Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs

Old 07-30-2014, 03:48 PM   #1

Beast steering

Hi all,

I've got significant darting with my 200cc beasts, and I know the advice is to give it a little bit of toe in.

But my question is how do I know when it's as good as it's going to get. I've ridden 4x4 quads years ago and they did not have any darting at all, but I've never ridden sport quads before, so I'm curious what "dialled-in" steering is like on these. Is some darting to be expected?

It doesn't look like the stock suspension has any caster, and isn't adjustable. Has anyone tried welding up new a-arms with more caster?

Thanks!
Dan

Old 07-30-2014, 06:23 PM   #2

What do the steering links look like in proportion to the a arms
Post pics if you can

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=13896

Different quad but could be something similar

I'm sure others will chime in shortly

Dave

Old 07-31-2014, 02:15 AM   #3

I took the time to weld in new mounts for my Beast, so that I could use Yamaha Raptor shocks, but in retrospect Yamaha Blaster shocks might be a better fit. What is important to note is that bumpsteer isn't really a problem with Beasts, since the control arm vs. tie rod lengths are so similar. That assumes that the shocks are mounted to stay outside of bumpsteer.

I took the time to measure the range of motion when I was working on TurboT's quad, and you can read about that here: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6291&page=4

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-31-2014, 05:36 PM   #4

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. But can you give me an idea of what a dialled-in beast is like? Does is still dart, just not as much? Or is it as like an old jeep CJ where it just tends to go the direction the wheels are pointed? Somewhere in between or am I way off?

Old 07-31-2014, 10:56 PM   #5

tie rod

It is funny that just the BEAST had the tie rods under neath... instaed on top.. all of the TAOTAO atvs are on top.... I guess someone at the EASY VEHICLE COMPANY ( that is who makes them for GIO ) ... Thought that they should be that way.... good for the member to think of this...

Old 07-31-2014, 11:43 PM   #6

My Beast does not dart. The stock shocks are pogo sticks, so that might be exacerbating the problem for you.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-01-2014, 04:33 PM   #7

Okay, thanks!

Both of mine are darting and one of them has the "performance" shocks, so I wasn't sure. Although I haven't adjusted the toe-in yet, and had just assumed the previous owner would have dealt with it.

But since discovering that he circumvented the starter solenoid with speaker wire and a 120v push switch that resulted in a small electrical fire, I'm going to have to "review" the whole thing from top to bottom.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:25 AM   #8

Excellent idea.

You might be interested in this: Beast Front Shock Upgrade

Old 08-02-2014, 07:39 PM   #9

I think on sport style quads the toe in alignment is dependent on the shocks. I had trouble with the front end on my beast as well. I have the performance shocks which do have nice travel. After you do the alignment toe in press down on the front grill and make sure the tires don't go beyond straight. (If that makes sense?) I was surprised how " toe in " the stance looked on my beast when the alignment was dialed in. If you can compress the shocks enough by hand to go beyond the strait position you haven't toed in enough and will still get the bump steer. I hope this makes sense