Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2017, 03:42 AM   #1

Excess Oil in air filter?

Hello all,

Im hoping someone can help me with my problem. I have a brand new TaoTao Cheetah 125cc and it won't run more than 5 minutes. Oil builds up in the air filter and then starts leaking all over the place. I have drained all the oil and filled it to the recommended level. I took apart the air filter, cleaned it numerous times and same thing happens. I disconnected the hose at the air filter that's coming from the engine and can see a steady drip of oil coming out when running. I measured the amount and about 100 ml drips out from that hose in about 5 minutes. Obviously that is what's clogging the air filter and causing it to stall. ATV runs fine with the hose disconnected.

Any ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

Old 09-19-2017, 02:19 PM   #2

oil

hello.... you say brand new...... did you put it together?? did you make sure the hose on the back of the motor is not kinked... is it attached to the front of the air filter?/ the hose from the air breather port and the rear of the motor... and you say the oil level is right... about 1/2 litre or 1/2 quart.... remove the breather hose from the rear of the motor to the air filter inlet... see if oil comes out of it... you can plug the port on the air filter... or remove the fitting... this is just or EPA SPECS... pollution.... BUT PLUG THE AIR FILTER HOLE so no dirt gets in it... try this... where did you buy it.??? ask them or tell them this problem if there is too much oil out of this breather hose..... blow by... rings shot... if you have the right oil level... did it always do this... need info .. for us to help you fix it

Old 09-20-2017, 10:39 AM   #3

Thanks for the response! ATV is brand new. I did assemble it but only had to put on tires, handlebars, cargo racks. I did not have to connect any hoses or anything with the engine. I bought it from PowersportsMax in CA in which im VERY upset with. I've been trying to get a hold of someone in support to help me out and I've been hung up on and promised calls back which I never received. It's been a week now since last contact with them. I would NEVER buy from that company again. Now I'm stuck with my brand new ATV that doesn't even work for more than 5 minutes.

Unfortunately I'm not a mechanic so I really don't know what to do. I've been using google and YouTube for help but can't seem to find a solution. Most places say (a) it seems like the ATV was rolled over but it was not or (b) the oil is to full. I've totally drained the oil and made sure I added the recommended amount.

Hose not kinked and goes from top of engine to side of air filter. Yes, if I take the hose off the air filter, the atv runs fine. Problem is about 100 ml of oil drips out of that hose in about 5 minutes of ride time. With that rate, I'll have to add oil every 15-20 minutes of riding.

I really dont want to pay to take it in to a shop so any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!!

Old 09-20-2017, 10:52 AM   #4

Can you take a picture of the engine and hose so we can see how they are connected. It might help us. If I remember right that hose should be on top of the block. Not sure how the oil is getting there.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 09-20-2017, 12:47 PM   #5

Thanks I really appreciate the help. Below is a picture. The hose is disconnected from the air filter. It does run like this but like I said oil drops out the end of this hose at a rate of about 100ml per 5 minutes of riding. If I connect this to the air filter, the Atv stalls after about 5 minutes and then I have to take apart and clean the oil out of the air filter to get it to run again. Thanks again!

Old 09-20-2017, 01:33 PM   #6

That's the hose I was thinking about. Not sure why you would be blowing oil out of that hose and you said you have it filled to the right level. Does oil come out the hose if you have the end strapped up high like under the tank area? The only thing I can think of is your rings are not seated and getting blow by which is pressurizing the block. Do you have a lot of air coming out that hose while it is running? I noticed it has a filter inline. Did it come that way? If it did there's no reason to run it to the air filter box.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 09-20-2017, 01:53 PM   #7

This issue may go away after you get some hours on the engine and is broke in. In the mean time I would make sure to register it with TaoTao and contact tech support to let them know of the issue for warranty reasons. The dealer will more than like not be any help.
For Customer Support
Toll Free: 1-855-675-2626
support@taotao.us
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Last edited by JerryHawk250; 09-20-2017 at 02:51 PM.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:18 PM   #8

A filter in that location seems a bit "off". If it is blocked up enough or too restrictive I could see it allowing too much pressure in the crankcase until finally it "erupts oil" like a geyser. A PCV valve however would make sense. (one way valve)

I would be tempted to remove that filter and see if oil still comes out the hose. If its allowed to breathe freely it should be fine and not shoot out. If that works get a new length of hose and connect it to the air intake filter.

The hoses purpose is to allow pressure/gases/fumes from fuel/ to work there way out of the crank case without blowing seals and gaskets, or pushing excess oil to the top of the pistons. They connect it to the air intake for EPA reasons.. those fumes get recycled and burnt off in the top of the engine.

How do you know it is the right level of oil? Sight glass? Dipstick? Checking on level ground?

Manuals that come with these things are utterly useless.. would not rely on any information given in them. Even specs on the nameplates are false specs.

If its still having the oil issue it might be an Oil control ring or piston ring issue.. wouldn't keep running it if that is the case until it is repaired.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Racer View Post
A filter in that location seems a bit "off". If it is blocked up enough or too restrictive I could see it allowing too much pressure in the crankcase until finally it "erupts oil" like a geyser. A PCV valve however would make sense. (one way valve)

I would be tempted to remove that filter and see if oil still comes out the hose. If its allowed to breathe freely it should be fine and not shoot out. If that works get a new length of hose and connect it to the air intake filter.

