Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2010, 12:33 AM   #1

I think I scored a free titled 1985 XR200!

It's all there, runs, and is as ugly as sin.

My frend Roger has been wanting to get his girls, ages 10-1/2 and 12 into riding. I suggested XR100's or similar.

After some CL searching I found a guy selling 2 XR100's, and an XR200. They are all decent, especially the 100's.

One 100 needs carb seals and a petcock, the other needs handgrips and fork seals and a seat cover, but they are both all there, with titles and run fine.

The 200 needs carb seals, a petcock, fork seals, and a seat cover. It also smokes a little, but seems to still run strong.

How big a job is it to re-ring one of these?

The guy was asking $1,000 for the three. I got him down to $800 for the three and Roger will give me the $200 in exchange for fixing up the two 100's.

Sound good? :?:

We'll pick the bikes up tomorrow and I'll post pics.

They are all ugly. :P

Old 10-01-2010, 02:26 AM   #2

Jump on it! After fixing up the kid's bikes and the 200, flog the 200 and get a different year. A quick Google search will show you that Honda realized their mistake with the 1984 and 85 XR200 four valve bikes. Before and after that period, XR200's are two valve, and that's what our beloved Lifanoids are based upon.

The '84-'85 four valve version was known to be overly complicated, under powered and hot. As far as working on them goes, they're no different than an XR250; you need to work at the timing chain adjuster to get it to extend so you can block it with a paper clip, then you can slide the cam out and remove the head. Before dismantling it, see if all of the head bolts are tight. Chances are that one on the left side is stripped, but a Helicoil fix is easy and common.

Too bad about the reliability aspect, because the Pro-Link is well designed, and '84 is the first year that the seat climbs up the tank for, uhh, protection.

The hot setup would be to score an XR250R engine; it would be a bolt-in. The rear wheel is a 17" IIRC, and the front is a drum brake. You should be able to swap the rear to an 18" if you want, and 1984 XR250 front forks with a disc brake is a bolt-on, and cheap on eBay. I have a set of '88 CR125 forks that could be made to work if you wish. Lemme know.

Can you tell I'm excited about this?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-01-2010, 02:38 AM   #3

Doc I think you should just ignore W&G he has no idea about anything Honda.
:roll:

:P

Old 10-01-2010, 07:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
It's all there, runs, and is as ugly as sin.
How big a job is it to re-ring one of these?
The guy was asking $1,100 for the three. I got him down to $800 for the three and Roger will give me the 200 in exchange for fixing up the two 100's.
"Free" is one of the best "beer goggles" I've ever seen...they'll look just fine... :wink:
Great score.

I think W&G covered the repair work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Jump on it! ...
Nah, who can tell...

Bill R

Old 10-01-2010, 10:54 AM   #5

Heres the link:

http://kpr.craigslist.org/mcy/1980910527.html

I made a mistake, the 200 is an '83 so I guess that works in my favor.

I will pick them up tonight.

BTW it occurs to me that 'free' is not free since I signed up to do the work on the 100's. 2 flat tires, grips, fork seals, seat cover, brake lever tune upss, oil changes, and I think on one I'll replace the carb.

Looking at eBay I can buy a new Kehin for the price of a rebuild kit, about $30. Saves me a lot of trouble.

I found a good used shock for the 200 for $35. A petcock for $25, and a carb for $40.

Maybe I'll be able to run it for a while smoking a little? It's noticable but not like a mosquito fogger. Can I get away with it?

What do I need to do? I was thinking rings =/- piston, hone the wall, lap the valves, and valve guide seals?

Is that enough? Is that hard to do?

Need input. 8)

Old 10-01-2010, 10:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Jump on it! After fixing up the kid's bikes and the 200, flog the 200 and get a different year. A quick Google search will show you that Honda realized their mistake with the 1984 and 85 XR200 four valve bikes. Before and after that period, XR200's are two valve, and that's what our beloved Lifanoids are based upon.

The '84-'85 four valve version was known to be overly complicated, under powered and hot. As far as working on them goes, they're no different than an XR250; you need to work at the timing chain adjuster to get it to extend so you can block it with a paper clip, then you can slide the cam out and remove the head. Before dismantling it, see if all of the head bolts are tight. Chances are that one on the left side is stripped, but a Helicoil fix is easy and common.

