Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2015, 12:52 PM   #2101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolftrax View Post
This was what I was hoping for. Keeping the original and then build a 21" wheel from another hub. I'm tempted to do it my self but may take you up on your offer to build me one.
If you have the time and no distractions, it can be an interesting experience. Trouble appears when you're trying to lace a used rim to a hub, and you can't work the wobble out. Ask me how I know.

A decent truing stand isn't very costly, and you can even get fancy with a HF dial indicator and magnetic base, although I haven't found that to be necessary.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-23-2015, 12:55 PM   #2102

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Please do post more photos.

Our bikes are fuel injected, and we haven't received them yet. Therefore, I don't know much about your carburetor. However, I think it's possible the pilot jet of your carburetor is a little too small. You might want to try the next largest size of pilot jet, and see if helps. You might also want to try adjusting the pilot mixture screw on the carburetor.
I agree. If the slow jet is too small, you can have trouble starting a bike, especially if it is cold outside or you're near sea level. Try backing the pilot mixture screw out 1/2 turn, and see if that helps.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-23-2015, 01:02 PM   #2103

Quote:
The CSC Blog reports our Zongshen RX3 motorcycles are loaded on the Hanjin container vessel Germany, which is currently taking on more cargo in Pusan, South Korea.

Joe reports the vessel is scheduled to "arrive in Long Beach on the 6th of March. Due to the current labor unrest roiling our coast, the berthing date is currently scheduled to be on the 23rd of March."
Ugh, another month. I'm not even able to buy one of these bikes, and I'm getting antsy!

Please Lord, allow the ship to travel safely to Long Beach. Amen.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:04 PM   #2104

Quote:
If one sticks with the 18-inch front wheel, the Pirelli MT21 is an excellent choice for a front tire. The MT21 is a perennial favorite with dual sport riders, and the size 110/80-18 tire is a good fit for the RX3 front wheel.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...t-Rallycross?0
Spud, do you have a concern with such an aggressive tread pattern on a front wheel? I don't have such a concern with my TW, but it's also a 5.10.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:06 PM   #2105

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTEY View Post
That would be a great way to understand the bike. But still not able to get the carb diagram. Since its still so new here. I can see and understand before go on to meddle with it. Not the most familiar person with engines yet. But a good place to start. Refuelled yesterday and still getting 8L to full. But consumption is not good at all. I managed only 85km on the he last fill. Could it be because the bike is still new.
You actually pumped 8l into the tank, after riding 85km?

Old 02-23-2015, 01:11 PM   #2106

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSCDude View Post
I haven't attempted to run the tank dry, nor do I think this is a good idea based on the fact that the fuel pump needs fuel in the tank to stay cool.
An excellent point for the FI bikes, but I don't think there will be a pump in FTEY's bike. He could likely run the bike out of fuel without consequence.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:19 PM   #2107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Spud, do you have a concern with such an aggressive tread pattern on a front wheel? I don't have such a concern with my TW, but it's also a 5.10.
I don't have any concerns whatsoever in that regard. The Pirelli, MT21 front tire is a perennial favorite for many dual sport riders.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-23-2015, 01:23 PM   #2108

I didn't word my question well. I'm thinking about the installation of an aggressive rear tire on a front rim. It doesn't worry me on my TW because it is massive, but I'm not sure how a rear tire would work in the real world on a front rim.

The front tire tread patterns seem to never be as aggressive as the rear with DS tires.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:34 PM   #2109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
...The front tire tread patterns seem to never be as aggressive as the rear with DS tires.
I'm sure that is true for quite a few tires, but that hasn't been my experience for many dirt, and dual sport tires. My good friend Andy bought a Yamaha TT-R225 which had Pirelli, MT21 tires mounted on both wheels. The tread for the MT21 is virtually identical for all tire sizes, both front and rear.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-23-2015, 01:42 PM   #2110

That's good to know. It's something that I hadn't considered until we started these discussions.

Old 02-23-2015, 01:48 PM   #2111

Here is a photograph of MT21 front and rear tires.

For the RX3 I recommended the smallest rear tire, which should have an intermediate width to the two tires in the photograph.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 02-23-2015, 01:53 PM   #2112
Banned

I'm thinking/hoping the difference is due to design

Re maintainance by owners, Thisbike was intended to be serviced by owners (in USA at least). That will (as long as this was addressed in designing and engineering the bikes from the get/go) insure the mess you're dealing with re Kymco DOES NOT happen with our Zongs. This is a GREAT "test" as to how well thought out our bikes were with the maintainance by owners taken into account from the git go, and also to allow "on the trip & off road repairs, at least easy enough to make t to the next town, etc., where help and parts can be obtained if needed! I'm hoping this is the case, and really feel that may be one aspect that will make the bke the "game changer" the Chinese cycle industry really needs to get the Worlds riders attention! Small breakdowns, (until you have an issue(s) out in the boonies, especially if riding ALONE!!), will rapidly become MAJOR problems if its difficult to work on and or diagnose repairs. It also SHOULD be easy to "patch" up enough to make it back to camp or the area you plan to spend the night at, at a minimum.

I guess we will K N O W soon enough, now)!! WOO HOOO!! Way to go, JOE (and CSC!)

Old 02-23-2015, 01:55 PM   #2113

The Zongshen NC250 (ZS177MM) engine is getting rave reviews from some of the AJP PR5 owners.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=125

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 02-23-2015, 02:14 PM   #2114

According to Hanjin, the berthing date for the Germany at Long Beach has been moved back one day, to March 24.

https://www.hanjin.com/hanjin/CUP_HO...?sessLocale=en

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 02-23-2015, 02:32 PM   #2115

Quote:
According to Hanjin, the berthing date for the Germany at Long Beach has been moved back one day, to March 24.

https://www.hanjin.com/hanjin/CUP_HO...?sessLocale=en

Are you tracking it progress across the ocean?