Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX4
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-07-2022, 06:03 PM   #1

Doh! ABS on the RX4 .... use both brakes or else !

yesterday I tested my ABS system on the RX4.....
using only the rear brake I locked up the back tire .... it chirped for a split second and then was free wheeling I had to release the rear brake peddle and apply again before the bike tried to stop again.
WTF that is the stupidest thing I have ever seen !!!!!
granted I did not apply the front brake at all , and I have been told that would have made the outcome much different.
but being an old man and have been riding for 50+ years with hardly ever using the front brake I have to say my confidence in the RX4 has reached a new low Yes I have been practicing using the front brake alot after watching many videos on youtube about trail braking.... but to be forced to use both brakes just to make the ABS system work is Ludacris !
I asked CSC about this and it's been 3 days and I have not heard back from them yet... I suppose it is the first time they have encountered this issue.... but what a big issue it is ! if you happen to lock up the rear wheel
all of a sudden no brakes from the rear wheel at all.... that can get you killed real quickly !
I have been told by a fella that because I used only one brake ( the rear)
it caused the problem.... he suggested that I apply both brakes next time I test it and see what it does.... and I have to agree my Misuse of the brakes
may well have caused the issue... they were designed to be both used and they should modulate the brakes to both wheels to stop you faster than you could by yourself......
But I haven't got the muscle memory down yet to Use both brakes !
and many times I simply just use the rear brake alone
and what I discovered is if you do that and lock up the rear wheel all stopping from the rear wheel goes away and it just starts free wheeling
you have to let up off the brake and re apply to get your brakes back
....that has to be the stupidest innovation to any motorcycle that I have ever seen.... you use both brakes or you stand the chance of loosing the one you are using..... how in gods name can you manufacture a bike like that in good conscious ? it's going to get someone killed for sure !
so I am left with 2 options disable the ABS entirely, or use both brakes at the same time all the time...... and never forget !
Bob.....