Too bad about the reliability aspect, because the Pro-Link is well designed, and '84 is the first year that the seat climbs up the tank for, uhh, protection.

The hot setup would be to score an XR250R engine; it would be a bolt-in. The rear wheel is a 17" IIRC, and the front is a drum brake. You should be able to swap the rear to an 18" if you want, and 1984 XR250 front forks with a disc brake is a bolt-on, and cheap on eBay. I have a set of '88 CR125 forks that could be made to work if you wish. Lemme know.

Keep your excitement up, buddy. I plan on counting on you for this project!

Old 10-01-2010, 11:28 AM   #7

you could always try synthetic oil. It might be a myth but I have been told that synthetic oil does not smoke much when it is burnt.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:31 AM   #8

Quote:
I made a mistake, the 200 is an '83 so I guess that works in my favor.
You now have my complete attention.

That's the bike that Son of Weldangrind and I are building right now. The difference with us is that we paid for a (mostly) rolling chassis, and we've built the engine from four different donors so far.

Since it's the beloved two valve, swapping valve stem seals is easy. I've got a post about it on here somewhere. I'd start with that before new rings and honing the cylinder. The good news is that a Lifanoid engine is a bolt-in, if you can find one for cheap. You'd even have the benefit of electric start.

BTW, this is the bike that will readily accept the '84 XR250 front end to upgrade to a disc brake. Again, I've got an '88 CR125 front end that could be made to work.

How's the muffler on this one? Ours was rotten, so Waynev kindly provided a Beast muffler that I'm currently reworking.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #9

Muffler seems fine. No noise, stock original. Sounds good, actually!

Old 10-01-2010, 11:51 AM   #10

If I have to pull the head to do the seals, would it be much more to pull the cylinder and piston, or would it not be worth it? I'll see if the smoke clears up after it runs a while. If it does I think I can assume its the valve seals, right?

Old 10-01-2010, 06:31 PM   #11

The valve seals are probably dead and hard, and they're not likely to stop leaking. Yeah, you could remove the cylinder and piston while you're at it, but just replacing seals is cheaper and it usually fixes the problem.

When you have the head off you can decide if you wanna go further, based on the condition of the cylinder. If it's scored and there's a considerable ridge, it would need to be bored.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:12 PM   #12

Quote:
BTW it occurs to me that 'free' is not free since I signed up to do the work on the 100's.
But it's wrenching...gotta be fun
Quote:
Maybe I'll be able to run it for a while smoking a little? It's noticable but not like a mosquito fogger. Can I get away with it?
What do I need to do? I was thinking rings =/- piston, hone the wall, lap the valves, and valve guide seals?
Is that enough? Is that hard to do?
Need input. 8)
For the age of the bike and the smoke, I'd do all that. Isn't too hard, take your time...I learned how the "have to" way...

Stoopie (my alter ego) put the Quad Sport oil filter in backwards during a rush job oil change in prep for the "BIG RIDE"...didn't notice til the motor shut down from the heat. Lucky it didn't seize, but did score the cylinder (we found out later)
Rode it the rest of the summer with a bit of smoke, increasing slowly. When it started fogging for skeeters and the crew threatened to stop riding with me, we tore it down and honed the cylinder. New rings and it was back to humming. Took a few hours total.
Didn't have to do the valves, but we just had that great write up a few weeks ago... :wink:
Bill R

Old 10-01-2010, 11:15 PM   #13

Ahhh... Love the XR's! This sounds like an interesting project

Old 10-02-2010, 12:31 AM   #14

Bad news.

Got it home tonight and she started right up. Smoked. Took it up and down the street a few times, ran semi-OK but not much power, less than Q.

She siezed pulling into the driveway. Rode about a mile, and she had oil.

Egads the guy sold it to us at precisely the right moment!

I don't know if I'll rebuild the motor, or repower it with a Lifanoid (is it REALLY a drop in replacement?), or take it to the dump, or part it out.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:29 AM   #15

ohh dear! doc. if the frame wheels, and all the bits are there. I would say have a go. Was it knocking when the engine was running? But sounds terminal in any case. Shame ehhh.. i would decide when i got the top end off and just to make sure the bottom end is sweet.

good luck chap.