Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Video and Pics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2016, 04:54 PM   #1

95C1500's 2015 Hawk 250 Thread

I bought a 2015 Hawk 250 for $850. 3100 miles (that's when the odometer stopped working). I still need to transfer the title but after that, it'll be mine.

now that I have the bike, there are a few things that need to be addressed.
1) Dead battery. I dropped it off at O'reillys to get it charged. I'll pick it up in the morning and see if it works. If not, I'll be buying a new battery.
2) the mirror was broken off, He tossed in the one off his parts bike. I need to put that on tomorrow.
3) The color. It looks decent in pictures (I like the color but the execution is poor. There are spots where you can still see the original color (blue). I will respray it at some point (maybe a dark grey or something)
4) Oil change, fork oil change, lube the chain, etc... basic maintenance. Speaking of maintenance, how often are the spark plugs changed on these bikes?
5) left grip just slides off. Need to glue it or replace with a different set.
6) bike was dropped, clutch lever end broken off. Do they make short levers that work on these bikes?
7) bike squeaks when suspension cycles. I hate anything I ride or drive to squeak. Any know areas that squeak or even solutions to the problem? I used fluid film on my truck leaf packs and it worked great. For 3 months it was squeak free. Sprayed some more and it was gone after a trip around the neighborhood.
8) The bike needs to be cleaned. Bad. It's dusty/dirty. I don;t plan to do much offroading with it so I want it to look nice.
9) That damn shift lever. So short. So uncomfortable. I need a longer one asap
19) I'd like to do sprockets and a chain. But I want to get a good feel for the way it performs stock before I change them.
11) carb tuning. I think I've decided to keep the stock carb and just replace the jets
12) Hand Guards. Always liked the look. Not to mention the added protection.
13) needs a kickstand spring. Right now it's held on by... you guessed it. A bungee cord
14) One of them fancy digital clusters. The speedometer doesn't work (needle broken off and it just spins in circles as I rode it)
15) float in the gas tank needs to be replaced since the gauge doesn't work

It's not perfect, it needs some work and modifications, but I feel like I got a pretty good deal and I expect a lot of great, cheap fun over the years.

Old 10-17-2016, 04:55 PM   #2

So since my last post, I picked up my battery from O'reillys. Fully charged and ready to go. I got home, dropped it in the bike and it fired right up. Went for a ride around the neighborhood. When I got back, I turned the ignition off and washed the bike. About an hour later I went to go for another ride and I heard it turn over for a fraction of a second and then... nothing. So just my luck, dead battery. I didn't have time to mess with it so I unhooked the battery and stuck it back in the garage. LAst night I picked up a "powersports battery" at O'reillys for the grand total of $103 (Yikes!). Come to find out, it did not fit. No biggie, that's what returns are for. I really wanted to take it for another ride so I looked at the stock battery again and there was no water in the cells. You'd think auto parts workers could check the simple stuff rather than just toss it on a charger. So I added water, went out and bought a battery tender trickle charger and let it sit overnight. Go out this morning, toss it in and it fires right up. Wait an hour, go out to leave for school and it fires right up again (except when I forgot about the killswitch lol). So I park it in the garage, leave it connected and I'll try it again tonight.If it starts fine, I'll leave the battery tender on it when I'm not riding and use the no-name chinese battery until it has nothing left. I hope it lasts, not looking forward to $109 for a new (the right one) battery.

Anyways, here's some pics of it cleaned up, the rattle can paint job, the busted cluster, etc...

Old 10-17-2016, 05:29 PM   #3

It might have had some water in it, but the charger O'reillies hooked it up to probably boiled it off

Might be time to take measurements and order a battery online, save a bunch of cash in the process too, a "Chrome" branded AGM batteries go for under $30, and the smaller Lithium batteries that fit most of these China Bikes are just over $70 shipped to your door

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:03 PM   #4

Yeah there's one battery tender brand that's $75 shipped. If this battery is toast, I'll end up ordering that one

Old 10-17-2016, 06:04 PM   #5

How do I go about getting one of those fancy digiti clusters? I know there's an email address but is there a website you can order them from?

Old 10-17-2016, 07:52 PM   #6

Order it directly from Matt, (mjstef) He is the importer. I will PM you his phone number. It;s like $100 with all the wiring and directions. It was by far the best cosmetic thing I have done to my hawk.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolclass View Post
Order it directly from Matt, (mjstef) He is the importer. I will PM you his phone number. It;s like $100 with all the wiring and directions. It was by far the best cosmetic thing I have done to my hawk.

