Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #16

OOh interesting, all the bikes that caught my eye when I was looking for inspiration were twin shockers.....

I'll check that out tomorrow. The thing is , I REALLY don't want to spend a lot on the build, as it's probably not going to be a bike that I'll keep, I just want to learn something about motorcycle engineering, how everything works, the pitfalls to customising, all that guff!

Of course all that could change if I fall in love with it !

Old 12-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #17

I forgot to mention that if you deleted the monoshock and installed twin shocks, the twin shock XR200 swingarm is a bolt-on deal.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-28-2013, 06:17 PM   #18

Here's what I mean: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=12613

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-29-2013, 09:16 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
That's a VERY handy thread, good work sir. Any updates?

I'm not confident enough to go that far yet, and I can't weld, but I'd really like to see if you've gotten any further on those bikes yet?

Old 12-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #20

Not yet. Bro-in-law and I were hoping to work on the bike over Christmas, but there was no time. He's gonna try and get back to my place in January, and we'll hopefully get back on the project.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:53 PM   #21

Just an update, for anyone who's following this thread, I've decided on the tank and bars, but I can't get her started... (see other thread!) I still need to source an 18" front wheel, but with the tank decided upon, I can plan out the fabrication of the seat and try to hide as much gubbins underneath it as possible...

I really want to make sure it's running right at every stage of the build though, so I know that if suddenly it's NOT running, the cause is whatever I've JUST been messing with!

Old 07-29-2014, 06:23 PM   #22

Ok - more "progress"!

Started to strip all the electrical gubbins from their lazy assed untidy frame mountings and grind off all unnecessary bracketry to clear up the magic triangle..

And started to fabricate a template for an under-seat tray to house aforementioned electrics, including the battery.

Here's the tray bent into shape.. (from a piece of rusted steel I found in a skip)

And in situ...

Decided on the tank to use, but it had a massive dent in it, and an opening at the back end that needed filling..

So cut a metal plate to fill the back opening of the tank and cracked open the stinky filler..

Started fabricating a wooden ply base for the seat, and ground off a good 8 inches of frame from the back of the bike.

And messing around with foam (cut out of the original seat foam of course)

Cut a recess for the cheap chinese ebay light and number plate bracket to fit into.

And where I'm up to right now, started stitching my own seat cover out of an old tan leather (real leather) sofa cushion cover I found rotting in a customer's garden.

I know it still looks rough as hell, but I've never done anything like this before and I'm pretty chuffed with the way it's going so far. It's really taking shape, and what's more is that I've spent under £50 so far, with the only expenditure being a new gel battery and the back light... Anyone wanna sell me a front light dirt cheap?

I realise a 'street tracker' look might not appeal to most, but I like the way it's going!

Old 07-29-2014, 11:38 PM   #23

Thanks for posting the update. You are making good progress.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-30-2014, 12:27 AM   #24

Love it! I agree with you on cleaning up the triangle. The welds are just awful on these frames, aren't they? I have tons of grinding to do on my project.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:26 AM   #25

absolutely love your ideas bro!!!! looking forward to seeing more progress!!!

Old 07-30-2014, 10:40 AM   #26

What is the tank from?

Old 07-30-2014, 02:29 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
What is the tank from?
good question!

it was kickin around in a car importers place along with a couple of other m/cycle bits and bobs, origin unknown I'm afraid!

Our local bikemonger reckons it might've been an old quad bike tank or something similar... Cute though innit!

Old 07-30-2014, 04:03 PM   #28

street tracker sounds good to me. do you have a picture of the whole bike as it looks now? are u going to keep the handlebars?

Old 07-31-2014, 02:01 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusmelba View Post
good question!

it was kickin around in a car importers place along with a couple of other m/cycle bits and bobs, origin unknown I'm afraid!

Our local bikemonger reckons it might've been an old quad bike tank or something similar... Cute though innit!
It really has a nice shape for the look you're after.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:12 PM   #30

Oh, I forgot... A couple of other things altered so far... I've relocated the ignition to just underneath the tank, with a custom bracket made from another scrap bit of metal..

Here's how it looks with the tank on...

And I made a new bracket for some tiny clicks a mate gave me... (not entirely sure they work yet, that could've been a waste of time!)

I'll take a picture of the whole thing soon, just glueing some leather right now!

Tags
125, apache, por, scrambler, street