Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2022, 08:38 AM   #1

Now I have another problem. The bearings for the descupulator pivot arm bushing retainer pin thingy in the tranny* are making an odd noise. What to do?

* Not a gender reference
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 03-27-2022, 08:48 AM   #2

Believe it or not, that one is a simple fix. All you need is some 3 in1 oil, and some gauze pads. Or, some Bisquick and a couple clarinet reeds. It all depends on which model your machine was equipped with. Older models had the 47C, newer models have the 48.....
Should be fine either way. Also admins, this should be a sticky, as these odd gremlins continue to pop up on these things. All the info we can gather, the better

Old 03-27-2022, 10:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExMxer View Post
Believe it or not, that one is a simple fix. All you need is some 3 in1 oil, and some gauze pads. Or, some Bisquick and a couple clarinet reeds. It all depends on which model your machine was equipped with. Older models had the 47C, newer models have the 48.....
Should be fine either way. Also admins, this should be a sticky, as these odd gremlins continue to pop up on these things. All the info we can gather, the better
OMG that is awesome info, thank you!

So I dug into the tranny and checked out my specific version. Since my X-pect is a '21 model, I expected to see the 48 version. But to my surprise it was stamped 47F! My bike is an early '21, so that may be why. Apparently there were different attempts to fix the issue, and they documented the process by changing the letter designation. I will try the 3in1 and gauze first since it is a 47 series.

BTW clarinet reeds come in different strengths, which I think relate to thicknesses. Do you have any info on which ones would work best? The range is 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5 etc up to 4.

According to legendary old-time NASCAR stock car mechanic Smokey Yunick, talking about a similar issue he had with a Hudson, a 1:1 ratio of honey and beeswax can be used instead of the Bisquick. No mention of the particular reeds he used, unfortunately.
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.

Old 03-27-2022, 06:39 PM   #4

After studying your data.... I'm thinking we could utilize the strength of the reeds used on an Oboe. Being they use 2, substantially thicker, therefore more structurally sound. Long term would be more ideal for endurance. As for the the elimination of the Bisquick, Ol Smokey I have to agree with on this...(Truth, I met his nephew at Charlotte years ago, sharp dude!), except Bisquick attaches itself better, acting as a friction modifier.....

I am still concerned at the end of the day with how this could affect the overall flow of internal inertia. If you don't have that, ya gots nothin. It's all up to the flow..... Unless you purge the whole shooting match, then that of course, changes everything. But I still think 3 in one is vital to the entire effort.....

Old 03-27-2022, 11:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExMxer View Post
After studying your data.... I'm thinking we could utilize the strength of the reeds used on an Oboe. Being they use 2, substantially thicker, therefore more structurally sound. Long term would be more ideal for endurance. As for the the elimination of the Bisquick, Ol Smokey I have to agree with on this...(Truth, I met his nephew at Charlotte years ago, sharp dude!), except Bisquick attaches itself better, acting as a friction modifier.....

I am still concerned at the end of the day with how this could affect the overall flow of internal inertia. If you don't have that, ya gots nothin. It's all up to the flow..... Unless you purge the whole shooting match, then that of course, changes everything. But I still think 3 in one is vital to the entire effort.....
Thanks, I will look into using the oboe reeds as an alternative or upgrade from the clarinet ones.

So are you saying I need a one-way inertia valve? Are they available with a dial so it can be tuned? Or do I need a reversible inertia valve, preferably the kind with auto-modulation.

Old 03-27-2022, 06:44 PM   #6

And to those of you following this extensive study need to remember, No drugs were taken during this work in progress. This is all from years of seat of the pants research. Truly, world changing stuff..... Labs across the globe are hard at work finding the solutions as we speak. I repeat, this needs to be a sticky!

Old 03-28-2022, 12:48 AM   #7

Auto inertia for certain, just make sure it’s programmable. Otherwise, that thing could quite possibly run itself to death trying to keep up. Believe me, I found out the hard way….. And make for damn sure you bond the chassis to ground. It cannot be floating, the internal circuits will collapse. Once you have all those things in order, quite possibly you could be well on your way. Unless you forgot proper modulation………

Old 03-28-2022, 09:36 AM   #8

After searching practically all night, I found a small engineering company in Lithuania that markets inertia valves for various applications. Unfortunately, due to some oversight in my education, I do not speak Lithuanian; and the only translation option on their web page is into Latvian, which is similar.