Is shipping included in that $100?

Old 10-17-2016, 09:01 PM   #8

That price is shipped with a 6month warranty from what I remember reading, but mjstef will have all the details

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhule View Post
That price is shipped with a 6month warranty from what I remember reading, but mjstef will have all the details
Awesome! I'll get in touch with him soon.

The battery sat hooked up to the bike all day long and it fired right up tonight. I also got my $103.49 back from O'reillys Very happy about that. I'll go put on the ring terminal connectors for the battery tender junior so I can charge it easily.

Took it around the neighborhood and really got on it and sure enough, beyond half throttle it bogs down. Time for some carb tuning.

Oh and I need to get rid of that signal beep. That was annoying lol

Old 10-18-2016, 03:42 AM   #10

I decided that even though I have a lab report due tomorrow morning, I'd rather be out in the garage working on the bike. I pulled the side plastics, seat, air box lid and filter, dried out the air box, reassembled that, clipped the turn signal beeper wire, went around the bike and tightened any loose nuts or bolts (passenger foot peg and manifold). Reassembled it. Made a list of the next things I'll be doing to it which includes an oil change, valve adjustment, greasing tjhe axles and the swing arm bolt, spark plug, new jets for the carb and lubriate the chain. Then a hawk cluster and a new paint job. Thinking a dark blue or a dark grey color.

Old 10-19-2016, 12:02 AM   #11

I got a gel-cell battery from these guys for my TMEC200. You have to measure your stocker in order to get the right size (the bikes they list are all for brand name bikes, even though they sell Chinese scooters and quads).

http://www.t-motorsports.com/batteries/?sort=priceasc

I think this is the one that fit in my TMEC, and the price seems about right. Lasted over 2 and a half years, and the only reason it stopped was because when I stopped riding the bike, I never disconnected the terminal, and about 6 months later, one of the screws and the terminal was corroded and I could not get it off. The terminal ended up literally ripping off due to the corrosion.

http://www.t-motorsports.com/gel-ytx...cycle-scooter/

Could have been this one?! Either way, the price was under $35 shipped from what I remember (not doing too well with that, LOL). Much less than $100...

http://www.t-motorsports.com/ytx12-b...moped-battery/

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 10-19-2016, 02:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
I got a gel-cell battery from these guys for my TMEC200. You have to measure your stocker in order to get the right size (the bikes they list are all for brand name bikes, even though they sell Chinese scooters and quads).

http://www.t-motorsports.com/batteries/?sort=priceasc

I think this is the one that fit in my TMEC, and the price seems about right. Lasted over 2 and a half years, and the only reason it stopped was because when I stopped riding the bike, I never disconnected the terminal, and about 6 months later, one of the screws and the terminal was corroded and I could not get it off. The terminal ended up literally ripping off due to the corrosion.

http://www.t-motorsports.com/gel-ytx...cycle-scooter/

Could have been this one?! Either way, the price was under $35 shipped from what I remember (not doing too well with that, LOL). Much less than $100...

http://www.t-motorsports.com/ytx12-b...moped-battery/
Awesome! Thank you for that! Good to know there are cheaper options out there

Old 10-20-2016, 06:07 PM   #13

Okay guys, I am absolutely furious right now. I ordered fun parts for the hawk the other day and yesterday I got a call from the PO who told me he forgot to mention that the plastic dipstick broke off and fell inside the motor. He said he took it to a mechanic who supposedly removed it. He told me he also changed the oil a couple days ago. It seems to me like it would've looked like this (or worse) then if it had really fallen and not been removed, so I didn't think much of it. Well I went to change the oil today, and lo and behold... this is what I find...

So... how fucked am I? It's plastic, I know it's not good for it at all but how much damage did it do/could it have done to the motor? I can flush the motor and fill it back up and ride off into the sunset right? How would I go about that?

I'm not blaming the PO, I'm blaming the bullshit shop for not doing the work.

Last edited by 95C1500; 10-20-2016 at 07:00 PM.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:16 PM   #14

Man I hate that. Sometimes I really can't believe the things people do...

Most are more knowledgeable here than me, but I believe there is a centrifugal oil filter that is accessed by removing the right engine cover. Maybe this video will help:

Old 10-20-2016, 08:11 PM   #15

[QUOTE=95C1500;234123]

Is that even fresh oil?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~