Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2010, 11:30 AM   #1

How to lift up your motorcycle

I was just idly (bored) surfing on youtube and I came across this. I have never seen a bike lifted like this before, but if you have a large street bike and it falls off its stand or something it might be worth a try. I'm not going to lay my Shadow over to try it though!

Old 02-09-2010, 10:50 AM   #2

Re: How to lift up your motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
I was just idly (bored) surfing on youtube and I came across this. I have never seen a bike lifted like this before, but if you have a large street bike and it falls off its stand or something it might be worth a try. I'm not going to lay my Shadow over to try it though!
If I had to help someone lift a Gold Wing, I would definitely use this method! Thank you for sharing the information, MIC.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #3

Yup that's the way to do it. If you dump your bike get a good looking young girl to pick it up.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:34 AM   #4

Right, one with big muscles in her... uh, lifting area.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-09-2010, 11:47 AM   #5

The technique she demonstrated is in the Gold Wings manual. Some guys deliberatly lay the bike on its side just like that to change the tires.

Last summer I had the bike on a lift while changing the rear tire. It's an aluminum single sided swingarm and the wheel is held on by 4 bolts just like a car wheel. I was mostly under the bike fiddiling with the wheel, and knocked the bike off the jack and it fell on me. 850 pounds. My girlfriend wass there and looked on with horror, but was obviously unable to help. I told her to remain calm and I'd be OK.

Then I got out, more on this later, and I was OK except for some bruises and a smashed, swollen, painful, black and blue elbow. Some ice and ibuprofer and a week later I was fine.

Here's the thing. I don't have any recolection of how I got out from under that bike, and neither does she. I was pinned, and the bike was immense.

I believe God lifted it up enough for me to get out. I still think it was a miricle even 6 months after the fact.

Next tire change I'm bringing it into the shop.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Right, one with big muscles in her... uh, lifting area.
When I read your post I laughed so hard I sprayed a mouthful of soda pop all over my monitor!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-09-2010, 12:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
...I don't have any recolection of how I got out from under that bike, and neither does she. I was pinned, and the bike was immense.

I believe God lifted it up enough for me to get out. I still think it was a miricle even 6 months after the fact...
Amen.
Quote:
...Next tire change I'm bringing it into the shop.
Double Amen. Brother Bill, I fear your motorcycle activities are making The Lord work overtime.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 02-09-2010, 12:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Quote:
...I don't have any recolection of how I got out from under that bike, and neither does she. I was pinned, and the bike was immense.

I believe God lifted it up enough for me to get out. I still think it was a miricle even 6 months after the fact...
Amen.
Quote:
...Next tire change I'm bringing it into the shop.
Double Amen. Brother Bill, I fear your motorcycle activities are making The Lord work overtime.

Spud
Copy that Spud. I do seem to require Him to bail me out more than my fair share of times.

Plus I'm asking Him to introduce me to Miss Right...

Old 02-09-2010, 07:18 PM   #9

You actually can pick up a Goldwing like that? That was the one bike I figured would take at least two people to pick up, or a crane or something . The girl was kind of cute wasn't she? I think if I saw her on the street I would dump my Shadow just so she could show me how to pick it up... Bummer if I got the wrong girl though, then she would just point and laugh

Old 02-09-2010, 07:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider
You actually can pick up a Goldwing like that? That was the one bike I figured would take at least two people to pick up, or a crane or something . The girl was kind of cute wasn't she? I think if I saw her on the street I would dump my Shadow just so she could show me how to pick it up... Bummer if I got the wrong girl though, then she would just point and laugh
Yup, it's right in the owner's manual. I've seen Youtubes of small women lifting the Wing up also. The Wing has protective bars along the front and back on the sides that prevent it from tipping too far over, maybe 75 degrees? They also keep a tip over from damaging the paint or the body at al. Clever design which I don't plan to test.

As far as the wrong girl goes, I married her, and yes she would laugh at me rather than help, but that's a different story. :roll:

Old 02-09-2010, 07:30 PM   #11

An older smaller lighter model than my 1800, but you see the basic idea. :idea:

Old 02-09-2010, 09:05 PM   #12

Unreal what the right kind of leverage will do! I used to just grab em by the bars and horse em up! But my old streeters weren't that heavy, biggest one I had before my Shadow was a CX500 custom that had a tendancy for the sidestand to sink into soft ground... Lol, did it the first day I got it!

Edit: Oops, forgot that I had gotten the ex a CB650 Custom... But we never dropped that one anyway.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:18 PM   #13

Very interesting. I just go back into the bar and get the guys to come out and stand it up again. I don't even know how they do it. After this I will get one of those good looking women to ride home with me in case I need her!