems installed.

I converted a 1200 watt Mototec kids UTV from four 12 volt 12 amp hour AGM batteries to one 48 volt 30 amp hour lipo4.

The range went from 5-8 miles to over 30 miles and the lipo4 weights half as much as the AGM batts. I went with the 30 amp hour as it fit the existing battery hole.

The lipo4 batts aren’t cheap but will save you $100s and many hours trying to figure out a system that just won’t work.