The hoses purpose is to allow pressure/gases/fumes from fuel/ to work there way out of the crank case without blowing seals and gaskets, or pushing excess oil to the top of the pistons. They connect it to the air intake for EPA reasons.. those fumes get recycled and burnt off in the top of the engine.

How do you know it is the right level of oil? Sight glass? Dipstick? Checking on level ground?

Manuals that come with these things are utterly useless.. would not rely on any information given in them. Even specs on the nameplates are false specs.

If its still having the oil issue it might be an Oil control ring or piston ring issue.. wouldn't keep running it if that is the case until it is repaired.
Good point. That inline filter is more than likely coated with oil so it may not allow it to vent properly.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 09-21-2017, 10:29 AM   #10

Thanks for the reply! I thought that filter was more of a reservoir as I can watch it fill with oil when running. I will remove that filter and see if oil still drips out the hose. The atv did come this way.

Also, the recommended oil level is 800ml which is almost a full quart. Earlier
FLASHLIGHTBOY Posted to fill 1/2 quart. Does that seem right? I can also drain the oil again and only put in 400-500ml of oil to see if that helps. What's odd is that even at 800ml oil just barely shows on the dipstick.

But....now I have another problem it won't even start. It goes to turn over and then nothing. Checked all connections. I suspect it's the battery. I had to manually fill the battery when I got this and have never had to do that with any other battery I've owned. After I leave it hooked up to the charger it will try to start but then doesn't.

My poor kid....this was his birthday present almost 2 weeks ago and hasn't been able to ride it more then 5 minutes.

Thanks again for all the help. I'll let you know about the filter after I replace the battery and can get this to start.

Old 09-21-2017, 11:17 AM   #11

got mine from POWERSPORTS as well,, had issues, they couldn't have cared less...
I feel your pain..if that helps.

Old 09-21-2017, 03:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by -db- View Post
Thanks for the reply! I thought that filter was more of a reservoir as I can watch it fill with oil when running. I will remove that filter and see if oil still drips out the hose. The atv did come this way.

Also, the recommended oil level is 800ml which is almost a full quart. Earlier
FLASHLIGHTBOY Posted to fill 1/2 quart. Does that seem right? I can also drain the oil again and only put in 400-500ml of oil to see if that helps. What's odd is that even at 800ml oil just barely shows on the dipstick.

But....now I have another problem it won't even start. It goes to turn over and then nothing. Checked all connections. I suspect it's the battery. I had to manually fill the battery when I got this and have never had to do that with any other battery I've owned. After I leave it hooked up to the charger it will try to start but then doesn't.

My poor kid....this was his birthday present almost 2 weeks ago and hasn't been able to ride it more then 5 minutes.

Thanks again for all the help. I'll let you know about the filter after I replace the battery and can get this to start.
It should be 700ml or 24 oz. Hopefully your battery will be okay. Proper activation of the battery is important. When you fist filled the battery you should of left it set for an hour or two then put on a slow charge until fully charged. This will make a big difference on how long the battery will last.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 09-21-2017, 09:13 PM   #13

inline oil filter

ok... The inline oil filter is for EPA... EXCESSIVE OIL IS SUPPOSE to be trapped in the filter and let the air go to the carb and sucked in... instead of dripping on the ground... when you add oil ... to read it right... take the dipstick out..... wipe it off...JUST SET IT ON THE WHOLE... DO NOT THREAD IT IN TO READ IT... if should be in the safe marks... screwing it in to read it will be wrong... a s I said only about 160 20 ounces... is all it takes.... I think you have too much oil in it... leave the oil in it on the low mark to see.... and just for a test.... as you say in 5 minutes it shuts off.. and oil drips... to go over the not starting.... it has nothing to do with the oil problem... does it crank??? is all the kill switches in the run position... when you apply the brakes.... if the fuse and the mirco switch works... the tail light comes on... then do you have spark if all this is right>??? as far as the battery having to fill with acid.... this is the best way to ensure a fresh battery instead of a pre-filled one with only 1/2 a battery life... if you still can not get it to turn over ... try another battery... one NOT FROM YOUR CAR... find a friend who has a battery in a lawnmower or such ... please tell us some answers to the above questions.... having a seller not talking to you is bad..... I always tell my customers to call me no matter how stupid of a question.... I want t o help them get it right...

Old 09-21-2017, 09:19 PM   #14

won,t run

I see you say it won,t run after 5 minutes... if you leave this line off of the carb... will it run for more than 5 minutes... if no... then I would check your fuel cap for venting ... to let air in to let fuel flow to the carb... there is a vent hole in the cap or at the top of fuel tank... leave the cap off.... let it idle to see if it shuts off... or only have about 1/4 tank of fuel. and ride it without the cap ... or have the cap not tight... to let air in... this might be the problem for running.... that and too much oil... and not venting... and maybe the blowby problem of rings not sealing yet... how much blowby air comes out of the hose.... much???

Old 09-21-2017, 09:51 PM   #15

how to check oil level properly

please go to