Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2010, 10:59 AM   #1

Opinions and suggestions please

Hi, I have a question for everyone. We have a US Army Corps of Engineers failure in my area. Not anyones fault really just the work of fate I guess. It was a lake project that was drawn out during the 1930s and postponed until the 60s. It took them until the late 1970s to complete the damn and all camping facilities. I did a lot of the welding myself for the project so I know the area very well. Well, the streams that fed it dried up and during the past 30yrs the government has gradually pulled out just leaving it open to vandals who have done thier best to destroy whats left. Its a major fine if you get caught riding any OHV there. It consists of 3500acres of gov land and 4500 acres of state land. I and several others have tried to get them to open it up to OHVs or at least atvs and bikes but they've been reluctant to even talk about it. They keep insisting on turning it back to the original land owners. I guess thier reasoning is to keep from spending any more money on it. Several of us have even offered to volunteer our free time with no avail. Well, it appears someone with the gov has finally listened because they're calling a town meeting next week to discuss what to do with it. Personally, I'm not a big public speaker but several of my family members are as well as others so what I'm looking for is opinions from anyone to help get the area opened up to atvs and orms. In my area people have to drive 50 to 100 miles to have ANY outdoor rec other than hunting since the dried up lake is open to hunting only. That mileage includes even a simple fishing trip believe it or not. Any help would be much appreciated. JimW

Old 02-15-2010, 11:35 AM   #2

Sounds like a wonderful idea. The way I see it, its criminal of the govenment to keep citizens off their own (public) land. Plus its a waste of resources.

I'd recommend hooking up with one of the larger OHV advocacy groups for bikes or ATVs. Maybe try to include the Jeep/truck crowd. The more people you involve the greater the chances of success. Maybe see if the NRA wants to put a range there, or designate some of the land for hunting.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:41 AM   #3

Doc has the right strategy. The Corps of Engineers is in an active land leasing/partnership mentality right now. Probably you best chance ever.

If you can get the backing of some large groups it could very well happen.

Tread lightly comes to mind too.

Allen

Old 02-15-2010, 11:44 AM   #4

It might also be helpful to study successful OHV parks, and learn about what has worked for them, fee structures, etc. Oregon State has excellent OHV parks with very reasonable registration fees.

Cheers!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-15-2010, 11:55 AM   #5

http://www.nwk.usace.army.mil/ht/ATVArea.cfm

http://www.nwk.usace.army.mil/pe/Trails-ATV.cfm

http://www.mvn.usace.army.mil/recrea...onnetcarre.asp

http://www.ouachitaatvadventures.com...bearcreek.html

http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/t.../ride_1c0d.htm

These are all on US Army property. Plenty of other places where it is already happening. Call/email and get info on how it is run and who helps.

I am sure that most of the maintenance is done by users.

Allen

Old 02-15-2010, 12:09 PM   #6

I'm excited about this. Keep us in the loop!

Old 02-15-2010, 12:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
I'm excited about this. Keep us in the loop!
Indeed! Please do keep us posted on your progress!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-15-2010, 12:51 PM   #8

Thanks all. I've talked with many people about this and they all agree except the greedy ranchers that join the land, and they'll fight this to the end. There are a lot of ohv riders in the area here but no clubs to my knowledge. I may do some checking to make sure tho, but it sounds like a good idea. Along with the nra too because they never crossed my mind till you mentioned it. Personally my own family doesn't have a problem having a place to ride since we have a farm, and i would be happy to let others ride here too, but unfortunatly we don't have 10,000 acres to allow lots of people at a time. Nor do we have the nice scenery since it is a working farm. I will take all your advice and see what I can do to get a good arguement put together before next monday. I will keep you posted on the outcome. JimW

Old 02-15-2010, 03:28 PM   #9

I discovered that place last year. Really strange looking seeing all the old park facilities and no lake anywhere, just grass. I was thinking at the time that it would be a great place to explore on an ATV or other offroad vehicle.

I would be interested in any updates.
Good luck with your presentation.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:56 PM   #10

Yeah, its been a major waste of tax dollars, and should've been opened up to OHVs a long time ago. They haven't even had a ranger out there in more years than I can remember. That's why the vandals have destroyed what they can. We'll see what happens and I'll keep everyone informed what comes of it. JimW

Old 02-15-2010, 07:43 PM   #11

we have similar goings on here to connect the trails here one if the things to mention over and over is the possible economic impact that gets attention. the trail here trying to connect the Hatfield/mccoy trail through va into ky. there are restaurants, gas stations, motels and service providers that cater to atvs
fired roketa,lifan and jet moto and apollo quit me who's next

Old 02-15-2010, 11:31 PM   #12

We were planning to bring up the economic possiblities, but I feel like some numbers to show would be of help but I'm not sure how to go about finding how the trail systems have impacted the communities around them? Any suggestions? JimW

Old 02-16-2010, 03:25 PM   #13

http://corpslakes.usace.army.mil/emp...fm?Id=off-road