Fortunately my neighbor, Billy Bob Ostrowski, has parents living with him who are from the Old Country. I will contact them to see if they can provide translation services for me. I'm thinking one of the two smallest models will work, but IDK.

Last edited by TominMO; 03-28-2022 at 09:41 PM.

Old 03-28-2022, 10:15 AM   #9

Possibly, the best part about this thread other than laughing, is that we don’t have any actual problems to fix on the xpect.

Old 03-28-2022, 12:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy View Post
Possibly, the best part about this thread other than laughing, is that we don’t have any actual problems to fix on the xpect.
I am relieved to see you have not had the descupulator problem yet. Keep an eye on this thread for when you do. Hopefully this happened only to a specific batch of Xpects. Or maybe it was a Monday morning build.

Old 03-28-2022, 11:31 AM   #11

I was going to help my neighbor with his Tranny last night. We had all the necessary tools, including 3 in 1, gauze pads, clarinet reeds, oboe reeds, honey, beeswax, and Bisquick. Unfortunately I dropped the paper bag when I entered the garage. We both went inside for cleaning materials, but we came back to the garage we couldn't find the tools. That's when we realized that his dog had been attracted to the package and had eaten most of it. We found his dog in his dog house and discovered how great a friction modifier that combination could be. The dog is pooping like crazy, and it's getting higher and deeper all the time. No modulation in sight.

2016 Magician 250

Old 03-28-2022, 12:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magician16 View Post
I was going to help my neighbor with his Tranny last night. We had all the necessary tools, including 3 in 1, gauze pads, clarinet reeds, oboe reeds, honey, beeswax, and Bisquick. Unfortunately I dropped the paper bag when I entered the garage. We both went inside for cleaning materials, but we came back to the garage we couldn't find the tools. That's when we realized that his dog had been attracted to the package and had eaten most of it. We found his dog in his dog house and discovered how great a friction modifier that combination could be. The dog is pooping like crazy, and it's getting higher and deeper all the time. No modulation in sight.
So apparently we have stumbled upon an alternative to Ex-Lax. Excrement I mean excellent. The only solution is to give him something that promotes constipation, like a fruitcake or something.

Old 03-28-2022, 05:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominMO View Post
So apparently we have stumbled upon an alternative to Ex-Lax. Excrement I mean excellent. The only solution is to give him something that promotes constipation, like a fruitcake or something.
I'm so sorry to hear of the extreme shitter splatter episode the little pooch is going through. The only sure fire cure I can think of offhand comes to me after watching my neighbors dog tear into an accidently dropped bag of groceries. His wife was carrying about 3 bags too many at once, and one hit the ground as she was stepping into the patio door. I was on the mower at the time, and saw the whole thing, not too concerned figuring she would quickly grab the sack she dropped. I guess she quickly had to use the ladies room, and afterward went to look for the missing sack. What she found was a full grown mutt face deep into this bag, going like hell. He literally ate an entire block of Velveeta, and a part of some butter pecan ice cream. For the next 3 days, this poor animal just wandered around whimpering. Just before they were going to take Spot to the vet, he let out a scream that was indeed of intense ouch.... Bless his heart, the damn finally burst. He looked as if he were trying to pass a Buick Roadmaster out of his ass, feet anchored to ground preparing for the intial blast. Nose up, tail up, in the full on attack position, the eagle finally landed. Upon completion of his quest, he went into a celebratory full speed sprint around his yard lasting at least 15 minutes, then falling over into a full, solid nap to rest his body after the obvious hell he'd been through. To this day, Spot runs like hell if he even gets a whiff of anything cheese related.......
So, try cheese. just not 2.5 lbs of it.........

Old 03-28-2022, 06:09 PM   #14

Apparently on CR it is only a short leap from transmission problems to oboe reeds to projectile pooping. Thank goodness this thread has not wandered off course at all. That would really annoy me!

Old 03-28-2022, 06:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominMO View Post
Apparently on CR it is only a short leap from transmission problems to oboe reeds to projectile pooping. Thank goodness this thread has not wandered off course at all. That would really annoy me!
No! We have stayed the course! Think about it a sec.....
If you have transmission issues, moving as normal is not an easy task.
If you have shitter issues, moving as normal is also not an easy task.

I'd say we are right on track to find eventual cures for all the above, just each of us discovering various cures for the problem areas. We must maintain course...... We cannot let our minds wander this deep into finding the cure(s)