Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2017, 11:35 PM   #1

Apollo 250rx/agb36 How to soften rear suspension?

2016 Apollo 250 trail bike. I've put enough time on it to receive three strongly worded letters from my backside.

So, softening the rear suspension? Ideas? Is there something I can adjust? Air pressure in the shock, or changing springs? Spinning a dial or whirling a gig? Also, I'd like to take about an inch out of the height, but I'm afraid it'll make the stiffness worse. Confirm?

Thanks for the time.

Old 03-13-2017, 02:57 PM   #2

Page 3 - http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=17384

This way it adds to the overall height though...

Old 03-14-2017, 02:58 PM   #3

Thanks Slayder. I saw your post on that, hell of a job. I was hoping there were some adjustments to be made to the stock suspension, but I may have to go in for the full swap. How much time did you throw at that project?

Old 03-14-2017, 04:13 PM   #4

Hard to put a number to it, probably totaling 2-3 days.

There may be other shocks that are more compact and will work for you, I choose this route and it improved the bike ride quality alot. Next in line are KX85 front forks, would like to see some close up pictures of the forks mounting points.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:31 PM   #5

I think I'm going to ride it this summer with the lower psi and looser spring. Thanks for the info. I may bounce some questions off of you if I go full swap.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:23 PM   #6

I did the same shock upgrade as Slayder... I used an older model shock and drilled a new lower end bolt hole in mine. Kept the rise from going up much at all. So much softer and nicer than the stock one. honestly other than the carb best upgrade you can do. I am 5'9 and I can almost flat foot it with the new shock.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:00 PM   #7

Thanks Starsire. It's on my "probably this summer" list. The stock height might actually be fine after I soften it up. I'm 6'2" but my father putters around with it (stored at his place) and he's about 5'10" with short legs and fake knee. So, an inch or so off would help him a lot.

Old 03-15-2017, 03:20 AM   #8

So being Chinese i'm guessing it's a non linkage system..?

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 03-15-2017, 12:39 PM   #9

Pretty sure there are links, I'll have to go look underneath to be sure. I wanted to look anyway. I'm thinking about fabbing some for a bit of lowering.

Edit: yes on the linkage

Last edited by Kaifune; 03-26-2017 at 11:20 PM.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:08 AM   #10

Im going to try this shock.

http://www.powersportamerica.com/ful...0009-pbc1312gp

It is for an apollo 250. It is not the stock shock for the DB-36 that every site has. It is for the water cooled version they sell (or used to sell). It may also be for a DB-38 but I have not researched that one. I am going to order it and see what happens. I believe it will bolt on with no modifications. I hope it does and I hope it will soften up the rear a bit. I will post pictures of the whole procedure.

Old 03-19-2018, 03:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its_not_a_honda View Post

It is for an apollo 250. It is not the stock shock for the DB-36 that every site has. It is for the water cooled version they sell (or used to sell). It may also be for a DB-38 but I have not researched that one. I am going to order it and see what happens. I believe it will bolt on with no modifications. I hope it does and I hope it will soften up the rear a bit. I will post pictures of the whole procedure.
Great find, would love to know how it rides. Keep us updated!!!

Old 03-31-2018, 04:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its_not_a_honda View Post

Did you order the shock? If so, any details you could provide?

Old 04-01-2018, 09:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglass View Post
Not yet. I found a site that has ALL kind of parts for the orion/apollo 250. I found the link on here somewhere but here it is again: http://store.orionmotors.nl//index.php . I spent my budget on a 12 tooth sprocket, passenger pegs, and a plastic gas tank. This place has almost everything (except the shock I want). They have all the stuff to add OEM headlight, turn signals, controls, etc. I just picked the RX250 in the parts section. Most of the stuff except water cooling will work on the plain old AGB-36. They speak Dutch but the translation works pretty good on the site. Very fast shipping! Had to send extra shipping $$ after order tho. Something does not calculate just right. Not a problem tho. I thought shipping was a little cheap at check out anyway. Lol.

The shock will be next month for sure. I promise to post pictures and commentary.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglass View Post
Ordered the shock. It was way too long. I could have squeezed it in but I just didn't like the way it was going to turn out. The shock has all kinds of adjustments. Hate it didn't work.

Old 07-04-2018, 07:13 PM   #15

Do any of you have the center to center, from the mounting holes, overall length of the stock shock for the AGB-36?
I found a couple of options that i am considering trying but am out of town and wont be able to measure my own till this weekend.